Why does the pain body want more pain?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
pgirl20

Why does the pain body want more pain?

Post by pgirl20 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:27 am

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Tolle's teachings, having read ANE and TPON within the past month. I am in a new relationship and have been dealing with my pain body rearing up in situations with my boyfriend. It's weird, how when I'm in the situation my whole mind gets taken up with feeding the pain body and it becomes a sort of pleasure to feed it. Maybe pleasure isn't exactly the right word, and I guess I'm not really understanding why it is that I feed my pain body in those moments. It obviously makes me feel bad because everything becomes negative and heavy, but why do I keep feeding it? I have been getting good at being present and observing what my mind is doing and can usually get myself out of the situation pretty quickly. I would really like to get rid of these moments altogether though. I do notice that in some of the situations my pain body is trying to get attention from him, but a lot of times the pain arises when I am alone and thinking about something in the past. Can anyone offer some more insights into why I need to keep feeding the pain?

Thanks!

Sighclone

Re: Why does the pain body want more pain?

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 27, 2008 5:12 am

Hi pgirl20, and welcome.

Double check page 65 of the paperback version of PON, starting: "When you create a problem, you create pain." That is an end-around solution. Doesn't answer the deep psychological questions about why a particular painbody needs a particular kind of food on a particular schedule. Just cuts off all food forever. No etiology, no shrink couches, just no pain. But way radical.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Ives

Post by Ives » Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm

pgirl20 wrote: Can anyone offer some more insights into why I need to keep feeding the pain?
Good question.

Actually you don’t need to keep feeding the pain.
It is in a state of unconsciousness that the pain body goes on replenishing itself.

As to why it does this, I think we can say that all living entities want to continue to exist. Have you ever tried to kill a rat, for example. I have; it’s not easy!

The frozen energy that is the pain ultimately would like to be dissolved.
But without the light of consciousness dissolving it, it believes that it is important to go on existing.

I once made the analogy of the pain body being like a mad dog in a cage. It actually wants to get out, but if the cage door is never opened, it doesn’t just roll over and die.
It barks wildly for food... just so as to go on living.
That's what your pain body is doing.

But not for long more.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

pgirl20 wrote:Hi all. I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Tolle's teachings, having read ANE and TPON within the past month.
Hi pgirl20, welcome to our forum.

If you did indeed read both ANE and PON within a single month I would suggest you may want to read them again, or something else of similar quality. Generally, such profound information should be taken in sips rather that than gulps. Of course it could be different with you, but for most it's wiser to read enough to gain an "aha moment" and sit with it awhile. Give it a chance to do its transformative work. Too much too fast brings the mind into play to try an make sense out of it, which only results in a new concept of being. Then you end up with a thousand questions that are better answered from within clear awareness.

These books, and others like them, are filled with pointers to self realization. They are not so much intended for analytical consideration, but for perceptual experience beyond the mind's capacity. Patience is a quality the bears the sweetest fruit.
It's weird, how when I'm in the situation my whole mind gets taken up with feeding the pain body and it becomes a sort of pleasure to feed it.
It''s not so strange, intensity of any kind can make us feel more alive. And when we are living life through ego, as a separate person, attachment to pain supports the perception that what we believe about our self-identity is true. Ego needs to be fed in order to maintain it's illusion of existance. Reduce thinking about me-self and the ego's power to generate suffering loses it's potency.

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 am

The one-word answer: inertia. Another one-word answer: habit. Third one-word answer: pattern.

One of the laws of motion in physics says something to the effect that a body at rest won't move easily and a body in motion won't come to rest easily. The mind which is moving about in the realm of illusion won't suddenly stop, just as the mind which is sunk in peace won't suddenly jump into non-peace.

Those addicted to sugar want more sugar, regardless of the effect it is having on their body. Junk food addicts crave more junk food. Pain body is simply an addiction that we have. A symptom of unconsciousness, or inability to remain in the NOW.

The best way that I know to counter the pain body is to observe it, be aware of it, and spend more clock time in a place of peace/nowness. The more I meditate (something Andy recently called "portal exercise") the less the pain body takes over my life. It is that simple. Meditation is being okay with what is arising and simply sticking to peace/observation/neutrality.

Very few people know the extent to which they are unconscious and even fewer are engaged in actively letting go of such unconsciousness. It is situations like the one you describe in your life which allow most of us to come face to face with the ugliness lodged in the depths of our being. The act of meditation is a warrior like attitude where we bring to light, to surface, what is hidden deep beneath the surface, so that we are not shocked by it or overwhelmed by it at "inopportune" times.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 am

Welcome back, hiker! Good stuff as always!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

pgirl20

Post by pgirl20 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:25 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their responses. I've been watching Tolle on Oprah's webcast lately and things are becoming clearer. Awareness has already become helpful in my daily life, and now I'm hoping I'll be ready for that pain body that invariably shows up every month!

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:59 pm

pgirl20 wrote:It's weird, how when I'm in the situation my whole mind gets taken up with feeding the pain body and it becomes a sort of pleasure to feed it. Maybe pleasure isn't exactly the right word, and I guess I'm not really understanding why it is that I feed my pain body in those moments.
I've observed something similar in myself. Some kind of twisted satisfaction in provoking and starting a fight. With me as well, the tendency always seems to be trying to understand the problem and what causes it and so on, but more and more I see that I really cannot get very far by trying to resolve these kind of things on the level of the mind.

I like the metaphor Jed McKenna uses, instead of wasting all this time trying to untangle our Gordian knots, just slice right through them.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Narz

Post by Narz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 am

Humans thrive on challenge. When you're not challenged enough you will create little bullshit problems for yourself. Life isn't about solving your problems it's about finding problems worthy of your attention & effort. The pain, in my opinion, comes not from the fact that you find problems but the fact that you are focusing on the wrong ones. When I get pissed about something it's generally at myself that I've ever getting bothered about such a thing in the first place & not in the right place (internally and/or externally) to be dealing with "higher" concerns.
“Seek simplicity but distrust it”

InfinityCurve - my YouTube Channel :)

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:13 pm

The pain body wants more pain because the ego feels more real, more defined, more separate and more special when there is pain. Pain is the one time when we feel our sense of self in such sharp focus. The ego is terrified of you knowing that you are not the ego. It seeks pain to keep that sense of me here and a world that does not understand or accommodate me there. Separation is the ego's aim. Basically the ego doesn't give a damn if you are happy or sad. All it wants is intensity. Falling in love is brilliant for the ego because, at last, we find someone else who believes in 'us' (as ego) almost as much as we do!

So thats my take on the question. Oh! Sorry! I nearly forgot to say hi! I dont know if you have posted here before (I do disappear from time to time), but if you are new - the heck with it, even if you are not new - here, welcome to the forum, and I hope that your stay here will be of real benefit to yourself and others! Welcome! LF
Many a mickle muches a markle.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:07 pm

Yes Larry :)
Ego is like a revolving door that disrupts the Journey....
with an entrance and no exit...
put on the Path by someone else....
something that we can become aware of and decide to dismantle ...
piece by piece - every bolt and screw...
until it becomes only a pile of junk..
next to the Path...
observed...
and yet out of the Way.
Peace

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Nicely put, Hermit.

I have been considering of late what glues the ego with consciousness so that an undoing becomes necessary...but thats for another thread. But the observed junk...ah yes!
Many a mickle muches a markle.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:54 pm

I sense Ego is a mind constructed mutation of the Survival Instinct that came about with the advent of language.
Maybe in the next mind mutation (evolution of consciousness) Ego will go the way of tails in humans?
Maybe we are experiencing this evolution now?
Peace

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 pm

HermitLoon wrote: Ego will go the way of tails in humans?
I always thought tails should re-evolve. A tail may be the missing link to my happiness!
Be present, be pleasant.