Being the witness/observer -- easier at times than others?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Tussiemussies

Being the witness/observer -- easier at times than others?

Post by Tussiemussies » Tue May 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm new here but wondering, why does it seem easier at times than others to not identify with the thoughts and be the obsesrver?

Are there certain inner conditions that make nuture feeling your are the presence and not the thoughts?

I notice my mind will suggest thoughts and images, hammering at me in order to try to "pull me in", any suggestions?

Thanks!!! : ) Chris

Sighclone

Re: Being the witness/observer -- easier at times than others?

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 20, 2008 4:33 pm

All of the 'portals' in the Tolle CD 'Gateways to Now', and other meditation techniques help to end the tyranny of the mind's thought-stream. Learn to practice them, and the mind will lose its power over your consciousness.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Tussiemussies

Post by Tussiemussies » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks sighclone for the advice, as I wasn't aware of this CD...will pick it up as soon as able... : )))

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Understand, that the observer is also a mind made consept and see how much you are identifying with it vs. being pure awareness.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed May 21, 2008 12:40 am

D'ray - For the sake of argument, I'm going to disagree slightly: My experience of "space", of a "shifted awareness" is best expressed as "watcher" or "observer". During the act of speaking/witnessing from Presence, it is a feeling, not a word, and 'observer' comes closest. I think this distinction, at least for me, is meaningful because my reference frame for 60 years was ego...feeling my ego's energy or painbody.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

D'ray

Post by D'ray » Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 am

Yes, it's true that the observer gets close to the no-state-state.

Prior to the Observer and no-state-state, it requires an I AM. I am the observer and there must be the observed. Buddha said that no being has ever entered nirvana. It's because there can't be an "I" left to know it.
The various opposites in dualism as in noumenon and phenomena, the Absolute and the relative and the presence and absence are represented in the mind (consciousness). These are the basis of all manifestation, the observer and the observed, the knower and the known. When one can perceive the basic identity of the opposites it could also mean liberation for the individual, as he now knows that ‘the seeker is the sought’. These opposites exist only in duality. With this knowledge the opposites would erase one another, i.e. duality is annihilated leaving the witness in unity.
Source: http://www.kktanhp.com/sri_nisargadatta_maharaj.htm

Anyways they are just words. Words are bound to linguistic system and are methafors representing nothing.
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed May 21, 2008 5:26 pm

D'ray -

Thanks for the link to Khoo's summary of Maharaj - way better than grinding through "I am That' to find a choice morsel!

Andy

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:28 pm

If you practice being the observer in the most chill situations, it'll be much easier to be the observer when the challenges come.