Psychadelic Drugs and Enlightenment

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jugu

Psychadelic Drugs and Enlightenment

Post by jugu » Sun May 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Drugs such as psilocybin mushrooms, mescalline, and LSD can bring upon an egoless state described by ET and many other spiritual teachers. Although the experiences are very powerful, they often leave just as easily as they had came. Could a prolonged use of such drugs be useful in the search for enlightenment or can they only provide us with just a taste? Also, could these experiences perhaps provide more content for the ego and thus more resistance to presence?

Sighclone

Re: Psychadelic Drugs and Enlightenment

Post by Sighclone » Sun May 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, jugu. During Eckhart's first webcast with Oprah, he calmly announced that he had taken LSD after awakening. He said it was a violent attack on the brain and did not enhance his experience. Dosages, monitoring, after-effects, the relative influence of the right vs. left brains, etc. add dimension to your question. But in general, adding drugs to the healthy brain surely cannot be the path to permanent natural enlightenment, in my opinion.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun May 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Hello jugu, welcome to our forum.

To add to what Sighclone pointed out about Tolle's experience with LSD, Tolle said that while LSD brought one to an enhanced state of presence awareness, it did so because of the magnified sensory experience. The richness of sight, sound and sensation brought the "mind" to focus on now, giving a temporary respite from attachment to memories of past and imaginings of future. It did not however, particularly clear one from identification with the concept of "me".

True freedom is not regained so much from present focus as it is from a shift in perception, from being a personal me looking out on a separate world -to spacious being aware of life's experience as content within. The Power of Now is what allows that shift in perception to happen naturally.

So while a drug induced experience "may" be helpful in breaking the attachment to a mind structured imaginary view of reality, it is the everyday ordinary living in presence that fosters the genuine realization of the Natural State.

Kaeo_Derlup

Post by Kaeo_Derlup » Mon May 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi Forum
Regarding this topic, let me share with you what once I was told (... and it was a truly reality for me) regarding drugs and awakening: Psichodelic Drugs open the DOOR.... but prohibit the entrance".

Cheers.

Kaeo_Derlup

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon May 19, 2008 4:35 pm

The artificial manipulation of consciousness, it seems to me, is egoic doing - trying to "get" expanded consciousness, awareness - trying to avoid Now.
For most of my adult life I was an egoic doer - trying to get more, have more, be more. Some say I was pretty successful at it - and yet nothing was ever enough - there was no peace - no joy.
Only when I stopped trying for the egoic more - simply surrendered to "enough" - to Now - to awareness - did peace show up - and then joy.
(Of course I still DO - the dishes and laundry don"t wash themselves - I still need food and shelter!).

Peace and Joy
Peace

Crystalrays

Post by Crystalrays » Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 am

Your suggestion is that these drugs can enhance aquiring higher consciousness.

Maybe for experimental use the experience may be useful although not necessary.

Real consciousness is a state of 'being' which does not feed itself on obsessive behaviours. Such are due to unconscious behaviour taking control of ones 'being' and 'presence' in the 'now'.

So addiction is unconscious behaviour and whilst taking drugs recreationally may not predispose you to addiction, it is well known how many drugs all to easily overtake the person as a means of escape from 'mind noise'.

Maybe they are a non-conscious way of achieving a rendezvous with the now?

What we are attempting is to increase conscious behaviours in ourselves to grasp 'presence' and 'now' in ways that are not so easily removed from us by external influences. Such is to converge on a lifestyle of 'enlightenment' absent the need for external influences.

So what you suggest sounds interesting but I trust you are aware of its superficial nature?

minaret

Post by minaret » Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Drugs such as psilocybin mushrooms, mescalline, and LSD can bring upon an egoless state described by ET and many other spiritual teachers.
Hi jugo

I dont know whether my story will influence your question.

I was a teen in the 60's when I met my husband to be. we were both deeply drawn to consciousness raising & read & discussed everything that was available at the time. For me I went down the yoga path, as I found meditation deeply calming ( i was a completely, nervous & hyperactive youth). My husband experimented with drugs & remarked on the depth of the meaning of life it brought him... but it didnt last long enough for him, it was only nice as long as the drug was in his veins ... and then, because he had to hang around with the wrong kind of people to feed his habit... needless to say ... he started using very different drugs ... very addictive ....then one of his friends died from an overdose... That didnt stop him & we later divorced. He ended up on the street. He died young, when all his vital organs just couldnt take any more. Yet here was once a man, with a deeply philosophical, intellectually, questioning mind, once my soulmate, who just took a wrong turning.

Kaeo_Derlup is right
Psichodelic Drugs open the DOOR.... but prohibit the entrance".
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free". Kazantzakis

jugu

Post by jugu » Sun May 25, 2008 9:14 pm

I've noticed that hangovers are also similar to what mushroom highs can give me. It sounds strange but it feels great. I think that maybe being in a extreme physical state can bring about awareness of impermanence. Ha!

minaret

Post by minaret » Tue May 27, 2008 10:32 am

I've also discovered certain breathing exercises can also bring on this exhalted state! :)
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free". Kazantzakis

jugu

Post by jugu » Tue May 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Hehehe, right right! I should give that a try!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 12:28 am

Mineret is right. There are several effective versions - rebirthing, holotropic breath work, science of breath - just to name a few. They generally all have the same basic "connected breathing" technic, but differ in their mindsets, speed of breath, environment and longevity. Anytime I want to get clear of a thought trap, I take a few connected deep breaths and relax into now. Great tool to assist in awakening.

WW

Aware_Then

Post by Aware_Then » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Webwanderer wrote: .....................to a spacious being aware of life's experience as content within.
This is an amazingly enlightened statement Webwanderer!!!

I'm assuming that you are descibing how one views the universe:

i.e. Everthing in the universe is contained within us, opposed to the normal perspective of us being contained by the universe.

Does this relect your state of consciousness? If so I would love to learn more on the subject.

Lee
What you thinks on the outside is actually on the inside!!

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:20 pm

That is good stuff WW, thanks, Lee for bringing it to my attention.

My take on drugs is that it may be a door or path for some, but certainly not all. My own use gave me the notion that there is a an expansive universe within and without. Of course, it can be dangerous and destructive. I was fortunate.
Be present, be pleasant.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:37 am

Aware_Then wrote:
Webwanderer wrote: .....................to a spacious being aware of life's experience as content within.
This is an amazingly enlightened statement Webwanderer!!!

I'm assuming that you are descibing how one views the universe:

i.e. Everthing in the universe is contained within us, opposed to the normal perspective of us being contained by the universe.

Does this relect your state of consciousness? If so I would love to learn more on the subject.

Lee
If you mean the conscious universe of which I am aware, yes. The only universe one can know is that which is manifest within present consciousness. There is one perspective of which each of us is familiar that is generated conceptually through a thought grouping of personal identity. But there is also a more subtle perspective of spacious being that is the field of awareness which contains all the forms of which one is conscious - either directly or subconsciously.

When one is mentally silent this spacious perspective may become conscious; a little at first, becoming clearer with experience.

Aware_Then

Post by Aware_Then » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Yes, but does this reflect your current state of consciousness, are you aware of this yourself?

Lee
What you thinks on the outside is actually on the inside!!