After awakening

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Bobby08

After awakening

Post by Bobby08 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:30 am

Hi, I am currently reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and I have a question. I think some of you may know that we have certain lessons to learn while we are on Earth, as in spiritual lessons and that's why we take on problems and choose to experience what we do. So my question is, as I have not awakened yet myself, when one does awaken and the ego dissolves, do we still have such lessons to learn? I mean if we become aware, does our life become completely peaceful? Sorry, if my question isn't clear. Thanks.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Re: After awakening

Post by erict » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 am

How can I tell which lessons I am to learn?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

BradD

Post by BradD » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 am

Its sort of like taking off a pair of crap sunglasses, you can see everything for what it is and its no less than beautiful.

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Focus on the present moment. Answers come with it.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Bobby08 wrote:Hi, I am currently reading "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and I have a question. I think some of you may know that we have certain lessons to learn while we are on Earth, as in spiritual lessons and that's why we take on problems and choose to experience what we do. So my question is, as I have not awakened yet myself, when one does awaken and the ego dissolves, do we still have such lessons to learn? I mean if we become aware, does our life become completely peaceful? Sorry, if my question isn't clear. Thanks.
Hi Bobby, welcome to our forum. Your question is one based in a New Age perspective that assumes we are here to work on problems. It's not that there is no truth in that take, but it tends to lead one down a path of mental searching for answers related to specific issues. A search of that type will likely last a lifetime.

In the Non-Dual approach to awakening, specific issues are secondary to clarity of being. Rather than our primary focus being how to work through our relationship with our mother, brother or spouse, or how to stop getting angry when someone says something ugly, the focus is on recognition of identity. Who, or what am I? Before awakening identity is a concept of a separat self. It is a "me" constructed of memories, beliefs and assuptions. A me is a thought structure.

In returning to the more fundamental state of clear awareness, one looks at the thought structure that supports ones "conceptual identity" and seeks what is actually true about it. As the structure is revealed to be concept oriented, and identification with specific thoughs about self are dropped, a clearer awareness dawns, and a shift in perception occurs away from identity as a separate person. In short, awakening occurs. Life becomes a present moment experience because there is no history to live through. Many of the problems that we were previously working on become non-issues.

The same concerns from the standpoint of an egoic me, look quite different from the perspective of awakened being. The conditions may remain but the nature of the problem has shifted. In many cases what was previously a major concern just drops away through lack of relevance. Learning continues, but it happens through ever clearer perception; not so much through relationship technics and working through details of how to interact with other forms.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon May 19, 2008 4:13 pm

The following is speculation:

erict's question is the right one:
How can I tell which lessons I am to learn?
Although I think we get some pointers as we bounce along through life, the final authority: "Eric's Personal Book of Detailed Karma and Lessons from All Past Lives Including This One" is nowhere to be found.

Let's say on Day 1 you are unconscious. Then on Day 2 you are fully self-realized (like Eckhart.) Then on Day 3 you die. Will you be "coming back" with a new set of lessons or duties?

Who knows, and, if truly enlightened, you won't care, because it won't matter. In addition to WW's comments, that is another value of enlightenment.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce