Introverts & Extraverts

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
luke

Introverts & Extraverts

Post by luke » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:29 am

Hiyas,

My question relates to the introvert-extrovert trait.

Sure, you can say its just another label we attach to ourselves, but the reality is there are differences between the two. These differences can easily and significantly affect our experience in life – extroverts need more external stimulation to “feel good”, while introverts need more time to re-charge to “feel good”. There are many studies that show this arise from differences in the brain, and sure, we could ignore all of this, but while we live on this earth, this will affect us – introverts in particular.

Im curious as to your thoughts on this – as well as whether you would say you’re an introvert, or an extrovert? I myself “am an introvert” and ive noticed similarities/parallels between “introverts” and this ‘new’ state of consciousness. Said to have a rich inner world, it seems to me introverts are naturally more conscious than others – and perhaps more open to Tolle’s (and other spiritual) teachings.

I recall Tolle saying he was a bit of an introvert, and id appreciate any thoughts on any of this – and how many of us are intro/extroverts?

domokato

Re: Introverts & Extraverts

Post by domokato » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:53 am

I'm an introvert, but my awakening has made me more of an extrovert, albeit I was already headed in this direction in terms of personal development.

I don't think there is anything good or bad about either one, even from a practical standpoint. It's only when you believe one is easier or better than the other that you may suffer. In the end, it's a personal choice. Make it an enlightened one! :)
~housecat

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:54 am

Hi Luke. I'd be introverted myself. I wish I knew if one side of the scale correlated to awakening more than another. However, It seems to me that one can become just as ego identified as anyone else regardless of how one falls on the scale of introvert to extrovert. It's a good question.

Maybe psychology will reach a point one day of statistically analyzing the process of awakening. Could you imagine universities teaching this? How about a department of awakened teachers teaching realization? How about majoring in it? Wow, that was a tangent.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

mmy

Post by mmy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:42 am

Hi luke,

Great topic to bring up. I have pondered the introvert/extrovert discussion being an introvert and a frequency holder. I used to dwell on this a lot generating more and more thoughts, not always productive.
luke wrote:There are many studies that show this arise from differences in the brain, and sure, we could ignore all of this, but while we live on this earth, this will affect us – introverts in particular.
It sure does and our awakened doing might look different on the surface.

While being introverted and more inward looking by nature, I notice that, in awareness, I am less overwhelmed than I used to be. If I’m alert and still I can see more easily when I need to conserve energy or feel over-stimulated. I then do what I need to do.

Ultimately, the essence of what I am is neither introverted or extroverted but the form introversion takes is quite interesting.

Mushinsan

Post by Mushinsan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Two sides of the same coin. Lets pretend there is a supreme intelligence without form that would like to experience evey possible thing in this world. How is that possible? It becomes every possible thing in the universe. The mouse and the hawk. Its just two sides of the complete whole. So an introvert is god curious about this thing called self. Extroverts are gods interested in the 1000 forms. Neither is better, but all are neccessary.

sikor

Post by sikor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 pm

carl gustav jung once said that being extrovert is not being consciouss of yourself - the definition of enlightenment itself.. for me extroverts may have either very strong ego or nearly no ego. when im aware, im extremely extroverted, when im ego i'm very introverted - what people think about what i say etc.

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 am

Extrovert, by far. Generally hate being alone/don't enjoy it or I get bored. I "feel good" by getting social points, but my 'happiness' is also tied by them. Tolle's teachings help kind of bring a balance to it, though I'd say.

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:29 am

I am quite introvert. My best friend is very extrovert. He is Canadian born Chinese whose family practices very little spirituality other than ancestral worshiping. A series of car accidents in his life started him on a quest for Higher Help. He became a Christian. He married a non-Christian and does not go to Church anymore. He does not talk a lot about spirituality; however, his faith in God is unshakable due to his conversion experience. One can sense his genuineness. Strange children are not afraid of playing with him because his friendliness is from within.

I met him long after his Church going days and became his friend.

C B

Post by C B » Sun May 19, 2019 1:07 pm

I'm introverted.
Based on your replies, you may be right that introverts are more naturally inclined to be in that dimension of consciousness.
It's good to know. It makes sense that this would be the case.
I do tend to enjoy the company of introverts.
Obviously, not all introverts live in the state of being and presence, and not
all who do are introverts. But it's helpful to know this tendency, if you want to be in an environment
with others that resonates with this frequency of being.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Another introvert here. I've been very introverted and drawn to understanding the 'truth' from a very young age as a consequence of being so interested in my inner world. So I would definitely say introverts are more likely to find themselves on a conscious path, although plenty of extroverts can and do. I wonder if it's more likely for extroverts to do so after a significant life event perhaps? Just a thought.

As you say, whilst introvert and extrovert are labels they also represent biological differences in how we respond to stimulus. Introverts get very overstimulated being around people and need space for that reason. Extroverts thrive on interaction.