Eckhart and the afterlife

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
mmy

Eckhart and the afterlife

Post by mmy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:43 am

I am wondering if Eckhart has discussed reference to the afterlife? Reincarnation? If so, does anyone know what he says? I have been thinking about that the last few days and today I came across the following in A New Earth
When you think, feel, perceive, and experience, consciousness is born into form. It is reincarnating - into a thought, a feeling, a sense perception, an experience. The cycle of rebirths that Buddhists hope to get out of eventually is happening continuously, and it is only at this moment - through the power of Now - that you can get out of it.
Does this as well relate to when we die and have no physical form?

Appreciate any comments,
m

happns

Re: Eckhart and the afterlife

Post by happns » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 am

Hi mmy... here's a link to a short (7.27 minutes) Eckhart Teachings video on you tube pulled from Touching the Eternal DVD on "Death"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOgR61zAlo

I'm sorry it doesn't touch on afterlife or reincarnation, but only in the physical form of death, which I relate to as 'die to each moment' (enlightenment) - maybe enlightenment is afterlife or reincarnation... that is the evolvement of the human species as Eckhart speaks of... so our 'lessons' (suffering) are no longer necessary... now you have me thinking :D
Here is a new spiritual practice for you... don't take your thoughts too seriously - Eckhart from Stillness Speaks

mmy

Post by mmy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:12 am

Thanks for the link happns - I really enjoy those Eckhart clips. That one reminded me also of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross who pretty much says the same things about the transformation in the dying. It's so beautiful.

Good comments also - makes some thoughts for me around enlightment as well. I wonder if we continue to evolve after we've shed our physical form. I thought I would always be learning and growing, in life and in death, but now I question this in regards to death. So are the life lessons no longer necessary? I just need to sit with that question for awile.....

happns

Post by happns » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 am

mmy wrote:I thought I would always be learning and growing, in life and in death, but now I question this in regards to death. So are the life lessons no longer necessary?
This quote from Eckhart from his book Stillness Speaks may help "Reincarnation doesn't help you if in your next reincarnation you still don't know who you are"

:D
Here is a new spiritual practice for you... don't take your thoughts too seriously - Eckhart from Stillness Speaks

mmy

Post by mmy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 am

I was watching some ET clips and I came across this one - Oprah asked a similar question to mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCNGxto-8c

Adahy

Post by Adahy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:00 am

(~.~)
Last edited by Adahy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:15 am

I've enjoyed reading Nanci Danison on this - she had a near-death-experience and "came back" with strong memories - very nondualist, by the way. Her book is "Backwards."

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

bjornclausen

Post by bjornclausen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi mmy!
In an interwiev titled "Even the Sun will die" Eckhart speaks about life after death, a subject he seems to avoid.... What he says there is basically that he thinks it's unlikely that the "energy form" of a human being dissolves instantaneously. It' might take some time. He doesn't believe though that this energyform travels into a new body (as far as I can remember).
Personally I am unable to find this subject interesting or important. If you find it interesting I am curious ... why? That is a much more interesting question for me. Why do we want to know what happens when this physical form disappears?
Are we not all forms?
Try to answer that question - not in the dreamstate, but when you are awake from the dream. We all have those moments of great clarity. Don't we?

Björn
http://bjornclausen.blogspot.com

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:22 pm

bjorn -

I've had a past life regression hypnosis session. It was tape recorded and some interesting memories emerged. In Stillness Speaks, Eckhart says essentially that reincarnation isn't important if in your next incarnation you still don't know who you are. But nonetheless, death is a pretty significant event for most people. I haven't feared it for years. But I'm still curious. However, the present moment will not change.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

mmy

Post by mmy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks Bjorn and Andy for your comments.
Andy, I have read a little about Nanci Danison and want to read that book. Thanks for that, the NDE stuff turned me right off after reading Embraced By The Light years ago but this one seems interesting to me. I had past conditioning somewhere of eternity being time continuing on and on and on and on with no end - that used to freak me right out. I had no idea at the time about the timeless dimension beyond form but thankfully Eckhart explained this in the webseries.
When you are aware of who you are and feel your own presence less questions arise in this area - that's what I am finding for myself anyway.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 am

mmy -

I am interested in your comments on "Backwards." I have read her second book, out for pre-publication only right now - a little more detail and deeper memories. But the viewpoint of someone who has been previously unimpressed with NDEs is helpful. Please let us know!!

