Physical Reaction to Job Situation

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Tiziana2

Physical Reaction to Job Situation

Post by Tiziana2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:01 am

Hi All,

I am an Italian woman, 48 years old. I have been interested in spiritual matters for quite a few years now. I was a follower of Osho.

I have read The Power of Now and Stillness Speaks. I like to listen to Eckhart’s talks in the car (but not only in the car).
This is my first post here.

My question is as follows.

In my job, I have recently been promoted to a new position, in which, for the first time in my life, I am head of a department where I work.
And I get the feeling that I just can’t handle it. I'm just not up for the job.

The problem is that I have a strong physical reaction to things in my job.
My heart starts pounding; my voice goes all weak.
And I go bright red in the face.
The whole thing is quite overwhelming and frankly very distressing.

I won’t go on at length, because I think the situation is relatively clear.
Any advice that you might have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any possible words of support.

Karol

innerhike

Re: Physical Reaction to Job Situation

Post by innerhike » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:18 am

Karol,

Welcome and here's wishing you Peace and Happiness!

I have enjoyed reading some of the teachings of Osho. And I have spent time with some of his disciples over the years, though I never met him.

Like my friend says "First rule is do not panic". And "Last rule is do not panic".

I myself have had experiences where I realized I was in over my head and I ended up backing out of the situation and stepping down into a job of less responsibility. This has been a new or rare thing for me in that usually my egoic reaction was to push through the situation and take it "like a man".

However, what I did or experienced may not apply to your situation. I feel that you should be the judge of what you will do and just carefully consider what people are saying to you on this forum.

Here's my advice in your situation:

First, according to research it takes approximately six months to acclimatize to a new job and a job change is one of the most stressful events in people's lives.

So give yourself a chance, a break.

Second, you can use this opportunity to take your practice of Peace to a new level. Invite the discomfort, the suffering, and discover experientially their illusory nature instead of just reading about it or hearing about it.

I found that when I just sat with all of my despair and grief and knew that I had no support systems that I could turn to, that it all just evaporated. This was how I over came my anxiety/depression for the first time in my life 15 years ago. For the first time I realized I did not have to run or react. All I had to do was invite it all in, and just be with it. This was the key to my happiness.

The ego will use new things to tell you or itself that it needs to be protected.

You as Presence can use these opportunities to invite the Ego and its concerns and abide with them as your true nature.

Do not move. Be still. No matter what is arising.

It is possible you can use this situation instead of being used by the Ego.

Be centered first. Then you will know what to do.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:19 am

Tiziana2 wrote:The problem is that I have a strong physical reaction to things in my job.
My heart starts pounding; my voice goes all weak.
And I go bright red in the face.
The whole thing is quite overwhelming and frankly very distressing.
Hello Tiziana2, welcome to our forum.

Some of your distress may be coming from looking too much in the mirror. The heart pounding and the red face is generally an anxiety reaction that comes from self-judgment over our public performance. We feel we are in the spot light and our weaknesses are exposed when in truth the magnifying glass is self imposed. Just remember that you are not being paid to look good in your role, you are being paid to get a job done. Focus on that job and realize (as innerhike pointed out), that your going to make some mistakes in adjusting to your new position.

Do you think there is not a transition period? Of course there is. Go to work, learn your new position and take charge of your role. If you screw up - learn from it and move on. Meanwhile get a sense of the whole picture - the dynamics of your experience and how mind interacts with its new environment.

Remember also that you are not your mind or your emotions or your environment. You are the awareness of these "things" - the space in which the events in life flow through. Rediscover the distinction between mind and presence and the anxiety over your new position will lessen.

Ives

Post by Ives » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:05 am

Hi Tiziana and welcome to the board!

Your situation reminds me of a similar reaction I once had in an office job.
To resolve it, I used a technique that would probably not be considered very ‘spiritual’, but which was actually quite effective in handling unwanted physical reactions.

What I did was I bought a self-hypnosis tape that was designed to boost self-confidence.
Every morning, before going to work, I would spend about half an hour at home listening to the tape and trying my best to sink into its calming influence.

It gradually had the effect of retraining my physical reactions.
And that made it a lot easier to face things at work.

It’s just an idea.

Let us know how it goes!

P.S. Also, as mentioned in the excellent posts above, it is often our own judgement and our self-criticism that is the hardest part in these situations. Maybe try to be a little less hard on yourself too.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:29 am

These first are egoic recommendations because most people live in an egoic environment.

I have been promoted to management positions from technical ones. Management is essentially a people-job. Speak individually to each of your subordinates, in private. Prepare a set of questions which you will use to direct the discussion. Tell them that you will only deal with problems after the person who brings you the problem demonstrates that they have worked hard to find a solution by themselves. Also ask them earnestly what changes they would make in the department if they had your job. Ask them what motivates them most, money, new challenges, career advancement, more holiday time, etc... Tell them you care and then demonstrate it. Praise individuals in public, criticize them in private.

Spend time in pure Presence throughout the day.

Welcome, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

heidi

Post by heidi » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi Karol, and welcome to the forum. I get these little "messages from the universe" in my mailbox each morning, and today's made me think of your post.
Here it is:

Karol, do you ever wonder whether you're on the right path?
Do you sometimes feel vulnerable in new relationships?
Does certainty elude you when big decisions loom?
Have you ever gotten nervous at the mere thought of speaking to an audience?
Outstanding, Karol! Fantastic! Because so have all the other legends who came before you.

The Universe

Humility shows respect, Karol. Respect shows love. And love can only exist when there's a vision for prosperity, a belief in your own worthiness, and a sense that all is exactly as it should be. Cool, huh? Bring on the "butterflies."

:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Great post Heidi, loved it. :D

Tiziana2

Post by Tiziana2 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi All,

Million of thanks for your help and support. Reading your replies made me realise how the mind brings us into confusion and a sense of “being lost”.

I’ve printed out your posts, which I bring with me every day and when I feel lost I read some sentences, this helps.

I wonder how the business/job world would it be if people could communicate openly…

Karol