Surrender - clarifying it!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
luke

Surrender - clarifying it!

Post by luke » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 am

I understand that "surrendering to the moment" is 'powerful', but i cant seem to convert that into actually applying/using it practically. The few times i did try, i think i tried too hard, constantly grilling myself to see if id done it right, constantly trying to surrender again and again even tho i didnt know know what i was trying to surrender to (ie, nothing in particular)

So i guess it would help me to clarify a few things.
1) Is it (surrender, accepting, etc) something you actively do, as in you consciously accept things as they are, or is it more of a passive thing, as in just be aware of the resistence (as thoughts, reactions, etc)?
I know its all linked, but if it is the latter - whats the diff. between surrender and dis-identifying from your mind?

2) There are many times where surrender isnt needed, yes? If things are just going along smoothly, its not needed?
As in, its generally only useful/used when something "goes wrong" and we resist it? (ie, at certain times?)
I somehow got the impression it was something you had to do again and again and again, even when nothing is really wrong.

Thx!

innerhike

Re: Surrender - clarifying it!

Post by innerhike » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:34 am

Luke,

Thank you for bringing this up. This is an on-going journey for me, hopefully a constant refinement, so my answers reflect where I am at.

Surrender is a state whereby one is living in a state of Grace.

Words, mind efforts at trying to grasp these things make them seem like things, when in reality it is who we are.

Coming home is surrender.

Home is a place where I do not exist.

It is not an idea.

In this place I actually feel and know experientially that my life as I know it does not really exist, except in my thoughts and "normal" mind state.

---

Ramana Maharshi has an example with regard to surrender.

He said that once you are aboard a train you do not keep carrying your luggage, you set it down, the train will carry you and the luggage.

This idea is sometimes referred to as non-doership by authors and teachers in the nondual community (if there is such a thing!).

Who is "doing" Life, who is making your heart beat, the earth rotate, etc.?

Can you think of yourself without the energy that powers you, which some call consciousness?

---

Ramana Maharshi at one time said that partial surrender will surely lead to full surrender.

There are many who seem to believe in the sudden school of enlightenment whereby complete surrender happens instantly.

In my reality I find that this is an on-going letting go and re-engagement with Life and myself under new parameters, characterized especially by less resistance and ideas, and more energy for greater challenges.

---

Fundamentally I agree that I am free right now, but the reality for me is that I cycle in and out of this. To reduce this cycling in and out we have all manner of spiritual practices, so that we stabilize in our "true nature".

Surrender not just the bad, but also the good.

Let everything be what it is.

---

Gradual surrender must go on until one is completely free of the burden that brings any kind of personal sorrow or suffering.

The more I reside in peace, the more peace washes out my conditioning, the grit.

To be in peace I have to do nothing, simply allow everything to be as it is.

There are levels of clarity.

What starts as awareness of suffering or resistance eventually gives way to complete peace, bliss.

The more I reside in stillness, the less anything bothers me.

I do not become desensitized but actually my capacity to empathize increases exponentially.

I am no longer filled with my reactivity, but instead able to embrace each and every point of view and suffering that is out there.

I am not in this all of the time, but questions such as yours help me come back to it.

We are all striving for a simple thing: stable happiness, that is complete, full and free-standing.

Unconditional love as vast as this universe, without boundary.

How do we get there?

Simply by letting go, by just being as we are, confused at first, hurt at first, but slowly allowing the inner love, the ever present peace to take over.

Give in to this peace. That is all surrender is.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:08 am

I visited a friend today in the psychiatric ward of a general hospital. He asked to be admitted through his psychiatrist. He cannot sit still with himself. So I sat with him. He is a fundamentalist Christian. I used to be one of those. I gave him copies of ANE and PON. He had ECT, and may have more. He is learning the meaning of complete surrender.

He is surrendering through layers of self and conditioning and reflex judgements. Through scripts and rackets and games. Through hopes and loves and hates. When he surrenders, in deepest, most fragile vulnerability, through the last egoic safety net, he will be "at the very end of his rope." As kiki reminds us, when he finally has the courage to let go, and does so, in that instant he will discover that he has been standing on the ground the whole time.

Then he will be home. And as innerhike said so exquisitely: "Home is a place where I do not exist."

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Wow Innerhike! :D Beautiful "pointing"!
Peace

domokato

Post by domokato » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:42 am

luke wrote:1) Is it (surrender, accepting, etc) something you actively do, as in you consciously accept things as they are, or is it more of a passive thing, as in just be aware of the resistence (as thoughts, reactions, etc)?
I know its all linked, but if it is the latter - whats the diff. between surrender and dis-identifying from your mind?
It's passive. You may have to actively remind yourself to do so, but the act itself is passive. Resistance can be felt in your body and mind. The feeling of non-resistance is the same as the feeling of peace. Being aware of the resistance leads to letting go of the resistance. Disidentification with the mind immediately leads to surrender, so it's the same thing. They're all the same.
luke wrote:2) There are many times where surrender isnt needed, yes? If things are just going along smoothly, its not needed?
As in, its generally only useful/used when something "goes wrong" and we resist it? (ie, at certain times?)
I somehow got the impression it was something you had to do again and again and again, even when nothing is really wrong.
If you are in a state of presence, you are surrendering already. If things in your life situation are going good, this says nothing about your inner state. If things are going good and you are still in the grips of your ego, this will cause suffering down the line. Surrendering to "good things" and "bad things" coming and going into and out of your life situation will stabilize you in peace.

Good luck :)
~housecat

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 am

The words "surrender and accept" both imply a stressor. That stressor can be anything.

If it is an uncomfortable feeling or memory or thought, you surrender to it, let it flow into your consciousness fully, witness it, but don't energize it...there is a space created, and it will lose its intensity. It may re-appear again and again, and "forgive" also works as a word to trigger surrender. Eventually it will lose its impact.

It can also be a street thug about to swing a tire iron at you. In one instant you accept that he is there, accept totally, then look him in the eyes and deflect the blow. Remaining present for his dark energy will cause it to diminish. Accept his presence and deliver a quality "no." I do not believe it is necessary to surrender to the wishes of everyone, including his wish that you become unconscious so he can steal from you.

Surrendereing is conscious, of course, passive in that you are inviting the stress in, but also active in "not energizing" it. Let us say you are very resentful about something you perceive someone has done to you. You can stew in that anger forever. That angst will show up in your body somewhere. Or you can acknowledge the feeling, yield to it, own it, and be the space for it. Your painbody cannot rule unless you give it the scepter.

Your experience of Joy (when "nothing is wrong") is not a surrender so much as an experience of just being.

In your first question you are asking for a refinement in language of a subtle point...let me grind on in a bit more: Surrender is active in that you choose to let an uncomfortable feeling or thought into your consciousness. It is "passive" in that you do not actively "agree" with it or "energize" it. It is not passive in that you "be aware of the resistance." You do not create the resistance in the first place. In fact, you actively "not resist." Just be the space for the feeling. It is important to own that it exists in you...not judge it, just own it.

Hope that helps, luke...it is a good question, heartfelt.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

weopposedeception

Post by weopposedeception » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:52 am

A cab driver in Manhattan once gave me a crash course in acceptance: "it is what is is, and it ain't what it ain't!". :D