Self-remembrance Vs. Forgetting the self

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
suraj

Self-remembrance Vs. Forgetting the self

Post by suraj » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:11 pm

I know this is a result of too much reading and intellectualizing , but I wanted to clarify this :
I have read about remembering one's self all the time as one goes about daily activities , what Krishnamurthi calls - "self-rememberance" and other people have also said the same thing. I practice it . But recently I also read Osho saying that there should be moments when you "forget your self" completely , like when you dance or listen to music . You should be totally immersed in it . This will give tremendous freedom.
Can you please clarify . Thanks in advance!
I AM

heidi

Re: Self-remembrance Vs. Forgetting the self

Post by heidi » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I think it's the word "self" that's confusing.
Krishnamurthi's self-remembrance is calling back your spirit or returning to consciousness (say from being in a mind-based place - this is just my take on it) where Osho's forgetting the self - that self is the mind made self. When we engage in a creative act we often get lost in the divine process; losing ourselves and becoming one with spirit, what some people call The Zone. It's a divine situation. :)

So, they're actually saying the same thing, but with the creative act it's letting go and allowing, and with the self remembrance, it's a consciousness practice.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

dubhasa

Post by dubhasa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:33 pm

suraj wrote:I know this is a result of too much reading and intellectualizing , but I wanted to clarify this :
I have read about remembering one's self all the time as one goes about daily activities , what Krishnamurthi calls - "self-rememberance" and other people have also said the same thing. I practice it . But recently I also read Osho saying that there should be moments when you "forget your self" completely , like when you dance or listen to music . You should be totally immersed in it . This will give tremendous freedom.
Can you please clarify . Thanks in advance!
My interpretation is that both are right and saything almost similar thing. Krishnamyrthi calls for "Self-rememberance' (Big S) while Osha asks to forget about self (small s).

heidi

Post by heidi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 am

"Self-rememberance' (Big S) while Osha asks to forget about self (small s).
In a nutshell :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

weichen

Post by weichen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:34 am

Tolle pointed out that if you walk in the forest and suddenly forgot about your name, your past history, this is fine. in fact this can be really liberating. no accumulation of psychological time.

no won

Post by no won » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:40 am

Tolle pointed out that if you walk in the forest and suddenly forgot about your name, your past history, this is fine. in fact this can be really liberating

Or maybe you just fell and bumped your head in the forest. That is stupid to "me" anyway.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 pm

One thing I noticed about awakening - It's always simpler than I previously thought. :wink:

One might even say that the more one thinks about awakening, the less likely it is to actually occur.