Eckhart and the afterlife

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Sighclone

Re: Eckhart and the afterlife

Post by Sighclone » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:27 am

mmy -

Thanks for your comments! Yup, Ms. Danison's cultural background emerges in her analogies and elsewhere. And she is not fully free of her identity as a strong female professional. But the other dimensions, the timeless array of experiences and beings were all fascinating. Will it move me away from the present moment in search of some higher "truth." Not likely :) . On the other hand, she discusses the power of beliefs, as do other NDEers. I think the principal value of her story is to dispel some more traditional beliefs in those who are on the fence. And the imperative to universal Love is very consistent with ET. Also, there is a deep ring of credibility about her...it lacks the kind of seminal presence we feel in Eckhart, but she is not claiming to be enlightened, either...just honest.

On the business of choosing our life situations - none of it erases free will. There have been a number of pointers in my life - synchronous ironies...the majority of which I have ignored. I could say "ignored to my detriment." But I don't say that. I don't know what they were. I don't value judge them.

So as to "choosing life experiences:" An unenlightened soul enters a body with a "plan," or a lesson to learn or a special moment to experience. But, wonder of wonders, that soul reads ET, Adya, Ramana, Nisargadatta, visits a few ashrams, sits at the feet of Byron Katie or whatever, and wakes up. Maybe the original "life goal" becomes way secondary.

OR, an enlightened soul accepts temporary amnesia, enters an infant life and then"re-awakens" at age 16, goes to Arunachala and lives a life of deep awareness and reflection and emanation.

I'm just curious. But I'm curious about many things, including how the new recipe for hot sauce I'm working on will taste, or how these new irons (golf) will perform when I reshaft them, or how long it will take me to lose ten pounds, or when my friend will start feeling better, etc... idle curiousity about form, and even non-physical manifestations...which are also form.

Much of Ms. Danison's book is about duality, but I believe her discovery of the "dual" nature of our consciousness (human animal vs. Light Being/SourceBeam) lines up pretty well with Eckhart's definition of ego vs. true Self-Realization.

I am, however, not the final authority... :)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:24 am

Hey y`all,

my opinion to reincarnation/afterlife:

After i read ET the first time, i thought that animals are a higher being than humans, because they just live, never worry/"think" and take everything just like it is. They dont have to overcome the human mind, so they dont have to suffer. And i thought the living in the nirvana must be a being as an animal or plant maybe even on this world, u might get killed by another animal, but u will let it happen and wont offer ressistance when its clear that u lost the fight. So maybe there is even no suffering because the animal dont make a problem out of it. The weaker form sacrifices itself to the stronger form, and this goes on and on and on....

About 3years later i read some book of the dalai lama, it says: U can be reburn as either
human,animal, or "hell-human" (Dont know how to translate it in english exactly)

If u are born as human, u are the highest, because u could learn the path of buddha, followed by the animals, and the worst is the "hell-human" (might be a human who is damned to suffer the whole life and will never come out of the mind, i dont know).
Some later time i watched some movie, dont remember the name, but in it, someone asked the question: what can a cochlea do, to be reborn as some higher being?.....animals always to the same right? they cant do something good or bad. They just do what they are born to do. So i just cannot believe that an animal is at a lower state than a human, since it cannot go up or down, it just is what it is and thats it.

Now i believe that there must be some kind of reincarnation, i believe that if u die, this something, what we feel in our inner-body, that, what stays constant at all time, leaves the dying form and will come up in some other form. Energy will never be lost!! But its not our task to think about it anymore, like "in what form ? higher/lower being ? and so on". I also believe: As long as there are human beings who do harm to other beings (They can choose if they do harm or let it be, since they are humans), there will be living born in suffering. And maybe the paradise is there when any human died or anyone is enlightened.

Lets just live and accept everything that is. The sence of life is probably to understand how suffering arises, to learn to avoid that and to help others by explainig this to them.

If this reply gives u another idea, just post it, i would love to read it. Its not sooo important but funny.

Peace and a big smile from the present moment to you all!!!

erbeeflower

Post by erbeeflower » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:13 pm

"The sence of life is probably to understand how suffering arises, to learn to avoid that and to help others by explainig this to them."

Yes !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:24 am

Does this as well relate to when we die and have no physical form?
I'm not aware of Tolle's ideas of the afterlife, but in Vedanta, Atman (the Self) has no physical form at all. That meaning, you don't have a body, even the apparent relationship between the Self and the individual body is not really true, but appears so because of the bodies unique viewpoint in time and space. The Self is completely without any form, no appearance, no size, no shape, no attributes. It never came into being like an object does, it doesn't change, and never comes to harm. It doesn't die either. Reincarnation is false because the Self was never incarnated into any form. The Self does not really express itself through form as an individual, the demarcartion of 'expression' is a false one. Every single individual body appears in the Self, there is not an aspect or speck of the Self incarnated into each physical form. The whole gamut of physicality, of matter, of energy and of space appears in the Self, but the Self is not touched by any of these. When that appearance of otherness is put aside for a moment, one can clearly know that the Self has no boundaries, no limits, it is everywhere, all pervading. It isn't coming or going, it's not like a wave in the ocean, it is like the very depths, untouched, stainless, formless.

And, as they say in the upanishads; "THAT THOU ART."
No reincarnation, no afterlife, no death. :)

mmy

Post by mmy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 am

That was my question way back when I first joined. Now it is hard to believe I really asked something like that. Thanks Ananda, as always, for the beautiful reminders.