Is fear a present feeling?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
citronella49

Is fear a present feeling?

Post by citronella49 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 am

When someone feels fear is that being present?
I just want to understand

Juno

Re: Is fear a present feeling?

Post by Juno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:44 am

Fear is a resistance to what is so that would not be present. I've been in emergencys where I know I was completly present. Of course I know now that What I am is always present and that helps in those situations. For example I had to fly to get my vacation destination recently. I've been in two close calls on airplanes in Alaska. I had just listened to a satsang of Adya's and he was talking about..... resistance to fear just fed the fear energy. So the fear for me did not dissapear completly by any means, but by not resisting it I would get relief. I really think I might have flipped a little had I not been conscious of the resistance to the fear. That resistance would have built the fear up had I not been conscious enough of what I was doing. The fear was unconscious (in the past) because I was ok on this plane. There were storms and turbulance and I hated it but I was ok. I would try not to resist the reistance and sometimes I would only get relief for a minute or two but at least I got that. That's what kept me from freaking. someone else may be able to add more here. I haven't had anymore experiences of fear I can think of since the first shift happened in April.
I was just reading a thread HermitLoon put up about surrender. I have been doing a lot of that but I have not let go enough I know when it comes to physical danger which I know is not What I am but conditioning makes that a tuffy.

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

citronella49

Post by citronella49 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:41 am

It seems like it takes a lot of work to stop resisting something, and to only get a few minutes relief (which is often how it is for me too) I wonder if it is worth it to work so hard to stop resisting... or maybe it just seems like work to me...

I feel like if I stop resisting and I get a few moments of peace and the pain just comes back then whats the point? I should just learn to live with the pain... I think I am seeing this from the wrong point of view.
I just want to understand

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 am

For me I have had a lot of relief due to surrendering/not resisting in my daily life. In these more heightened experiences like flying for me I am only able to get moments of relief when I'm actually flying at least in turbulance, to this point as I said. Overall though it made the trip much more tolerable. At one point I literally felt like I was going to lose it, my magazine about flew out of my hand due to the turbulance, but because of being conscious that this "problem" is in my thoughts, we were not crashing, and consciously not resisting the fear made it where they didn't have to put me in a straight jacket. That was worth the conscious effort :oops:

Monica
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

bran

Post by bran » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 am

OH Yeah. There's nothing you can "do" about it either. Its happening and its coming from your ego/painbody. Its coming from the past and its about the future. Accepting that its happening stops fear dead in its tracks from growing on you. From there, you can deal with it as a feeling, not as a part of you. Stop the incessant stream of fearful thinking as best you can, and thing instead about what's happening NOW, not what could happen, and it will fade from you like a dying weed.

domokato

Post by domokato » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:53 am

citronella49 wrote:It seems like it takes a lot of work to stop resisting something, and to only get a few minutes relief (which is often how it is for me too) I wonder if it is worth it to work so hard to stop resisting... or maybe it just seems like work to me...

I feel like if I stop resisting and I get a few moments of peace and the pain just comes back then whats the point? I should just learn to live with the pain... I think I am seeing this from the wrong point of view.
Those few moments of peace will grow into minutes and hours and days, with practice. The point is it's who you truly are. "Learning to live with the pain" is closer to the truth than "resisting the pain". Eventually you may realize that the pain ("suffering", in Eckhart's terms) is self-created and is a choice.
~housecat

rudybear

Post by rudybear » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:33 am

Great topic...Eckhart talks about fear in a number of ways in both ANE and PON. His discussion of fear as too much focus on the future (as opposed to present moment) has been helpful for me, as has his encouragement to observe the fear rather than fight or resist it. If I can remind myself that the emotion of fear is based on my thoughts about future harms, I can usually "go back" and recognize my thoughts as such and oberve fear subside. It is similar to the "spiral of negativity" that occurs for many people who deal with depression. Recognizing a negative thought as just that, a thought, and not fighting it usually prevents it from building into something bigger and bigger.

Peace...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm

I used to live in constant fear of all kinds of things. Mostly attached to future events that weren't really based in any sort of reality. They were made up by my ego mind. But I was attached and really believed the fear was real.

Then about three years ago I went through an experience of paralyzing fear. The situation would be fearful to anyone but when it gets to the point of being paralyzing it's no longer balanced. Fear can be helpful as ET states...like keeping you from putting your hand on the hot stove. But it's fleeting and let go of immediately. When it paralyzes you and takes over your thinking... it's benefits are lost.

That experience led me to seek help and I ended up with a very aware counselor who taught me a great technique. She taught me to detach (this took some time for me) by identifying in my body where I felt the fear. This took me out of my mind...and into body awareness. Once I learned to identify what the fear 'felt' like I then treated it as a child who was scared. (that child was actually my ego) I would then talk to the fear as if it was a child. This allowed me to detach and not get lost in the fear thoughts. I would question the child as to what the fear was, decide if it was valid and then take action if necessary. I never had to take action and the more I did this the more the fear dissipated.

I rarely feel fear anymore except when it's really valid and even then, it's fleeting.

Just sharing a technique that really worked for me. I find if you don't resist it, just look at it, you're conscious. If you practice without wanting an end result it will lose it's power to over take you. Trust yourself. Don't feel bad if fear comes up. Treat it as a small child who is scared. You would probably comfort a child who was scared of something. Do the same for yourself.

Hope that helps.

Mushinsan

Post by Mushinsan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 pm

Just a suggestion, but before you get distracted with your emotions shouldn't you first stop believing everything you think? ET even says "where there is disagreement between thought and emotion, know that the thought is a lie" Emotions are just the bodies reaction to stimulus. Eliminate unneccesary stimulus and when fear does happen it will point to the real source not the manufactured one. Otherwise you will likely end up not trusting your "inner voice" and believe only what you think.

domokato

Post by domokato » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 pm

I remember Eckhart said something interesting about how emotions work and what happens after you let them go. He said that if you observe the emotion, say, anger, and you let it go, the energy from that emotion stays with you. So now instead of angry energy, you have just energy energy, and you can use it to do whatever you want, like clean your room. I experienced this myself with social anxiety. I let it go and suddenly I had all this energy that was freed up to use however I wanted, like a shot of adrenaline. It was pretty neat :)
~housecat