The Antichrist

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
soapbox

The Antichrist

Post by soapbox » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:48 am

Since we've learned from ET about what the bible was really trying to say, what is the antichrist, exactly? And is this antichrist gonna come into the world in physical form or what?

James

Re: The Antichrist

Post by James » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 am

what is the antichrist,...?
That is easy, we are, when we resist what IS, we are resisting our Christ nature or natural state of Being, that is in harmony and one with the Source. In that state of resistance we are mentally cut off.

If you look at the origin of the word Satan, you can see how it developed from the idea of "one who opposes" or resists, into a supernatural character that is seen as outside of us, which is a mental projection. Often this projection is onto other people, externally focused, which is a good away to avoid the truth in oneself, (denial).

From dictionary.com
Satan
proper name of the supreme evil spirit in Christianity, O.E. Satan, from L.L. Satan (in Vulgate, in O.T. only), from Gk. Satanas, from Heb. satan "adversary, one who plots against another," from satan "to show enmity to, oppose, plot against," from root s-t-n "one who opposes, obstructs, or acts as an adversary." In Septuagint (Gk.) usually translated as diabolos "slanderer," lit. "one who throws (something) across" the path of another (see devil), though epiboulos "plotter" is used once.

"In biblical sources the Hebrew term the satan describes an adversarial role. It is not the name of a particular character. Although Hebrew storytellers as early as the sixth century B.C.E. occasionally introduced a supernatural character whom they called the satan, what they meant was any one of the angels sent by God for the specific purpose of blocking or obstructing human activity." [Elaine Pagels, "The Origin of Satan," 1995]
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/satan

J.

"Seek not to change the world, but choose to change your mind about the world"
ACIM (T-21.In.1:7).

soapbox

Post by soapbox » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:54 am

Wow, interesting. I didn't know that.

What about angels?

James

Post by James » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 am

What about angels?
I see angels as symbolic for spiritual ideas, a facet of God; since God is one, there isn't God and angels.

Some may prefer to believe in a literal existence of angels.

The best thing to do is not take anyone's word for it, but to discover your own insight and clarity through contemplation, stillness and Presence.

That is pretty much all I can say on the subject. You might also want to check out A Course In Miracles (ACIM), it has a lot to say about these subjects and may be helpful and illuminating.

Peace
J.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:32 am

Thanks again, James, for your lucid, gentle informed remarks.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

James

Post by James » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:24 pm

Thank you Andy and Soapbox,
For anyone curious, here is a link to A Course In Miracles official site, which explains how the material came into existence; which was a miracle in itself. The language used in ACIM is Christian, but not in the usual old time dualistic sense; so those with an interest in that tradition, might find it to be comforting. As some already know, Eckhart has a fondness for quoting passages from these writings.

http://www.acim.org/AboutACIM/how.html

One of the most important and best known statements in the book is this:

Nothing real can be threatened
Nothing unreal exists
Herein lies the peace of God

ACIM

J.

There are two ways to live your life,
one is as though nothing is a miracle,
the other is as though everything is a miracle.
Albert Einstein

happywarrior

Post by happywarrior » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:40 am

soapbox wrote:Since we've learned from ET about what the bible was really trying to say, what is the antichrist, exactly? And is this antichrist gonna come into the world in physical form or what?
I'm new the the existance of ET so I'm not sure why his explaination of the bible has such merit? I must admit I'm just a dispensational evangelical type so I would view the anti christ as an actual creature, not spiritualizing him into some mystic thought but acutal. If you use biblical terms then I would suspect that you would use biblical definitions as well. Just a thought.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 pm

happywarrior wrote:If you use biblical terms then I would suspect that you would use biblical definitions as well. Just a thought.
The definition is decided by the interpreter is it not? I agree that the definition of antichrist would be more acurate as an actual being who participates in a literal prophecy... on a dispensational evangelical web forum. But this is a Tolle forum.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

ubuntu

Post by ubuntu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:29 pm

happywarrior wrote:
I would view the anti christ as an actual creature
Created by what?
There is only one thing I am certain of, I exist and I exist NOW.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:56 am

happywarrior wrote: I'm new the the existance of ET so I'm not sure why his explaination of the bible has such merit?
Why does anyone's explaination hold merit? Is it not that such explainations ring true to some internal recognition? I'm not refering solely to logic here, logic is often just a manipulation of information into an organized conceptual form.
I must admit I'm just a dispensational evangelical type so I would view the anti christ as an actual creature, not spiritualizing him into some mystic thought but acutal. If you use biblical terms then I would suspect that you would use biblical definitions as well. Just a thought.
I think it's important that we don't give the Bible an assumption of truth or divinity. If it contains pointers to truth, those truths will stand on their own and need no propping up with presumed authority.
I would view the anti christ as an actual creature
As ubuntu has stated: "Created by what?" If God is Omnipresent and Omnipotent, that certainly leaves any manifested Anti-Christ an expression of the same creative origin as the rest of the world of form. In light of a clear understanding of the underlying oneness of being, it seems unlikely that such a condition could come into expression. Of course there are always those so attached to a conditioned belief that certain circumstances could develop that they would be willing to accept as fitting that belief.

The clearer one becomes to their essential nature however, the less likely such scenarios become.

WW