How do I replace the old though processes?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
letitgo

How do I replace the old though processes?

Post by letitgo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:47 pm

Hello to everyone! Once again, I find myself back to ask for some help! Thanks to everyone for the time and availability to get advice and information.

It seems that as I've become better at dropping my thoughts, I've become worse at keeping up the facade which allowed me to function. By function I mean the ability to work within and create the illusion which managed my human existence very well. Of course, my spiritual experience wasn't what or where I wanted it to be, but I had many tools which got me by very nicely. Now they are gone.

This seems to be a reoccurring subject on this forum. Not that the forum is at fault, but I think this is the brick wall most of us hit at some time or another once we actually begin to stop or slow the mind down enough to view a giant space where there used to be constant mental activity. And at the risk of trodding all over an area which may be turning into a muddy ditch, I would like to ask for some good sound advice on some particular areas. Since many of you have heard all this before, you may be able to go on auto pilot with your responses, but if we could look at these issues from a practical perspective and not assume that I can simply "stop thinking", I believe there could be some very interesting, solid, and obvious steps which really would help people like myself to know what I'm feeling isn't unique. Even more importantly to know that there are definite steps which can be taken. Steps which are inevitable and necessary. This, I believe, is what Byron Katie is doing. And I think it can and should be expanded on.

1) What is a good modality for rebuilding a habit system which will replace the old mental habits that are gone or leaving? I really don't think this should be a meditation. It seems like it should be some type of new process or possibly even a mantra which will allow you to rebuild a new higher though system. Since this new habit system is to replace the old, I think it should almost be like Alcoholics Anonymous, or Weight Watchers, etc.

2) How do you draw to you and keep, the higher lighter thoughts? I understand that you shouldn't judge a thought, but what is a good way to bring creativity and enthusiasm into your awareness since you now have the space to do so? I think this could very possibly be a meditation.

I could probably go on, but these two questions are a good start. I just feel the space, and it's been setting there staring back at me for a while now, and I think, actually I know, that it's up to me to fill the gap with what I desire, and I believe this is an opportunity to lay out some very sound steps for me and possibly many others to follow.

Where else on earth are there this many people with this kind of knowledge and abilities to answer these questions? If we can't come up with some good obvious helpful long-standing procedures for this part of the process, then who can?

Thanks in advance for your input. Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

dagobert

Re: How do I replace the old though processes?

Post by dagobert » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello letitgo,
don't remember seing you there so I'm glad to meet you.

I believe you lost it somewhere.
Maybe this is just the way I understand you, but whatever - I explain.

It seem you're in a state where you see your thoughts, you see the world more as it is than before and all, this is good and shows you're moving forward. However you seem to use this knowledge to try to re-educate the mental and reboot all your old patterns to start again on fresh basics, and it looks like you think this is the great step forward humanity is needing.

From my experience, seing the mental and the reality it creates for what they are is the last step before the great question : who am I ?
But this is just a step that help you desidentify more and more, until you break and awake spontaneously.

I believe you don't think this is a step, but a destination, and that you are arrived.

I'll answer the questions anyway :
1) What is a good modality for rebuilding a habit system which will replace the old mental habits that are gone or leaving? I really don't think this should be a meditation. It seems like it should be some type of new process or possibly even a mantra which will allow you to rebuild a new higher though system. Since this new habit system is to replace the old, I think it should almost be like Alcoholics Anonymous, or Weight Watchers, etc.
As you see with lucidity your life and your mental, do you really think that rebuilding the mental to be a stronger one will help awakaning at all ? The very structure of the mental make it dysfunctionnal, and re-educating it serves no real purpose, just a more balanced outer life (but I admit the world would be a better place if everyone did this).
I don't get why you look for an answer in the mental as you see it for what it is.
2) How do you draw to you and keep, the higher lighter thoughts? I understand that you shouldn't judge a thought, but what is a good way to bring creativity and enthusiasm into your awareness since you now have the space to do so? I think this could very possibly be a meditation.
You don't bring creativity into awareness, awareness allows creativity and enthusiasm (and joy and sad) to arise, and what you can do is accept it.

Why would you manipulate your experience ?

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:50 pm

OK dagobert. Thanks for your response but it's kind of what I expected. Why worry about changing what is already perfect? Here's my reason why...

I believe I am on this earthly plane to integrate my body-mind-spirit. For me, this follows along very well with the many teachings of enlightenment and awakening. However, once I realized who and what I was, I began the long arduous task of shuffling, extracting, and yes replacing, thought processes and belief systems with new, higher concepts. This is a continual process with me, and it is now. (Some of us don't wake up in a day).

