When the ego speaks...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
the key master

Re: When the ego speaks...

Post by the key master » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Hey soapbox,
Yeah, I'm aware of it after all is said and done, but it's only to when I start reacting to angry events again.
Through awareness change will happen through you. Don't look for results. In silence we grow.

Check out Adyashanti's True Meditation. The audio version, which comes with the book, provides an excellent(in my opinion the best) guided meditation to connect with Being. Your true essence is most easily realized in states of peace and tranquility. Use these instances in your life to become familiar with Self. Set aside times throughout the day for this practice. Then when sticky situations arise, egoic patterns will less likely to emerge.

Best,
Jason

soapbox

Post by soapbox » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks for the comments again, guys.

One thing: are all egoic voices the same way? Are some more detectable than others? What is that based off of?

goldenbirdies

Post by goldenbirdies » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:48 pm

Since reading Eckhart, situations that previously would have made me angry I am now seeing simply as ego conflicts ("ripples on the surface of the lake") and they no longer bother me as often. Occasional glimpses of "presence" have made this easier. Ego gets the better of me sometimes, but I feel things are moving in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Dave
Last edited by goldenbirdies on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet

the key master

Post by the key master » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:52 am

are all egoic voices the same way? Are some more detectable than others? What is that based off of?
Ego is simply identification with thought. Innate tendencies of the mind typically are shaped through the experience of pain and pleasure. Fear of pain and desire of pleasure lay at the heart of egoic structure. As your fears, desires, and attachments vary, the dynamic of ego likewise varies. Enquire within your own mind and attack egoic structure at the root. For instance, if you get into an argument with someone, which is caused by the other disagreeing with your point of view, your attachment is to your point of view, to a thought. Someone disagrees with your thought and your sense of self feels threatened. Enquiring more deeply, you see this unfolding from the timeless essence of your Being. If you truly know you are not your body/mind, that you are the Supreme Reality and that the concept of "me" and "other" is entirely illusory, your attachment to your thought will diminish.

Soapbox, that's what this is all about. There are no quick answers to your questions. Words will do nothing for you if you don't enquire within and see with clarity the Truth to where they point. Ego operates in so many ways. Whenever an event leads to suffering, enquire within. "Enlightenment is a demolition project." Knock down the walls your mind has constructed around your Being and the light of your consciousness will radiate more freely. Words are the wrecking ball-you my friend must set the ball in motion.

Best,
Jason

soapbox

Post by soapbox » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 am

Why does this feel so impossible for me? I still react to events and what people call "me" just as if I never knew about any of this. It's like being at the movies; you can say what's going on but you can't do or change anything happening in the movie. What am I missing? Why is this so difficult for me?

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:39 am

Dear friend,

There are many ways to reduce the "getting caught up" in the movie or story of one's life.

While self-inquiry is an excellent practice as pointed out by other folks, I believe that it is suited to only a select few.

There are as many practices that help us stabilize in the NOW, in peace, as there are people on this planet.

The key is to begin a formal practice of some kind where you invite your difficulties and simply sit with them, be with them.

The more you want your difficulties to leave you, the greater they grow.

Want nothing to change, be willing to be awake for the greatest horrors or worst reactions that your mind can generate.

Simply be with all of this. And in time you may discover that these are phenomena that do not wipe you out, that they pass.

I believe that many people who come to Power of Now or any of Eckhart's works without any kind of meditative work, will only get superficial benefit from this teachings.

To be told that freedom exists is an excellent thing. But to be shown the way is even better.

Eckhart's path is best for those who have at least traveled on some kind of path to stabilize in peace, and are now willing to jump into the ocean of nothingness.

Unless you have had extreme suffering which has then led to cessation of thought, you can be assured that without some kind of formal spiritual practice or some real dedicated heart and soul opening practice you will continue to be where you are at today.

I find also that mounting frustration with one's ego and the greater time that one spends in the company of teachings such as Eckhart's can also help lead to a caving in of the ego.

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:10 am

Wise words, innerhike. Your idea about everyone having their own path of spiritual awakening rings true.

Also, Soapbox, don't focus on the fact that what you're trying to do is hard. The more you think that, the more it becomes true for you.
~housecat

the key master

Post by the key master » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:02 am

Hey inner hike,

Excellent post.
While self-inquiry is an excellent practice as pointed out by other folks, I believe that it is suited to only a select few.
I concur with this, but feel it is an option available to all. In Reality, surrender is always available now. Self-enquiry perpetuates the illusion of ego as it a method unfolding in a fragmented reality treating past, present, and future as equally real. A glimpse of Truth is critical for enquiry to lead to a lasting shift in consciousness. Otherwise, the individual never realizes the fruits of Self-enquiry, which is no longer needing Self-enquiry. Ego can chase its tail for lifetimes.

Vigilance is equally important. As Maharaj states, there are Gurus everywhere, that Life itself is the ultimate Guru, but True disciples are rare indeed.
I believe that many people who come to Power of Now or any of Eckhart's works without any kind of meditative work, will only get superficial benefit from this teachings.
Agreed. Vigilance in action. Spirituality can transform ego, or it can take one beyond. Each walks the path for his time and place. Be in grace, whereever you are. Appreciative attention, appreciative attention...

-Jason