Smoking

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
tikey

Smoking

Post by tikey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:16 pm

I think this topic should be in 'bad habits' section.

Is there any way, to quit smoking 'spiritually'?
Im just a cloudless sky :)

Webwanderer

Re: Smoking

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 pm

Sure, see it for what it is, a physical addition that persists because it continues to be fed. Then choose diffenent path, one in which you are willing to suffer the experience of withdrawel.

There are many methods to stop smoking and most of them will work if you apply one primary ingrediant - commitment. Find a program or plan that appeals to you, make the conscious choice to apply it, and commit to it. If you make the choice on a deep enough level that it's over - it's over. If you are living in hopes of success, you are likeyl sowing the seeds of your own failure. Do not hope... choose!

(Has your mind flashed the word "can't" yet? If it can make you believe "can't", it wins.)

Good luck :lol:
WW

tikey

Post by tikey » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:06 pm

'It' wins all the time :P

I still have problem with making 'conscious choice.

I still don't feel ready for it, but I know its just a mind-game of seeing it's salvation in FUTURE.

How can I stop it?

Ive been trying many times to quit and always my mind crept in and says: "all right, enough of this nonse, smoke at last, will ya?"
And I had always to give up :/

Emm... I've read 1 book about quitting smoking. Its an "easyway" of quiting, but its based on a "deep commitment" and lately I feel
I am just not able to do a "deep commitments'.

I just got stuck on the level :"I smoke, but I don't want to" and i watch that. There are moments when I smoke more or less, but the problem
is the same: I smoke, aint I???

So... without a DEEP COMMITMENT I will have to suffer dreadfull mind chatter about "1 more cigarette wont kill u, smoke it please, just 1"
And I will not make a deep commitment until.... until I suffer enough? Until all my teeth goes ugly-yellow? until I cant catch a breath on the way
from bathroom to bed??? geez that scares me.

How can I stop this cruel & insane activity???

plzz help :]

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Tikey, I feel your pain :lol:

Okay, here's how I did it. I made a bet with one of my close friends that I could quit smoking. There was significant money involved with me, but it could be something else of import. Just make sure the loss would be painful. The truth is, we all hate to lose. This gave me strong emotional motivation to combat the urges. Next I went out and bought a carton of cigarettes, and I made a commitment that this would be the last cigarettes I would ever smoke. It did not matter if I smoked them all in a single day, or if it took me 10 years, this was it! The choice was mine.

Every day I would reconfirm my commitment to these being the last cigs in the world for me. As a result I began to conserve. Rather than smoke a whole cigarette, I would take 2 or 3 puffs and put it out. I would put the rest back in the pack for later. I would smoke them down to the filter before pitching the butt. This way I could go all day on 2 cigarettes. Later 1 1/2, then 1 all day. While doing this extension of supplies exercise, I would also schedule exactly when I would next smoke my 2 or 3 puffs. I would set my scheduled cig out as far as I could, but a goal I knew I could reach - 2, 3, 4 hours. When the time came, I lit up and had my 2 or 3 puffs and then placed the remainder back in the pack for next time. This reconditioned my body for the amount of nicotine it needed without the herculean effort of cold-turkey. Once adjusted the waits between smokes became easier.

As time went on I would push the scheduled time out, or wait another hour, or just skip a whole session. Every time I smoked I recommited to the process. If for some reason I succumbed to a non-scheduled puff or two, I did not consider it a failure of the whole process, but a minor glitch and got right back on schedule. The point was to make that carton last as long as humanly possible. Stretch them out, make them last. In a few days I was able to begin skipping a session or take only a single deep puff. Conserve, conserve conserve.

I stretched that carton out for two months. At the end I was able to go all day without a smoke. Still I hung on to what I had, knowing I had them available but unwilling to waste "valuable" supplies (or lose my bet). Finally I could go any day, all day without smoking. I knew I had it beat.

I gave away my last 5 packs! I was free :D

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Wow WW! Great approach. I'll have to tell my brother about it. He's been trying to quit for many years - nothing has worked. Smoking is something I never did, thankfully.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:27 pm

That was 38 years ago. I never went back to smoking.

The bet is important, the schedule is important, the conservation is important, and the commitment is important. Together they are an effective plan.

