Lifes dramas, TV, escapes

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
aceking

Lifes dramas, TV, escapes

Post by aceking » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi guys,
First post here, I'm part the way through TPON and have listened to one of Oprahs webcasts. Have also seen a few Ecky Youtube vids, so thats where I'm at.

I'm liking what I'm reading and since applying it I feel much more peaceful than I previously have. I went out tonight half expecting to be able to get over some of my social fears and everything to be magically fixed but of course that didn't quite happen hehe. Was a good night though. Anyway...

Am I wrong in assuming that people who are into Eckys teachings generally have less drama in their lives? I mean, when I was talking to friends today, we discussed a flaw in someone "ie we are better, go ego yay!" And I noticed the whole ego thing come up. Thing is, when I started thinking about this, and other "dramas" in life and on TV, in other peoples lives etc, I wonder if I stopped talking about this stuff or restrained myself from other dramas/TV, if life would become just a bit boring? I play online poker partly for a living, and that of course is full of dramas, money being won or lost, people getting lucky or unlucky, rivalries and friendships etc... some of this I enjoy, some I dont. Then I'll watch say, Californication for example and honestly am envious of the "interesting, drama filled" life that the main character has, all the women he meets, the shenanigans he gets himself into... If he was an Ecky fan, this series would suck haha. So, I'd like your opinion on whether its possible to live an exciting, drama filled, interesting life whilst also aiming for peace, contemplation/meditation. I hope that makes sense.

I'm not sure if this question is answered in the first book, it possibly is, because TV is such a big thing these days, but... Apart from staying away from obvious tripe like Big Brother, and anything that might feed my pain body, is there anything wrong with watching an hour or two of TV a day? Its being entirely unpresent isn't it? I guess I'm in the moment, transfixed on the screen, but its not me or my life. Its probably a bit like listening to music to shut off your chattering mind. I'm not sure what to think, because on the one hand I enjoy it so much and it can really stimulate my feelings and thoughts, but on the other hand I sometimes feel like Im just wasting time.

Thanks for any insights to my questions!
Regards,
Ace

poker

Onceler

Re: Lifes dramas, TV, escapes

Post by Onceler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:40 pm

I think that you have to find out for yourself, if presence and awareness are for you now. The only way to do this, in my experience, is to go into the now deeply. Holding back and constantly comparing is drama, not awareness. Being aware that you are dramatic and comparing is awareness. Is that boring for you?

I can't speak to your path, as it is none of my business, but for huge swaths of my life I prefered drama. Then I got tired of it and now find awareness much more intriguing and subtle.

I still have plenty of drama and can turn on that channel anytime I want to.
Be present, be pleasant.

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 pm

In my life drama has pretty much dried up. That's not to say there aren't challenges now, but those challenges don't make me feel like they used to. As for TV, I enjoy it, and actually have learned to use it as a teaching device for me. For example: Everybody Loves Raymond is an excellent show in that the ego displays are quite apparent, and hence, make it easy to spot some of those same behaviors in myself. Even while watching my beloved Packers play on TV I am not drawn out of presence. Do I want them to win? Of course. Does it "upset" me when they don't? Only momentarily. But now when they lose my whole week isn't a bummer like it was before. I can even appreciate watching an opponent of theirs making a great play. In other words, it's becoming enjoyable all the time, win or lose. That same enjoyment is found in everyday events now, unlike before.

And by the way, welcome to the board.
kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm

aceking - welcome.

Page 230 in A New Earth starts a section on television. Eckhart is pretty down on it...
Quoting from page 180 of PON: "When you are fully conscious, drama does not come into your life anymore."

My guess is that your interest in both of those egoic/painbody activities will naturally fall away if you stay present.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey aceking,

I play online poker for a living-and if anything can test your presence, it's poker. During bad downswings, as I'm sure you know, you find out a lot about yourself. It can be a blow to ego to drop down in limits, even when it's the logical thing to do.
So, I'd like your opinion on whether its possible to live an exciting, drama filled, interesting life whilst also aiming for peace, contemplation/meditation. I hope that makes sense.

"So we were given a taste of various drug addictions: approval, attention, success, making it to the top, prestige, getting your name in the paper, power, being the boss. We were given a taste of things like being captain of the team, leading the band, etc. Having a taste for these drugs, we became addicted and began to dread losing them. Recall the lack of control you felt, the terror at the prospect of failure or making mistakes, at the prospect of criticism by others." (De Mello Awareness p. 163)

If the "drugs" listed above still dictate your actions/reactions, then you are not yet living free, and drama will still be in your life. If you are still identified with drama, then your life will certainly still contain drama. Otherwise you will feel you are losing something that you are. Once you realize that you are not drama, that you are not experience, and become aware of your true nature, any craving for drama will eventually diminish. Thus, only your ego actually cares whether drama still exists.

Jason

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 pm

I often notice a shift in my consciousness when I watch tv. I don't watch that much and it is noticable. My pain body is more easily triggered, or at minimum I get this relaxed sort of unease. Sometimes it seems to be just what i need, to check out for 30 minutes. But if i stay with it too long I have to be alert to painbody changes, especially with certain shows.
Be present, be pleasant.

anuiyer7

Post by anuiyer7 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I am a newbie at this. I read the Power of Now and A New Earth also, and I and trying to practice the meditation. Also to stay till ad be in the NOW.. But when I watch TV and try to meditate after, I keep seeing images inmy mind about the programs I watch. I am wondering if i should avoid tv... Like last night, I tried to meditate and then I kept seeing the face of this person I saw in a youtube video.. I felt like it took a long time for that to go and me to stop my mind. So my opinion: tv is not good atleast in the beginning stages of meditation.

Take care
A Iyer

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 pm

I remember writing a paper in college about whether or not TV was relaxing, and the conclusion I came to was that instead of living your own obsessive thoughts and images, you're just experiencing someone else's obsessive thoughts and images - not so relaxing. My husband likes to watch all sorts of TV drama violence, but I chose not to. So, when you watch TV in a state of awareness, it's similar to listening/watching other humans and you can decide, just as with your own thoughts, whether to identify with what's happening on the screen (or in your mind), or you can simply witness it.
There's drama all around, even in nature, if we chose to see it that way. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave