Health and Safety Issue

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
goldenbirdies

Health and Safety Issue

Post by goldenbirdies » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi -

My thinking mind is obsessing about a situation at my work-place, where (in my view) my employer is compromising health and safety with some maintenance work they are doing. They are effectively working with unguarded machinery, in an area where many people are forced to walk in close proximity to the machinery. I have verbally raised my concerns with the 2 managers involved, but they have played down my concerns.

My question is: Do I accept this, and be non-resistant; or do I take it further (eg: to Health & SAfety Executive) - thereby fulfilling my social conscience but putting myself in a state of conflict with my line managers? Or do I become so present that I don't even think about it?

Thanks

David
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet

Juno

Re: Health and Safety Issue

Post by Juno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:56 pm

This is going to sound stupid but I would do what I'm going to do because I'm going to do it anyway. Wether it's to just notice or Call up Osha : ) Just see what you do in the moment and take the pressure off. Maybe the solution will present itself to you.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

tod

Post by tod » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Whatever happens, you carry on being nonresistant to what shows up.

At the moment you are nonresistant to a dilemma. What may happen is that after being nonresistant to further conversation on this dilemma, you find yourself nonresistantly on one or other side of it.

However your managers behave, you remain nonresistant (to what shows up).

With best wishes,

domokato

Post by domokato » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 pm

goldenbirdies wrote:Do I accept this, and be non-resistant; or do I take it further (eg: to Health & SAfety Executive) - thereby fulfilling my social conscience but putting myself in a state of conflict with my line managers?
Nonresistance is an internal thing. If something is unsafe, resistance may come in the form of becoming emotional about it or thinking about it incessantly. Instead, look at the situation in presence, and if you can change it for the better, then do it. Do not let your ego get involved, because action that arises from the ego will cause suffering. If you feel your managers are competent, then do nothing. If you feel your managers are incompetent, then take it up with the higher ups. Of course, first you have to determine if your feelings towards your managers are ego driven or not. If they are, then change this before making your decision. Try to view them in an egoless light. Forgive their egos and see them as they are.

Remember, remaining egoless is the most important part. Compare:

With lots of ego: "Look, if you don't take that machine away, I'm going to talk to the health and safety exec and get it taken down for you!"
With minimal ego: "I still feel unsafe around that machine, so I'm just letting you know that I'm going to talk to the health and safety exec to see what he thinks about it."

Now imagine the reaction of your managers to each one. I think the one with minimal ego will get a much better response and cause less suffering, while still getting the job done. Of course, certain people will still react egoically to egolessness. That, you can't really help :)
goldenbirdies wrote:Or do I become so present that I don't even think about it?
If you trust your managers' opinions about the machine and are having trouble quieting your mind, then this may be an appropriate response as well. But remember, presence is not about not thinking. Rather, not thinking is a doorway into presence. Afterwards, the mind can be used again, this time as a tool.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck :)
Last edited by domokato on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
~housecat

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:59 am

Acting from presence includes what Eckhart calls a "quality no." (Please bring me warm soup...) Sounds like you have already mentioned the issue to your supervisors. The next step falls in the realm of causality, too, albeit with higher consequences. Do not expect your level of presence to necessarily influence anyone. But do expect your supervisors to be miffed if you go over their heads. That action will be perceived by all parties from their level of awareness, which, for most people is unconsciousness. So they will do what they will do...could be anything from coming to you and thanking you for your vigilance to summary dismissal. Take your chances with your eyes open.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:08 pm

goldenbirdies wrote:Hi -

My question is: Do I accept this, and be non-resistant; or do I take it further (eg: to Health & SAfety Executive) - thereby fulfilling my social conscience but putting myself in a state of conflict with my line managers? Or do I become so present that I don't even think about it?

I worked in an industrial setting for 30yrs, I think I have some understanding of your situation.

My plan would be this. Quietly point out obvious hazards to your boss,then back off give it some space.

All ways practice good safety,be an example of quality and safety. If you go over the bosses head there will be

blow back, I've been there. So before you start stirring the nest-make sure you have your back side covered.

From a quiet place- you make the call, is life and limb in danger or is it something marginal?

goldenbirdies

Post by goldenbirdies » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. During the space I have allowed myself since posing my dilemma on here, it has resolved itself. I asked the opinion of someone who works more often in the affected zone, and who carries more responsibilty (and is paid more!), on the hazards. They too had had concerns. Later in the day they informed me that (by sheer co-incidence (!)) a safety audit was going to occur that very afternoon.

The points made about avoiding ego, making space and treading carefully with (probably) unconscious managers are all sound.

David
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet