ego self

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
shamus1237

ego self

Post by shamus1237 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm

yes can someone explain who or what will be in charge of ourself if the ego is let go of ?

I mean the ego as an awareness of the now moment

how would i get home if the ego does not direct me ?
or is it the ego that tells me i have talent that i need to direct to achieve its full abilities why would letting go of this aspect of
awareness in this now moment lead my developing ?

what i need is understand exactly what tolle means by ego also what is his meaning of self ?

isn't the ego the subjective moment of now consciousness that reflects now to the individual and helps the individual achieve

shamus

garuda

Re: ego self

Post by garuda » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:34 pm

shamus1237 wrote:yes can someone explain who or what will be in charge of ourself if the ego is let go of ?

Try it and see for yourself! :D
Recognize present awareness......... rest in that awareness..........don’t become distracted.

as.it.is

Post by as.it.is » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:10 am

who? who is that really , the mind will alway try to understand that but can't.

What? again the mind or ego is trying to understand it but can't.

The fact that we try to encapsulate a understanding takes us away from the truth,

I don't know and I can't answer you.

I mean we can seek our entire lifetimes for that answer and never find it.

Be aware of the unknown , the mind/ego does not like that idea , it says : I need to know otherwise if I don't know this will treaten my (ego/mind) existence.

Being . be in the now , whatever it comes up like thoughts , feelings and exterior events it's meant to comeup it's the order

of GOD, who are we?
As soon as we think we know something we just add to our phantom identity of me/mind and ego that thrives on that.

Surrender to what is happening now and just be aware , Know that you don't know.
When you awake it will be your biggest regret.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Ego is what is identified with as "me". It's the voice of self-judgment that claims to be superior or inferior, always trying to get more, or get rid of something because it feels inadequate; it is a creation of the mind and along with the mind it divides wholeness into "this" and "that" and sets you apart from everything else and to which everything else is compared or referenced - there is "me" and "other".

You'll get home because you aren't stupid; the mind still has memory and intelligence, and that memory will arise to do what's necessary. The ego is the one that will get angry or berate itself if it gets lost on the way home. It's the one that strives to achieve, gaining a greater sense of itself when it does and feeling defeated if a goal is not met. It always wants more: more achievement, greater understanding, more possessions, more love, etc. because that's where it derives its identity. It feels separate and seeks wholeness in things outside in what appears to be "other".

Ego is another name for Tolle's "little me", the small self, the one that thinks it's separate. Sometimes you'll see that word capitalized: Self. That refers to your true nature, or unconditioned consciousness/awareness. When fully present the ego evaporates and Self is left standing on its own, cognizant of wholeness, peaceful and still. "Self" is always present but when ego is identified with it gets overshadowed.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

shamus1237

Post by shamus1237 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 pm

if you didn't have a "me" then why would "you" try to be a better person or learn to become a public speaker say like tolle ?

shamus

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:03 pm

shamus1237 wrote:if you didn't have a "me" then why would "you" try to be a better person or learn to become a public speaker say like tolle ?

shamus

If you don't have a "me" these things lose their heaviness.
You more "allow yourself to be a better person" than "try to be a better person".
Loss and gain are part of the game, not matters of life and death.
And this "game" is 100% guaranteed to end for each and every one us whether we consider ourselves to be winning or losing and there is no prize to take home with you at the end of it, so lighten up.
With no "me" you can "lighten up" and see things the way they are rather than how a "dogma of thought" --an ego-- demands that you see them.
Good is not less than great and common is not eclipsed by extraordinary because there is such a minuscule difference between them that they seem almost the same -- until an ego describes them.

Inner freedom is the beginning of all freedom and a mind-made me is what stands in the way of it.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

shamus1237

Post by shamus1237 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:29 pm

i've not seen anyone who has "dropped " his/her ego as of yet .. hidden it yes, but lost it no...

many guru's have come to america and taken that fall.....

the problem with this let's all drop our ego's is this opens the self to fall prey to archetypal and dark energies such as what happened
to the german people under Hilter

you know to this day the german people have a weakness that's why scientology is banned in germany

tolle has many things to say as a theory yet that's all it is a least in this now.... a theory

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:59 pm

shamus1237 wrote:i've not seen anyone who has "dropped " his/her ego as of yet ..
How would you recognize someone who had actually dropped his/her ego?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:43 pm

coriolis wrote:Good is not less than great and common is not eclipsed by extraordinary because there is such a minuscule difference between them that they seem almost the same -- until an ego describes them.
Great quote. I would even go further and say there is no difference...until an ego describes them.

People don't "drop the ego" - that's just a phrase that is sometimes used. When seeing clearly, ego is recognized for what it is, an illusion - what's to drop? How do you drop an illusion, a "mirage"? You don't. Instead, the attachment to the illusory ego dissolves as the light of consciousness "sees" the illusion for what it is. When you have seen a mirage for what it is there is no more chasing after it as though it were real. When no longer seen as real, ego comes when needed and dissolves again spontaneously when not. There is "no one" that does it.

And now I will put on my moderator's cap and remind people to follow posting guidelines - use of capitalization and punctuation will aid those who don't speak English as their native language.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:35 pm

kiki wrote:People don't "drop the ego" - that's just a phrase that is sometimes used. When seeing clearly, ego is recognized for what it is, an illusion - what's to drop? How do you drop an illusion, a "mirage"? You don't. Instead, the attachment to the illusory ego dissolves as the light of consciousness "sees" the illusion for what it is. When you have seen a mirage for what it is there is no more chasing after it as though it were real. When no longer seen as real, ego comes when needed and dissolves again spontaneously when not. There is "no one" that does it. .
kiki does it again. Wow. If we are firm in the Now, the ego is not something feared. Having always been an illusion (and delusion), it cannot be more than that. From the Stillness, all gaia is watched, and the illusion of ego-self is easy to spot. But recognizing the illusory quality of the ego from the unconscious, preawakened state is impossible. It is solipsistic. The ego requires a degree of unconsciousness to remain for it to attach to. When that is gone, but Self remains, ego must vanish.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 am

The ego requires a degree of unconsciousness to remain for it to attach to. When that is gone, but Self remains, ego must vanish.
That's right. Well said.
---