How not to think about something

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
bright light

How not to think about something

Post by bright light » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 pm

I've done this before, now I'm not sure how I did it.

In the midst of an ongoing situation that I deeply care about in my life a very bitter woman have caused me sooooooo much turmoil and pain. (definitely more than anyone else in this life time!) The situation is what I'm involved with daily. For a while I was able to overcome constantly focusing on her bitterness, nasty behaviors, and all the ongoing troubles that she has caused me. (not sure how I did it though)

All of a sudden about 2 days ago, I came across a picture of her online while visiting the organization activity album and now once again her image doesn't leave me a lone. I tried to be with the emotion coming out of viewing that image for a while and decharge them quite a bit, but for some reason the actual image (not without so much emotion though) is stuck in my head. I want it to evaporate. Any advice?

I would hugely appreciate it.
Thnx

Soul Seeker

Re: How not to think about something

Post by Soul Seeker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 am

I have been away for 4 weeks - UK - and I went to Watkins bookstore in Cecil Close - wonderful book store and among the books I bought there was Byron Katie's A Thousnad Names for Joy. In it she speak about The Work - which is four questions that helps with setting you free. You can see how you do this on www.thework.com. I have tried it and it is great stuff - negitive thoughts and feelings just melt away

Adahy

Post by Adahy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 pm

(~.~)
Last edited by Adahy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

domokato

Post by domokato » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:57 pm

Your wanting it to evaporate is an egoic want. Thinking about how much you want it to disappear only makes it worse. Just accept that the image is in your mind and don't judge it as good or bad. And it will probably disappear :)
~housecat