advice re Tolle's books

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Hand

advice re Tolle's books

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Guys

Any Advice?

I have got PoN, SS and Practising PoN but haven't yet bought the other books - I am struggling as on one hand I want simplicity i.e. use what I have got already but on the other hand I feel maybe i am missing something if I don't get the other books ......it is bothering me. I am reluctant to buy another book but.....

On another point - I don't understand something. Maybe I am being negative and cynical....sorry i just have to get it off my chest - it annoys me (probably ego :? ) that ET releases 'summaries' of his books - first SS (based on PoN) and then 'Oneness with life' (based on ANE) when other authors don't. Mind you, SS has been very useful to me.
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

kiki

Re: advice re Tolle's books

Post by kiki » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:05 am

Don't worry, you're not missing anything if you don't read all of them. I too am a bit put off by the latest one, which is ANE sifted down and condensed. I suspect that the publishers are looking to make more money by taking advantage of the success ANE has shown.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

innerhike

Post by innerhike » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:49 am

First item I would like to address from the original message:
I feel maybe i am missing something if I don't get the other books ......it is bothering me
The whole premise of Tolle's teaching is that you are complete, there is nothing missing in you, in this moment. This is the premise of all Advaita (non-dual teachings). To believe that we need to acquire more books, to have a more complete understanding, this in itself should be seen as an impediment, a self-created obstacle.

The best teachings or teachers liberate us, they do not cause us to become more dependent on them. To the degree you are free of your suffering, to that degree you have utilized these teachings well, in my estimation.

I find that no one can save me, except my own willingness to let go of my self-created burdens. I also find that when approaching the place called ever-present here-now-peace, I have to let go of all teachers and teachings. Even Eckhart cannot accompany me in this place, as I and my world and my suffering do not exist in this place.

Second item I would like to address is this:
it annoys me (probably ego ) that ET releases 'summaries' of his books
Some people find summaries more useful for a variety of reasons. The key quotes found in these books could be like "sutras", or aphorisms that are like nuggets of wisdom, a condensation or distillation of the thesis. Why should we worry about what Eckhart does? Let us worry about what helps us and use anything and everything to lift ourselves out of our self-created suffering.

domokato

Post by domokato » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:15 am

Hand wrote:I feel maybe i am missing something if I don't get the other books ......it is bothering me. I am reluctant to buy another book but.....
I felt that way too. So I watched most of his videos and read a lot of his articles. After a while I realized I could predict the answers he would give to questions asked of him - but all that meant was that I could think like him! I stopped watching his videos as much and started inquiring within and my understanding has evolved somewhat since then :)
~housecat

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 am

Hand -

Do read ANE.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Hand

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:51 am

Dear All

Many thanks for your replies! I will try and 'settle' a bit and see what transpires instead of worrying (!) :)

Hand

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am

A question -
what are your experiences with 'grasping'?

I have this 'grasping' mentality with regard to - well anything really!!! For example books - I have devoured them by the hundreds literally :D I suppose ego's way of filling the emptiness inside (I suppose if I actually did work on myself then that would be something <g> but just reading and not doing anything about it.

This could be happening in relation to ANE and the other ET books I haven't read - I tend to rush through them and then say "what's next!" although with PoN I have read it several times. So I am wary of going out and buying ANE I feel I need to 'integrate' PoN first.

I know that the 'grasping' thing is very common and not just with books - with TV - I find I can watch for several hours straight - although more recently I have been more discriminating in what I watch, for example tried to break it up with meditation and other things.

It is amazing as well with meditation that I can sit there and the mind runs away and starts thinking about things 5 mins later i realise and go back to the breath or whatever I know the idea is to just observe and not be attached - but for example at work.

Tara

Post by Tara » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Not really advice but more of my experience...I gathered 7 items between Tolle and Byron Katie in less than 2 months...not too mention all the videos I have watched on the internet. I am and always have been a "reader" but am realizing that I can get caught up in wanting more "knowledge" more books. While I won't stop reading or acquiring more, I will stop and try to return to the simplicity of it all. Too much starts making my mind spin and then before you know it I am in ego, analyzing or drifting off in space.

At this time I do find it helpful to go back and re-read or come here and re-read or re-watch videos...maybe that will lessen with time??? (or maybe it is my aging body as I am quite forgetful lately...lol) I do have days where I give it a little break and "focus" more on being in the moment with my daily tasks or sometimes just lose myself in a tv show or turn on music.

Knowledge is power they say, but the bible says "Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh"

Hand

Post by Hand » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks Tara
get caught up in wanting more "knowledge" more books
Yes exactly, I feel I need to try to 'live' the teachings for a while at least

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:39 pm

In this forum and on the pages of books we have words. That's it...words. (Plus emoticons :) ) Eckhart's fundamental message could be communicated in about one pageful of words. But his objective is to guide. And he says several times that the message is more than the words, but, nonetheless, his words are special. And yes, digging through everything written by enlightened beings might send you spinning into a whirlpool of thoughts.

I believe Eckhart - from other reading, the use of reason and (mainly) from personal experiences. And I believe him when he says he is writing from Presence most of the time. So I still encourage you to read ANE. It is less forceful than PON...and more fun.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Hand

Post by Hand » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks Sighclone - yes I agree Eckhart's words are special. I will probably get round to reading it at some point. I used to be frenetically reading everything in sight but now I'm older and 'wiser' I am trying to savour what I read.

Just out of interest - what is the difference between the original edition in 2005 and the 'updated' one this year? I read that there are 30 pages more in the new edition?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:32 am

Speaking of acquiring various works, I have over 26 hours of Tolle on my ipod.

I find listening to Tolle valuable not only for the messages he delivers and the guidance to reach awareness, but also for a perspective that differs from an ego driven way of life.

After being bombarded by personalities and advertisements for a time, I find it healthy to rest with a voice that originates from a consciousness that precedes ego.

Even his humor is based upon the assumption that ego identity is a torturous waste of time. His imitations of someone caught up in the world of forms are entertaining.

The thing is, if I didn't listen to him on my drive home, and instead chose to listen to the news over the radio, there is a good chance that my behavior could be a candidate for a subject of such an imitation, "What happened in Somalia? Oh man, this crazy world..."

Anyway, so yeah, that's a lot of time, 26 hours, and a lot of words. If (for me) all there was to it were to scribble something down like, "Be in the present", and then say, "OK I got it, here I go, ah yes, I'm there..." then maybe I'd trade that 26 hours for 2 minutes. Who knows?

My guess is that my collection will probably continue to grow.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Hand

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi randomguy

I'm glad that the audio is benefiting you, I agree listening to audio is probably more convenient. When I listened (and read the transcripts) on Oprah's webcasts, I found it helpful to listen to his voice.

The only 'problem' was that Oprah frequently 'interrupted' (although she did clarify/expand on some concepts) so I just have to be content with snippets here and there!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 pm

The only 'problem' was that Oprah frequently 'interrupted' (although she did clarify/expand on some concepts) so I just have to be content with snippets here and there!
Hi Hand,

If you read the reviews in the iTunes store, you will find that you are not alone in the too much Oprah sentiment. I haven't seen the Oprah video's yet (and to echo some opinions above, I love listening to ANE).
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho