Turning theory into practice

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
citronella49

Turning theory into practice

Post by citronella49 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:25 am

So, I've read ANE but not PON, but I think I have the basic idea of this philosophy and I like it... hence my further study and questioning on this board... but what I am having a problem with is turning theory into practice... I understand the theory of being aware and present, and I can even do it for a few seconds,,, but thats it, a few seconds, at most maybe a min... but thats REALLY tough... so I personally dont see much long term benefit because my ability to be present is so weak... Im sure I can improve (at least thats what people say) but I figure it will take AGES... and I guess having a life devoted to being present isnt a bad thing, but I want to start being truely happy and content now... I dont want to wait until I have mastered something... I just wanna flick a switch and understand this and do it... Has anyone else felt that?

Another thing... whereas I can understand how to put this into practice when dealing with my own ego/painbody I cant understand it in terms of other people's ego/painbodies... My example comes from this woman I learned about this weekend, she has had 19 kids and I guess she is pregnant again, her family had a TV show, 17 kids and counting, and I found some clips on youtube. she is EXTREMELY kind and soft and understanding with her kids... which, when you see the older kids produces kind and soft people... so I think, I haven't watched much of her, that she seems very present and the way she interacts with her kids even when they are fussy or hitting each other or even doing things to bother her, she seems to enjoy every aspect of her interaction with them... thats what I want... I want to enjoy interacting with everyone, even when they are in a bad mood or are trying to be petty and hurt me... I know Tolle says that its just their painbody thats trying to hurt me and be petty, that its not them... but it is them that is letting their painbody try to hurt me right? The same way I let my painbody hurt those I love...

I think I wrote too much again, but thanks for reading, you guys are pretty helpful, good insight, thought I dont really understand it (or rather perhaps I dont want to admit that I understand it but am just too afraid to put it into practice... I cant trust myself)
I just want to understand

Techguy

Re: Turning theory into practice

Post by Techguy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 am

citronella49 wrote:I just wanna flick a switch and understand this and do it... Has anyone else felt that?

I think I wrote too much again, but thanks for reading, you guys are pretty helpful, good insight, thought I dont really understand it (or rather perhaps I dont want to admit that I understand it but am just too afraid to put it into practice... I cant trust myself)
Citronella49. Everyone wants instant gratification. No surprises here.

It took me months to be able to stop thinking for up to 5 minutes, and just be present without thinking and labeling everything. But the best part was feeling joy strongly.

The strongest practice for me, is to do the exercise in "Practicing the Power Of Now", "Connecting with the Inner Body" page 60 / 61.
Once you begin to feel your body tingling all over, and feel it stronger and stronger, it will be like your own personal brand of Sugar. The feel of joy and elation that emanates from inside you feels so good. The joy is so strong - you will want nothing else.

That should lock it in for you. Work on that.
Last edited by Techguy on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://bestkarmayoga.com Om...Shanti, Shanti, Shanti... (peace, peace, peace)

Juno

Post by Juno » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:46 am

Hi Citronella,

If I were talking with you the first thing I would want to say is this is not a philosopy or a therory. Whe one Self realizes it's an actual experience that creates a shift in consciousness. So that is not theory or philosophy. This that you are looking for is not something you find in your mind. It's much to subtle for the mind and it is What you already are. The mind like's noise. "What" we are is not noisy. It's Stillness and Silence. If you are walking down the street "You" are walking without walking. That's a mind bender. When one self realizes it's grace, it's a gift you could say. Not that one is special and deserves a gift it's just like if someone handed you a gift for no reason. The two things that really helped me it seems is spending time sensing with my body Stillness and Silence. Those are pointing to What we really are. They are What we are. You don't have to be still to sense the stillness that's all around you and makes up your body. It's everything. Same with silence. It doesen't have to be quiet to hear the silence in and around the noise. The #2 thing is asking yourself this question and really give it time "What is it in this moment to allow everything to be?" It's not I allow. That I is the one that wants everything now! It's What is it? Spend time every day doing these things and I bet you will start going in the direction that feels intuitevly correct.

When that shift occurs you will Know how it applys to other people and Everything period, Everything. You can sense that which is the same in you in everyone and everything. That's when things get cookin as far as ego/identity/the little me starts to fall away. The whole painbody thing kind of threw me off course because I saw it as something I identified with, an illusory painbody inside the little me, it's just ego. For me Adyashanti was more direct in his teaching.

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:24 am

citronella49 wrote: I dont want to wait until I have mastered something... I just wanna flick a switch and understand this and do it... Has anyone else felt that?

There is nothing to wait for-every thing flows through the now.

If you are truly tired of the suffering you will say yes to the now. This will open doors for you, it is the key.

Sorry if this sounds simplistic-for me it is simple and yet profound.

One thing that has helped me is that I have eliminated most of my unnecessary conversation. I still converse,but now I am more measured in my words.

Happy Holidays.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:59 am

C49 -

Why do you spend time with people who want to hurt you?

Presence is available at every present moment. Grab five seconds, or ten seconds, any time. Judge not how "much" presence you experience. Remember in passing, however little or much it is, it's certainly more than before.

One of your ego stories is "poor me, the eternal victim." I can say that with authority having recently read all your posts. As long as you believe that self-image, you will remain ego-bound and you will suffer. But of course you know that, hence many scrambling apologetic posts in the forum. And, yes, many people tossing out fine "pointers." And they hear your gratitude.

The eternal victim is an unconscious collection of images and stories, probably nurtured by your family of origin in some way. You, however, are nothing of the sort. Yes, dropping the "old citronella" is scary - especially since your ego/painbody duo have been in charge for years. But the more you rest in Stillness, the more you meditate, the easier it will be to let the artificial veils drop away. It won't take forever. Own what progress you have made to Self-discovery.

What do you do to show love and respect to yourself?

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

domokato

Post by domokato » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:23 am

citronella49,

Yes, the eternal victim. I used to take on that identity every time after breaking up with a girlfriend. Very attractive, I know. (That'll win her back!)

Anyway,
citronella49 wrote:I personally dont see much long term benefit because my ability to be present is so weak...
Your ability to be present will get better with practice. These types of thoughts will only discourage you. There are completely pointless. Realize this.
Im sure I can improve (at least thats what people say) but I figure it will take AGES...
Yes, you will improve. Thinking that it will take ages will make it take ages because that belief will cause you to limit yourself whether you realize it or not. Don't believe one way or the other how long it will take you. Just practice as often as you can and you'll be a new person before you know it.
I dont want to wait until I have mastered something... I just wanna flick a switch and understand this and do it... Has anyone else felt that?
Yes. The awesome thing is that we have that switch. It's called the present moment. The ego is the only thing flicking the switch back off. But it will lose it's power eventually. :)
thats what I want...
It is the means, not the end, that is important. It is your ego that is wanting. Focus on the present moment and your future will fall into place.
~housecat