Who give up to resistance?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
stylelife

Who give up to resistance?

Post by stylelife » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:35 pm

When we no longer resist to that moment,WHO give up the resistance?

Glycine

Re: Who give up to resistance?

Post by Glycine » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Good question. I don't think the awareness gives up.
I guess that the thinking mind gives up resistance!

moonsong

Post by moonsong » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:01 pm

Thank you, Glycine, for that perfectly wonderful, simplistic, direct, easy to understand reply! Just when I was feeling really discouraged...when I was not able to even begin to relate my reading and comprehension of Eckhart's books to so many of the posts, I found your short post so beautifully refreshing. Thank you! :)
Love, Moonsong

stylelife

Post by stylelife » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm

Yes i think too that question is important to be clearly answerd.
Because does the resistance(the attitude of) can give up to be resistance?
It's funny that eckhart tolle has never talks or gives precisions about that aspect and i reckons that it's important.
Because i don't think that the mind which is the analyzer part of our brain can himself give up to less be active but on the contrary ,the right emisphere can regulate et be more active in order to reach an balance state of brain activity (what childs do).
Maybe the disfunction appears when this balance no longer is.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 am

There is no who that "gives up" resistance. What is discovered is that when mind abates so does the one who resists. Resistance is only a function of mind, and without mind creating a "resister" there is no resistance. Mind falls away and "what is" unfolds as it always has but now without mental interference.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:34 am

kiki wrote:There is no who that "gives up" resistance. What is discovered is that when mind abates so does the one who resists. Resistance is only a function of mind, and without mind creating a "resister" there is no resistance.
This is very interesting, and I like it a lot.
However, my only question is: Why does the "observer/awareness/the one/being" pay so much attention to the mind? Why can't it "function" if the mind is preoccupied with forms?

Juno

Post by Juno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:04 am

There is only the One Mind and it is the one functioning. It is the one looking at the forms. It's just an illusion that "you" are preoccupied with forms.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

mikel

Post by mikel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:00 pm

However, my only question is: Why does the "observer/awareness/the one/being" pay so much attention to the mind? Why can't it "function" if the mind is preoccupied with forms?
there is no why... at least thats what I am beginning to see

eventually once all the endless questioniong has played itself out there can be a ending of or relaxing of the mental, intellectual search and a beginning of an experiential exploration, which takes you beyound the boundries of your intellect. this is where all the juice and sweetness of life is found and to hang out in the fields of your raw experience will begin to settle your heart and mind in ways you cannot predict or imagine.

"Going beyond thought is open to all of us in so far as the mystery of life is not
a problem to be solved, but a reality to experience." Alan Watts

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:56 pm

>When we no longer resist to that moment,WHO give up the resistance?

Resistance.
---ooOoo---

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 pm

There seems to be an attempt to make "awakening" "enlightenment" dualistic.
Awakening is not abandoning the mind/body/Human Experience for realization.
It is the peaceful, profound realization that we are mind/body/consciousness AND Pure Awareness.
Not either/or but rather the addition of realization to the total experience - which becomes a greatly expanded and enhanced experience in which the limitations of egoic dysfunction (living only in the mind) melt away.
Peace

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:29 pm

HermitLoon:
>There .... etc., etc.

I think thats right to.
Or:
Thats also right.
---ooOoo---

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 pm

HermitLoon wrote:There seems to be an attempt to make "awakening" "enlightenment" dualistic.
Awakening is not abandoning the mind/body/Human Experience for realization.
It is the peaceful, profound realization that we are mind/body/consciousness AND Pure Awareness.
Not either/or but rather the addition of realization to the total experience - which becomes a greatly expanded and enhanced experience in which the limitations of egoic dysfunction (living only in the mind) melt away.
Thank you, HermitLoon for a wonderful reply.

I'm wondering if anyone could shed more light on this: if we are mind/body/consciousness and Pure Awareness, why do we need to quiet our mind in order to become present and aware (at least at the beginning of the process)?

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks Glycine :)
There is no "need" to quiet the mind, and yet it is helpful in the realization/experience of the indescribable Pure Awareness that we also are (beyond the mind) - at least at first.
There is then a shift in attention/perspective from the illusions of limitation in the thinking mind to the unlimited reality of Pure Awareness.
Once experienced there is no "going back" - it becomes the "Peace that passeth all understanding" - the "common matrix of all experience".
Last edited by HermitLoon on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:21 pm

But what about this way:

Mind gets to a peak and it has no other possibility than to stop,
it no longer resists, understands its futility, and it drops.
What is left is CrystalClarity.
---ooOoo---

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes Marcel - "Clarity" is a great description :D
Peace