Namaste, Andy

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Sighclone wrote:mmy -

I am interested in your comments on "Backwards." I have read her second book, out for pre-publication only right now - a little more detail and deeper memories. But the viewpoint of someone who has been previously unimpressed with NDEs is helpful. Please let us know!!

Namaste, Andy
I agree with Andy, mmy. I have read extensively on NDE's as well as OBE's and lucid dreams, and find them quite compelling. At first they were a curiousity to me, but the more I read and investigated the clearer it became that there is more to life and experience than just the physical world. Healthy scepticism is an asset, but taken to an extreme becomes a blinder. Somewhere we must find a balance that leads us to a clear understanding of the nature of being.

There's nothing like direct experience to gain clarity on a given phenomema. Even if one has no memory of such an experience, the reports of others can still be helpful. Do we not follow this same rule when exploring our own awakened being? We constantly seek out useful pointers until direct perception dawns. As always a healthy scepticism is wise.

But I have long since drank the tea of acceptance on the reality of these after physical life realms. So many have reported a common theme from their own experience that a sense of authenticity can be felt. One can sense a familiarty in the same way as Tolle's teaching (and others) rings true even in the grip of one's ego identity. But I am always open to the light of truth, as any perception I currently hold as truth can only be enhanced by open and honest discovery. So I envite your honest scepticism and encourage you to look for yourself, pray for guidance and clarity, and be open to what's true without regard to currently held beliefs.

Feel free to tell us what you discover. As always get a sense of any new information from a space of clear presence. That is the real you. Analysis is helpful but resting in silent awareness brings clearer understanding.

WW

melinyel

Post by melinyel » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:57 am

Hmmm, I think there is no "afterlife"...Life is always now.

mmy

Post by mmy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks WW and Andy, I will post my comments when I get and read Backwards. I am also interested in hearing what you have to say.

I have read other NDEs over the years and there is a common theme. I struggled at the time with Embraced by the Light because of her belief that we chose our parents before we are born. Not to get into me-and-my-story but I was healing from severe childhood parental abuse and I was a young adult at the time, not secure in myself. I had a strong reaction to that, probably triggered my pain-body but at that time I had no clue about any of that. As I have said I have read about other NDEs over the years but Backwards will be the first book since Embraced by the Light.
Webwanderer wrote:As always get a sense of any new information from a space of clear presence. That is the real you. Analysis is helpful but resting in silent awareness brings clearer understanding.
For sure, thanks

mmy

Post by mmy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 am

I am almost finished the book “Backwards” and it is an interesting read. It was nice to see that her picture wasn’t plastered over the front cover. I found her comments reflective and direct and I am glad to have this book and read her experience. I think her discussion about the changing epoch is very much in line with ANE and evolution of consciousness. Her comments on the life review resonated with my own thoughts. I found some of her comments showed her world views, some of which I found narrow-minded. An example is her discussion regarding knowing the Source’s love in reducing the fear of the unknown but makes an example as living each day as you did as a child at Christmas with wonderful surprise packages. Well, for the millions of us who, as children, never had those surprise packages or lived like that, this is a very narrow generalization, not appropriate for all. I don’t want this to be a “customer review” post so I will just leave that as it is.

I am a bit confused about how others see this book from a non-dual perspective. She talks a lot about our dual nature and her discussion of soul. I found in myself approaching all of this from a more mature open outlook and, in presence, I’ve been asking and answering things for myself lately and here’s some of it.

Danison and other NDErs comment about choosing our experiences before inhabiting human form. Is this a possibility? Am I ok with not knowing? (I’ve never had a NDE) Can I just let it all be?
yes, yes, and yes.

But does this really matter one way or another in the now? Does it change anything for me in the now? Does it matter in what I actually am?
no, no, and no.

I feel less and less energy in wanting to learn about and discuss my original post. Like Eckhart mentioned in one of the webcasts with Oprah - let’s just see what happens. Meanwhile, I just want to rest in awareness.