Sharon-X's Smelly armpits

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
sharon-x

Sharon-X's Smelly armpits

Post by sharon-x » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Tolle’s quote:
“…All wanting implies that the future is more desirable than the present, does it not?...”

And this damn question again – why do anything?

Today I went to my bathroom. I looked at the mirror.
Oh, I notice, my armpits are smelly.
Oh, I notice, my hair is hard and messy cos I haven’t washed it in a week.
I WANT to wash it.
I WANT to get into a better moment in the future where my hair is shiny and silky.
I even WANT the process of shampooing it, I like how nice it feels to stand under warm water.
So much better than the present moment where my hair and armpits are sticky.

But now, standing in my bathroom, I fully accept the moment. I do not judge if I look good or if I look bad.
I just notice the hair and the texture of the dirt.
It is what it is. There is no need or wanting to change it.
If I WANTED to change this situation it means that I am looking for a better moment in the future.
Last edited by sharon-x on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Webwanderer

Re: Sharon-X's Smelly armpits

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Sharon-x, welcome back. :)

Life is not without purpose or a sense of self. The distinction to be made is between that of a separate self debating with the mirror about wanting to be glorified, and a harmonious Self that recognizes its own essence in everything it sees.

There is also the conundrum of wanting. While it's true that wanting a different future reflects a dissatisfaction of the present, the reality is that change is always happening. Consider also that many "want" things to remain the same. Does that not represent a judgment on possible futures. Change is inevitable. The question is, how do we relate to it.

As an artist I'm sure you are familiar with dancing. Dancing effectively and with beauty is always a harmonious experience. One moves with the flow of music, and partners, and energy. So it is with life. There too one may move and flow with our partners, and energy, and the music of life. It is less a matter of wanting change than living within that flow.

When you are standing in front of your mirror, smelling your armpits and trying to make sense out of dull hair, it is that ego sense of "me" seeking rational answers for music it cannot play. Engage with the world with what ever it offers. Rather than standing and watching your hair droop day after day, dance the dance and watch the show. There is no need to invest in the future. Enjoy the moment, and let things flow as they will. Just maintain a clear sense of the aware being that you are. Be conscious of awareness and engage with what life offers.

A last word on engagement with life. When one is in harmony with life's flow, there is a joy in being, a love of the moment as it is. Recognize moments of harmony, both active and inactive. Love is one's guide to truth. Love the nature of activity and participation, love the shining spirit expressing through everyone you meet whether they recognize it or not. The embodiment of love brings richness to song and smelly armpits alike. There is no higher expression than love for the world within us. Remember Tolle points out that we are a "field of awareness" that contains all that we see and experience. Live in that awareness.

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Hey Sharon,

You may find this thread helpful http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth ... f=4&t=3772

Also here is somewhere a thread called "Doing anything".
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

A Name is a Label

Post by A Name is a Label » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 pm

I don't there's anything "wrong" with smelly armpits, and I also don't think there's anything "wrong" with wanting to clean your armpits.

I think as long as you aren't seeking happiness or fulfillment through washing your armpits, there is no "destructive" ego in washing an armpit.... unless of course you are thinking "if only I washed my armpits, then I'd be happy!" :shock: :lol: By what you said, in regards to not washing your armpit, aren't you also WANTING to dissolve the ego?

ps- i'd love to hear your music!!

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 am

Your essential self is no more or less present despite whatever grooming is going on or not going on. It's the same with songwriting or any other activity. Engage with life while being attuned to your essential self, and in that way you won't create an identity out of what you do or don't do.

To take the "all wanting" quote and using it as a reason not to engage life is to miss what awakening really is - to be aware of your true Self even in the midst of everything else. That gives you freedom to do anything in the world of form, which is quite handy since that is where we find ourselves.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:02 am

Webwanderer wrote:Sharon-x, welcome back. :)
There is also the conundrum of wanting. While it's true that wanting a different future reflects a dissatisfaction of the present, the reality is that change is always happening. Consider also that many "want" things to remain the same. Does that not represent a judgment on possible futures. Change is inevitable. The question is, how do we relate to it.
Webwanderer take this post as something from my heart, you never cease to surprise me with your posts, this may sound like exageration and that i m idolizing you out of gratitude but really i think your sentences have a feeling of divinity so keep posting these posts, the part above "knocked me out" for some time, thank you. :)
Seriously , consider traveling like Adya and knock out peoples egos on Fiji islands and similar places.
Free of need to be Free.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 am

SharonX i really enjoyed your WHY questions, it brings things to the bottom of it doesent it, but really consider the nature of these prizes of good feelings ego has for us if we complete the mission yes of course it feels really good to see all the fans screaming in the love for you that you identify with, but what would happen if you were a victim of Inquisition being burned as a witch on the town square, you really have to see things from different perspectives, ego is luring you to complete the task it has for you and you will get a nice shiny feeling for it, ok but taking worst drugs will give you a lot better feeling then the one with fans, so whats the purpose of the feeling really, and once you realize it you will not really crave for it anymore, but why depend on specific outcomes for happyness , nature of universe is that outcomes are rarely certain.
Free of need to be Free.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:20 am

BrahmanEternal, thanks for your kind words. I really see my presence here, as not only a contribution to point out truth as I see it to others, but also as an opportunity to find clarity in my "self". It is indeed a blessing to feel out essential truth to share.

As for as going on the road with another traveling satsang, I'll leave that to those more adept than I. Besides, once I started charging for my presence and insight, someone would start a thread here complaining about my prices! :lol:

weichen

Post by weichen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:23 am

It is really like driving a car, you have gas pedal and brake. You step on the gas when there is a lot of space before your car, and you step on the brake when there is a traffic jam.

It is indeed more fun to step on the gas, to enjoy the acceleration. Don't worry, the cars behind you will honk at you if you don't speed up to take advantage of the space in front of you.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 am

thats a sweet analogy weichen,
prize of ego won or lost, life will not be lost but enjoyed fully and without breaks.
Free of need to be Free.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:33 am

Excellent thread, one and all. I went for a run earlier today and realize I have smelly armpits as well...

What to do?

I think I'll take a shower. I have found that I can be very present in the shower for some reason. There is something about the sound of the water, the water on the skin, that makes you take notice. I read of an artist who said that showering was his meditation. I believe it resonates with me because I shower after I meditate in the morning and I am usually in a state of heightened presence.

Maybe shower for the sake of showering...
Be present, be pleasant.

BrahmanEternal

Post by BrahmanEternal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:47 am

Good point Onceler, Maybe when we shower we cool the ego in the brain. :) :| :D
No time needed, the Super Showering Ego Anihillator is here, only 10$ with picture of Tolle and his dog for first 100000 orders.
Free of need to be Free.

no won

Post by no won » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 am

If I WANTED to change this situation it means that I am looking for a better moment in the future.

Its really only a thought when looked at. There was (its past) ifs, wants, change, better future and so on. When observed a bit more it is seen that the moment changes spontaneously. The mistake is the belief in"i" and not the ifs, wants, etc. What is wrong with any of the thoughts when the "i" the ego is seen through, which you have already seen the ego i has no power of existance. There is also judgement about this moment and comparison to a better future. Its only another thought labeled judgement and comparison. All observed in awareness being.
As a performer and "who" isn't, perform the act of the ego and enjoy a performance too as you are also the audience. The only difference is "you" do not believe the act on stage or off and are FREE to enjoy and play. Have fun, at the end of the day where has it gone, its all become a past thought and little ego likes to replay it in the NOW. Yet its remains Now, always present.

sharon-x

Post by sharon-x » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52 am

Happy to report that armpits are clean, hair is shampooed , performing next week in some countries in South America (Just a mini tour), and standing in my commitments to the record company.

Why? I don’t know, I just got too tired interpreting every passing moment in my life.
It’s so much easier just living.

I wrote “Happy to report”. But I do not feel the feeling of happiness or joy .
I’m fine, I’m relaxed and I’m in a good mood.
Webwanderer, you said “… When one is in harmony with life's flow, there is a joy in being, a love of the moment as it is….”

I guess I’m not in harmony with life’s flow.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:21 am

sharon-x wrote:I wrote “Happy to report”. But I do not feel the feeling of happiness or joy .
I’m fine, I’m relaxed and I’m in a good mood.
Webwanderer, you said “… When one is in harmony with life's flow, there is a joy in being, a love of the moment as it is….”

I guess I’m not in harmony with life’s flow.
Well, that is common from the perspective of the ego/mind. So long as there is disatisfaction with the way things are, harmony is likely to be fleeting. Who else but a mentally defined identity would say "I am not in harmony"? I mention this only as a pointer to the distinction between a "me self" that sees only life's shadows, and a conscious-awareness that only sees.

There are moments in everyones life who genuinely seeks clarity, when one recognizes a sliver of clear presence, when some insight points us to an experience of awakening. It is an instance where we are able to release our anxieties and see from a greater perspective on life. In those moments we can get a taste of genuine harmony - and the appreciative joy that accompanies it.

The thing is, don't beat yourself up or make condemning judgments of failure on yourself for not living in harmony. That's just more ego/mind attempting to punish its own manifested shortcomings. Remember, you are not the identity that believes itself to be separate from the world around it. You are the awareness within which all events occur. When that is seen with some clarity, a kinship with all life dawns within ones consciousness.

The experience we have of life, whether we are rich or poor, is based on the lenses through which we perceive our moment to moment existance. The more we can clear those lenses, and live openly in what life offers, the more that essential perspective will free us from biased ego/mind point of view.