Can I give Eckhart's books as a gift?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
charissa

Can I give Eckhart's books as a gift?

Post by charissa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:04 am

Can I give Eckhart's books, either A New Earth, Stillness Speaks, or The Power of Now to someone who isn't currently "ready" for the information within? If so, which one of the three is easiest to comprehend for someone not of the spiritual/present mindset?
"Parents can accept their child's invitation to slow down and appreciate the beauty and connection that life offers each day...Children need to be enjoyed and valued, not managed." -Parenting from the Inside Out

Intel

Re: Can I give Eckhart's books as a gift?

Post by Intel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 am

Well you can give them a book if you wanna...
If they're ready they're ready, if they're not they're not. You can't judge if a person is ready to get serious about remaining present, we all have the potential. If might be the happy go lucky guy or the depressive alcoholic, you never know.

If the person isn't interested in spirituality, I would suggest A New Earth. If they're having a rough time in their lives, POW would do it.

It has been mentioned a few times on this forum but I'll say it again. The best way to teach others is not by what you say or what book you give them, but through your very presence. That is the most powerful and direct teaching.
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 am

ANE is the most accessible. If you are certain they are not ready, why give them Eckhart's books? (Might be counterproductive?)

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:36 am

If you want to give a book for a good but simple intro into awakened presence to one not ready for Tolle, consider Spenser Johnson's "The Prescious Present". Or Anthony De Mello"s "One Minute Wisdom". Both are simple yet excellent pointers to a clearer sense of being.

WW

charissa

Post by charissa » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:45 am

Thank you all for your replies! and WW thank you for the alternate suggestions.

I appreciate the comment to just be present myself. I have a difficult time doing that. I read ANE and get engrossed in the ideas presented, but unless I read or watch video of Eckhart each day I quickly lose presence.

I was thinking of getting a book for my mother in law for Christmas. Her mother just passed away and she is having a very hard time with it and is very attached to all her mother's material possessions that she left behind. Perhaps she is not ready and one of the alternately suggested books is a better idea, or perhaps something different altogether.
"Parents can accept their child's invitation to slow down and appreciate the beauty and connection that life offers each day...Children need to be enjoyed and valued, not managed." -Parenting from the Inside Out

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 am

I'd like to echo Webby on "The Precious Present" by Spencer Johnson. He is the guy who wrote "Who Moved My Cheese?" and "The One Minute Manager." But he wrote TPP in 1981!!! Well before his other books and PON. Very simple story, a ten-minute read, but very special nondual message - highly recommended.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Sighclone wrote:I'd like to echo Webby on "The Precious Present" by Spencer Johnson. He is the guy who wrote "Who Moved My Cheese?" and "The One Minute Manager." But he wrote TPP in 1981!!! Well before his other books and PON. Very simple story, a ten-minute read, but very special nondual message - highly recommended.
Thank you, WW and SC for mentioning these books.
"The Precious Present" is indeed a nice short read.
Anyone who is interested, can get it from here for free:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/404643/The-Precious-Present

(You only need to provide "some/any" email address, and there is no account activation needed.)