Reason For Living

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Reason For Living

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:12 pm

Hey all,

I'd like to tell you all about my story and how Eckhart's teachings changed my life. Then, I will ask a question and I would appreciate if people would respond.

Last Friday, (not yesterday) I was reading the book, Hamlet. I reached the part about suicide and it being a sin in the Christian religion. Suicide became a big thought for me. I pondered about it and suddenly I realized it took over my mind and I started to suffer. I just couldn't get it out of my head, the thought of it.

Monday came, and I came home crying, realizing I had to tell my family I was depressed. I had been depressed on and off in my life, but it had to come out. I couldn't function, I was anti-social, and had a lot of fears.

As my deep depression continued and got deeper, I began to feel seriously worthless and no point. I contemplated the "To be or not to be," speech. I did not want to die, and it never came to the point of ending my life, but I felt there was no reason to live. Everything was colorless.

The next day, I realized Eckhart was in a similar situation. I had read the beginning of the book a while back because my Dad is crazy for those kind of books. I read the book, because it was almost like my last resort to be happy again. I read it slowly and began to feel something filling up with happiness. I always knew about Buddhism and the NOW, but never got into it as much as now.

I sort of fell back into the depression because I thought, "Why are we living if life only causes pain, and why not just kill ourselves and be in peace forever?" I would never kill myself, but I just wondered what's the point of suffering? Is there a point to life? Is there a goal we need to do in order to reach a sort of heaven?

My question to all of you is, do you believe there is a point to life? Obviously, we're here, but why? Of course no one really knows, but what are your opinions?

Thank you so much for taking the time out and reading all of this.

Postby ambhuruham » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:45 pm

These are only my opinions, but...

It is uniquely human to need a why. We all seem to need one just to keep from killing ourselves. But when you ask why the universe is the way that it is, the best answer is "just because." We are here just because we are here.

When you set aside your body, mind, and ego, you'll find that you will also set aside the need to have a purpose.

That said, I do believe that there exist extremely low "levels" of purpose. For example, a human's purpose could be to become a doctor or to be happy. I think that purpose sort of stems from desire. Humans want something, so achieving it is their purpose. That's all it seems to be. You may find that all purposes except for enlightenment are superficial because after you achieve them, there is no purpose left and you'll find yourself craving another one.

I do think that there is a purpose that is natural to all humans in their many lives. It is a sort of tendency to find enlightenment and eventually stop reincarnating. To exist freely of anything but themselves. After you achieve this purpose, you will not need another. This is what I believe the point to life is.
~KittyKat

so ham
ambhuruham

Postby FG » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:49 am

That is true. However, there seems to be a purpose and I'll explain why. The Christians believe in being good and eventually dying to be with God forever in peace. Sort of sounds like Buddhism, only with God.

My question is, what about people who say they've seen God or they've had an outer body experience. Like seeing a beautiful light. Or what about being a Guardian Angel?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the basic of Buddhism is to become nothing. And Buddhism seems to make the most sense, but why would we be here to eventually become nothing. I mean, there's dogs, cats, bees, etc. Everything works with the universe. For example, without the sun a chair cannot be created. So it seems like there's something else working out there, which is God. I do believe we are all one, but I just think it's possible that there's a beauty that we will all live in peace at some point, and maybe that's what Buddhism is. I haven't done enough research on it, don't take what I'm saying wrong.

Don't you feel that the mind is a gift? I mean, I'd like to free myself from the pain of it, but I love having a mind just for creation. I accept not being the mind, but I love that it's there. Not saying I love the ego and want my body forever. No, I just like the fact that I can think if I want.

Thanks for answering me by the way. So give me your thoughts on what I said.
FG

Postby heidi » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:25 am

I find that the more "nothing" i am, the more joy happens.
I don't see that as purpose, I see that as a perq of just being.

How about this?
Our purpose is to just Be.
And on the natural plane, we live, we die, we become compost and nourish what comes after us.
:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Sunshine » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:08 am

I have nothing more to add to what the others have said, really. They have hit the nail on the head.

Do the trees or birds ever ask why they are here? Their purpose is just being there. So is ours.

When the concepts and theories (including issues on the purpose of our existence) are tossed out of window--that's when you experience that lightness of being. All questioning stops automatically.

Sunshine
Sunshine

Postby FG » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 pm

Yes, you are all right. The part about a bird and a tree is very true.

I was just wondering: How do you guys feel about other religions like Christianity, Hinduism, etc.?

Do you guys believe their theories or do you think it's all fake?

Personally, I have no major faith anymore, as I was once a Christian, because I was born as one, but I feel that most, if not all religions teach the basic truths.
FG

Postby heidi » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:48 am

I think there are lessons to be learned everywhere. But the biggest problems with those religions is that they personify Creation. Instead of just being it, it becomes dualistic. God and Me - but, as we are all knowing, we Are Creation, verbs not nouns, so the lessons religions try to teach remove the Beingness of being by personifying the divine.
Heidi
heidi

Postby FG » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:18 pm

Very true.

Have any of you heard of don Juan? He is sort of like a Buddha.

I suggest you look up Carlos Casteneda and you'll find a ton of books by him.

Some really good sites you may enjoy are:

http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/

http://jimvb.home.mindspring.com/ser1998Oct11.htm

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/afterdeath.htm

Enjoy!
FG

Postby guest » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:54 pm

FG wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the basic of Buddhism is to become nothing. And Buddhism seems to make the most sense, but why would we be here to eventually become nothing. I mean, there's dogs, cats, bees, etc. Everything works with the universe. For example, without the sun a chair cannot be created. So it seems like there's something else working out there, which is God. I do believe we are all one, but I just think it's possible that there's a beauty that we will all live in peace at some point, and maybe that's what Buddhism is. I haven't done enough research on it, don't take what I'm saying wrong.

Don't you feel that the mind is a gift? I mean, I'd like to free myself from the pain of it, but I love having a mind just for creation. I accept not being the mind, but I love that it's there. Not saying I love the ego and want my body forever. No, I just like the fact that I can think if I want.

Thanks for answering me by the way. So give me your thoughts on what I said.

Mind is a tool. Handy to have, but limited like all tools. Mind is what writes the play in which egos act. What is the mistake is to identify with mind and believe "this is me". Then the play the mind is writing is taken for reality and this is not true. It is not a problem to use your mind. It is a problem to mistake your mind or it's products as being yourself. This is the deception from which all suffering comes.

Do not use your mind to understand the term "nothing". As an intellectual concept "nothing" could be "everything". The nothing is the one from which the all springs and into which the all returns. It is intellectually meaningless but experientially the whole of truth.

Postby hereanow » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:11 pm

Great topic which has prompted my first post on this site. Thank you everyone.I have been reading ET listening to tapes and videos and attending a silent group for 2 1/2 years.
Maybe just being here, being present and alive is more significant than why we might be here. I more often ask how I am being lately rather than why or what am I here for... Also I ask where am I (when mind has taken me hostage somewhere) and often the moment I ask I am then here and present in I amness.

When feeling in/of presence even momentarily the 'how's. when's, where's and why's of this and that seem to fall away. Nothing to want or wonder about. I experience it as a feeling of overflowing enoughness, not outside of me more like through me.

So difficult to speak of in words when our whole language is of the mind.
In appreciation of the inviting warmth of this site.
I'm struggling somewhat at the moment which is a blessing really cos it's helped me reach out here and make some contact on this Forum. How Wonderful.
hereanow
hereanow

Postby heidi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:24 pm

Glad you're here, here and now, hereand now :)
Heidi
heidi

A reason for living

Postby gina » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:12 am

Last edited by gina on Sat May 06, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gina

Postby lucy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 am

I find I get into trouble when I start to question "why" things are the
way they are. I agonize and deliberate over decisions. I know that if I just let things
unfold, everything will turn out fine. In school we were taught to have an analytical mind, to question and interpret everything; not to accept things on face value, I realize now that there is a lot of unconditioning that has to take place in order to live peacfully.
lucy

Re: Reason For Living

Postby phil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:44 am

Anonymous wrote:As my deep depression continued and got deeper, I began to feel seriously worthless and no point. I contemplated the "To be or not to be," speech.

Please pardon and ignore this if it's not relevant to your situation.

Perhaps we can introduce biology. Young people are jam packed with all kinds of chemicals, energies, hormones etc etc that often amplify all their experiences, fun and not so fun. This is all according to plan of course. An awareness like "that's just my chemicals talking" might come in handy sometimes. Kinda like dealing with a hangover perhaps?

Another part of the big plan is that young people are blessed with ignorance. That's what makes being young fun, the freshness of it, being unencumbered by too many facts of life.
Thinking one is not ignorant is um, part of the ignorance.

When you add chemicals and ignorance together, being young can be a struggle sometimes, no doubt about it.

The point I'm trying to bumble in to is, unless you're over 50, don't worry too awful much about the meaning of life.

And don't make any big decisions based on your understandings, or lack thereof.

Such understandings don't come upon demand, they aren't served for free on a platter. They come when they come, according to their own schedule. And they often arrive on a bus called pain.

In the meantime, finding someone who has more troubles than us, and giving them a hand up, can change the subject, and get the ball rolling again.

Nursing homes are crammed to the rafters with people who can _help you_ here. You don't need love first, just aim yourself at someone you can help, and push one foot in front of the other like a machine, and love will find you.

The very best of luck to you, and welcome.

(And if you're over 50, just color me clueless... :oops: )
phil

Postby be-lank » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:08 am

"You are here to enable the divine
purpose of the universe to unfold."

"That is how important you are!"

Eckhart Tolle
be-lank

Next

Return to Questions