This is why I ask for good solid steps to take throughout this process. This is why I'm looking for substantive ideas. I will have as much time as I need to float in bliss after I take my last breath. But until then, I want some tools that actually allow me to function within my life's experiences. It's not that this life can't be blissful, I don't want to come close to portraying that philosophy. But while I'm learning and growing, better tools can help to make my lessons clearer. Isn't this what Byron Katie is doing with her questions? Helping people to take the approach of integrating our thoughts? She is doing this in a way of acceptance of what is, but isn't that a tool to help your mind to understand it's role in this life?

For example! Last night I realized while discussing the need for something to fill the gaps in our awareness that has been made vacant by the release of unwanted thoughts and beliefs and feelings, I realized that feelings were a very good filler. This really helped me to understand that any time I dropped some unwanted thought, I could replace it with a feeling. An inspirational or creative or motivational feeling. Anything that resonates with a higher vibration. And since it's a good feeling, it's deeper and stronger, yet lighter and higher. (See, that's the kind of advice I'm looking for!)
The very structure of the mental make it dysfunctionnal, and re-educating it serves no real purpose, just a more balanced outer life (but I admit the world would be a better place if everyone did this).
I don't get why you look for an answer in the mental as you see it for what it is.
Exactly!

Thanks, Norm

dagobert

Post by dagobert » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Hey, we have a great discussion starting here.

So you say you saw what it was to be awaken, and still you maintain that it would be better to have a more balanced mind (which, you agreed, could never be perfect and so is subject to issues).

As you seem to get byron katie's message, I think I understand what you are feeling : you know truth, now you wonder how to use it to become more often happy.

So I really get what you (and a lot of other people apparently) want to do : using this whole mind control thing to be happier.
It will work, you just have to see what happens when you observe yourself, you can live fully happy moments and kill sadness in the egg.

However I won't follow you there (having read byron katie's books) , because what I'm looking for is truth, not a better "life in the world" experience.
This has been greatly reinforced when I experienced truth a couple of days ago.

I don't think I could give you genuine advices as I don't have the same beliefs and views of my experience, but whatever I hope you find what you look for.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi Norm...welcome back!
What is a good modality for rebuilding a habit system which will replace the old mental habits that are gone or leaving?
Old mental habits now become a choice, not a mandatory ritual. Not all habits become anathema on awakening. You have immensely more freedom now that guilt, shame and blame are not part of your energy. Decide which of the old habits and drives still serve a useful purpose in form for you and your family. Do you still want/need to work? Might your work naturally evolve into something else?

Norm - you have been given your own key, and it opens many more doors than the old one did. Also, if you are in a transition period, accept that, too. I do like your concept of an AA for egoic living, etc...I spent some time thinking about an "Institute of Being" and actually captured the domain names for that. But then I went back to being a "frequency holder" and my little profession of commercial real estate appraisal...oh yes, and golf... :)

What do you want to fill those spaces? Feelings? Fine. Hobbies? Fine. Sleep? Fine. Meditation? Fine. Why not turn to Stephen Covey for how to use time. Now as to "higher lighter thoughts" - are these something you can write down or are they pre-verbalized sensations?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks Dagobert and Andy!
What do you want to fill those spaces? Feelings? Fine. Hobbies? Fine. Sleep? Fine. Meditation? Fine. Why not turn to Stephen Covey for how to use time. Now as to "higher lighter thoughts" - are these something you can write down or are they pre-verbalized sensations?
First of all, the Steven Covey approach was a very strong contributor to my limited awakening. I bet that's shocking to hear! But after about a year of being entrenched in my "principles", I reached a crescendo of mind numbing misery that forced me to seek peace in other ways. So while this may be an option for someone looking to find out what their principles are, it reinforced my thoughts and belief systems to such a polarization that I had no where to go and my mind seemed to turn inward on itself. (Which worked out, but I don't think that was the intention of the seven habits).

With regard to what I'm doing at present, I'll kind of relate the procedure and feelings which I've morphed into, and maybe as I'm writing I'll find more relevance and answers.

As I come across the space and opportunity to imagine what I want, I focus on a particular item which I've previously categorized as desirable. I do this with just as much intensity as the present situation will allow. Since I never know when the gap will occur, I never know how much time or concentration I'll be able to devote to this function. But it seems that this is allowing me a modality which uses my imagination and intent in the present moment, and it feels as if I am actually creating or drawing to me, what I desire. I always gauge how much intent I'm putting on the situation by how much vibration and energy I can feel during the process.

When I really started dropping my thoughts in earnest, more and more space was available and I found myself waiting and waiting for what was next. For the few of you who may remember, I have had non-stop energy work being done on me every night and every day for about a year now and it took me a while to realize that my guides and angels were now waiting on me to draw to me what I want.

That's the best I can describe it for now! Every day is another incredible experience. Thanks again, Norm