If the desire to quit is genuine, smoking adiction can be beaten.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:26 am

Tikey -

You have enough other problems going on. Deal with the big ones, like emancipating yourself. And smoke like crazy until the important issues are worked through. You mentioned something about your mother. Needless to say, we cannot comment on that beyond what we know from you. But problems at your age, at that level, should be addressed first. Smoking does not represent the root of your anguish. In fact, worrying about smoking is a distraction from larger issues. Continue to meditate and read. Get a job and plan to become independent. Smoking will put a little pressure on your budget, by the way. Don't fight egoic destractions. Eckhart said there is no way he could have become enlightened before he was 30.

WW --

Very very cool story. My situation is that I smoked for one year (my 22nd.) Since then I have smoked about one cigarette a month. I can go months and not even think about them, then smoke ten in a day. Weird, but I'm not hooked at all. I smoke only additive-free tobacco, roll my own and mix in some pipe tobacco also...very light and fresh. But I'm a weird guy. :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

tikey

Post by tikey » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much comforted!
What Sighclone said is very important - to deal with the most important things first and treat smoking as a last thing, which will be easier
to deal with after all the basic things are dealt with. I understand this plan greatly and apreciate it.

Thanks WW FOR GREAT STORY :)

Mu aunt quit smoking cause she decided she needs money for some beautifull sweater or something, years ago, and so she was putting
all th money she normaly spent on smoking for that sweater . It worked! Thats because she had motivation!
It's very important to have motivation. Without it any goal isnt achieveble - right guys?

Thanks for all the replies!

Your Great :P

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 am

I tried quitting also many times, all it takes is one time to say: "What is this for?" Then I realized I was using as a crutch to calm my nerves and emotions. Well, PON helped me to just experience it and not use nicotine to mask it.

Take deep breaths, be in the now. Go on long walks, be the space around the feeling of craving....it can just be there....watch it...awww...that's nice. You don't ever have to act on it.
You have that choice when you're in the now. I went cold turkey....it was really hard at first, but hey...it's not so much about smoking, it's more about what you identify smoking with. The psychological addiction is 1000 greater than that of the physical addiction. Once you found the chain that links in your head....cut that...and the physical symptoms are easy to deal with. Meditations and being presence really helps.

Best of luck.
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:37 pm

edit
Last edited by peleke4 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi Tikey and all - I certainly can relate, as I smoked for nearly 20 years and then didn't smoke for 10 years, smoked for 1, didn't smoke again for 10, and have now smoked off and on for the past three. When I stop, it's cold turkey and easy because I have made the true commitment. - It's the getting to that point that is the struggle Tikey talks about. So, as others have said -- once you REALLY decide you're done, you just stop. Addiction is a crazy set of mind stuff. The most recent allowing of smoking for myself actually used PON and David Hawkins' "Power vs Force" for encouragement and rationalization! :roll: With my daughter in Iraq and the world so insane, my rationalization was, "What the heck? Nothing really matters." And it really doesn't. We know that we're in this manifested state for a brief time. Our society and the medical industry wants us to buy into the idea that we can stay alive for longer and that is somehow a great and noble thing. I disagree.

The most interest thing about it is: If indeed smoking is a killer (which, BTW Dr. Hawkins claims that that's only true since 1960s farming practices), then why would our mind want to kill the very body that sustains it? Hmmmm

So, don't beat yourself up about it.
Know that we humans created habits mainly to save time, and just like our thinking minds evolved to chattering monkey minds, so too did our ability to create habits evolve to run amok. We're only human after all. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:14 pm

We're only human after all.
That thought sounds like a good candidate for Katie's "The Work" :)
Last edited by HermitLoon on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace

tikey

Post by tikey » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:39 pm

ok ok many ideas and only one solution: QUIT!!!!

tikey

Post by tikey » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm

And the question "How?" asks our MIND AND MAKES IT INTO A PROBLEM!\
WE MUST NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP, because it's a DEAD END and PONDERING ABOUT THAT just puts us FURTHER FROM QUITTING![further from our goal!]

Lets just not ponder about this, let's just QUIT! [that how the presence works :P]

cheers

Tikey

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 pm

HL -

Very funny comment re "we're only human." Of course, then we have to define human...but very funny nonetheless!!!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce