A person is obese in order to set himself apart?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Out of My Mind

A person is obese in order to set himself apart?

Post by Out of My Mind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 am

Somewhere in the path of listening to or reading Eckhart's teachings, I think I "got" that obesity serves one's need to be special. As a 300-pound, 63 year-old woman, my obesity makes me invisable. People do not engage me; they pretend not to notice me. It seems odd to ask how my huge figure, which seems to render me "invisable," makes me special?

When I turn my attention to dieting, I ultimately end up weighing more, probably because whatever a person focuses on, grows!

There are a zillion weight-loss diets in existence. If Eckhart were in that business, what do you think his recommendation for me would be?

Ok. I think that posing the question to those who listen has given an answer: Presence will eliminate overeating because that state cannot support a wrong action, such as overeating.

On a practical level, how would this work? The project of dieting makes a whole lot of mental noise. Questions like, why am I inappropriately hungry? get 50,000 answers that make no effective difference. Dieting makes me "mental," when it would be best to be entirely out of my mind. I need to practice Presence so that it can stop my insane overeating. Like learning anything, I can increase my Presence through practice.

In this post, I see that I need to let go of my obesity problem and diet so that I can practice Presence. Do you have more light to shed on this matter?

Webwanderer

Re: A person is obese in order to set himself apart?

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:29 am

Just a couple of minor tips or pointers to get one in the proper perspective. First, it is not a matter of "wrong'" action. There is only action that has a corresponding result. Want a different result, apply a different action. Second, give up dieting. Rather choose to eat healthy foods in reasonable amounts. Dedicate yourself to this. Don't even bother to get on a scale. Weight is irrelavant. Live a healthy life, and let the chips fall where they may.

It's one thing to be conscious of obesity, it's another to identify with it. Recognize who you are - conscious being. You are not a name, or a label, or a body. You are not an emotion, or a belief, or a mind. You "ARE". That is enough... That is everything. (and nothing)

Be present, be clear of identifying concepts, and be grateful for life as it is. It is only the mind that can turn it sour.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 pm

What has helped me in the past is to pay attention to the sensation of hunger and let whatever thoughts I might have about it come and go as they will but not become engaged with them by simply keeping my attention, in a quiet way, on the bodily sensation of hunger.

When I do this I find that hunger no longer triggers a mental/emotional reflex to "eat something".
It is also not an altogether unpleasant sensation.
It has a clear, clean, awake quality about it that is just as appealing, if not more so, than the sensation of satiety we hope to attain from eating.

Then, after enjoying the sensation of hunger, when you do eat make an exquisite art of it.
Fully savor each bite. Sense the flavors that blend into the taste experience.
The more you enjoy eating the less it becomes a "habit" and more of "an exercise in presence" you look forward to fully experiencing.
Slowly and sensually savor whatever it is you are eating whether it is a snack or a meal.
If you can bring your awareness out of your "thoughts" and into the realm where you can sense, without thought, word, concept, or dieting rules, your body's legitimate urges then you're on the way to enjoying the act of eating much more while eating much less to do so.

A body knows what it needs -- but frequently cannot be heard above the din of thought and mind-based emotion.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

Out of My Mind

Post by Out of My Mind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Webwanderer, thanks for the welcome and the pointers. The reminders and pointers make me smile inside and out. I'm so glad that I found this place.

Coriolis, I'm certainly going to make use of your tips. Thank you a lot. I want you to know that, computerwise, I'm pretty unsophisticated. Consequently, I spent some time trying to remove the insect that was running around your screen name. :lol:

coriolis

Post by coriolis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm

I did the same thing with the bug when I first ran across it, that's why I chose it.
And it has nothing to do with computer naivety.
I've been making a living with computers going on 30 years now and still went to the kitchen to fetch the flyswatter.

It's a satori bug.

Reminds one that perception vs. reality is still the most pervasive joke around.
Look deeply inside yourself and try to find yourself.
The ensuing failure is the true finding
---- Wu Hsin

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:23 am

Welcome to the forum, Out of My mind. The point of our board is the investigation of our true nature, rather then getting caught up in labels and ideas about what appears in our true nature (consciousness). So when you find yourself caught up in some story about yourself the first thing to do is recognize it as just that - a story. If you can remember to return again and again to the sense of self without anything attached to that sense of self (the "I am" mentioned by Webwanderer) you will eliminate the stress about whatever form the body has. As mentioned, eat healthy and remain present with "what is" (just be true to your screen name) and let consciousness dissolve labels, names, and judgments into consciousness itself, and take what comes.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 pm

So this reply is about two years late; I hope that whoever wrote the post will find this! The writings of Geneen Roth link food and spirituality, how when you eat too much or too little, you are reflecting the belief that you will never get enough, or that you do not deserve to eat. She advocates listening to your body and ditching diets, simply eating until you are not hungry anymore, rather than when you are full. The great thing about this is you can eat whatever you want, whatever your body needs (not your mind!)

Marianne Williamson has also written to an extent on how the subconscious ego influences our body size. Once you are connected to your inner aliveness it tends to sort things out for you. I still enjoy chocolate on a daily basis and I weigh 119 pounds, it's all about listening to your body and not about what diet gurus tell you about what foods will kill you and what foods will make you look thin. The media makes us think that we should be thinner than we need to be.

Everyone should be celebrated, and people that stare because you are overweight or say derogatory things just haven't found it within themselves to celebrate all life forms and can't see your beauty shine through on the physical level; it's their problem, they can't sense the divinity that connects you.

Body image is something that a lot of women struggle with in particular, and I'd say that feeling the inner body is the best way to overcome that, because that is where true self worth comes from, when you realise that you are not your physical body but the aliveness within it, if you can even call it 'self' worth.Inner body awareness is also a way to deal with the feelings that drive you to overeat. I hope this benefits other people even though it's late, so me posting here won't be completely pointless!

I'd really suggest looking up 'intuitive eating', as that's an eating philosophy that is compatible with presence, and Geneen Roth's work for anyone who struggles with this; there are guidlines online so you don't have to buy anything :)

From the conscious eating website:
4 parts to Conscious Eating™:

Intention to eat consciously, Choosing to eat when physically hungry
Being present with the food - taste the food, enjoy the experience
Stop eating when body feels satisfied
Check in with your body after eating - how does it feel now, in 20 minutes, after a couple of hours?