Explaning my spirituality to my Mother

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Carol 053062

Explaning my spirituality to my Mother

Post by Carol 053062 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

My Mother is a devout Catholic. I grew up Catholic and left the church about 4 years ago to find my own spirituality. I have found it with Eckhart. How do I explain my feelings to my Mom who is sure I'm going to Hades for not going to church? I have tried to explain several times that I am very spiritual, my feelings about God(whom I love with all my heart) and that I am where I need to be in this life at this time. She does not except my answers, nor, do I believe she even hears them. Any suggestions?

Plorel

Re: Explaning my spirituality to my Mother

Post by Plorel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Carol

I was talking about a similar topic with my mother too some minutes ago.
As I see it the most important thing is to accept your mother as she is, even if that includes to accept her not accepting you.
Because if you don't, you do the very thing you don't like her doing. Namely, not accepting the other one's choice of living.
Maybe she'll change her opinion if she feels the radiance of peace in you that comes by living Eckhart's teachings, but an essential part of that is to stop trying to change her, I guess.

I also very much like random guys quote of Byron Katie: "Don't be spiritual, be honest".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2OnkIe ... essure.asp

best wishes
stefan
Who am I without my story?

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:51 pm

Show her Father Thomas Keating's book Open Mind Open Heart - there is a lot of similarity between that and Tolle's work but it comes at it from a Christian angle. He is a Catholic priest. Also, Anthony de Mello's work may help her understand where you are at. He too was a Catholic priest, from India, but his work is even less "structured" around Christianity than Keating's, that's why de Mello kind of riled Rome (but she doesn't have to know that :wink: ).

At a certain point we have to go beyond any religion if we are to grow spiritually, which is what is happening to you. Not seeing that is just a function of where she is on her journey. If she can't accept what you are doing you really have no choice but to accept that.

Edited to add: Welcome to the board, Carol.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Lisa27

Post by Lisa27 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Mother and spirituality… I am 45 and my mother is 72. She goes to church because everyone else does and she feels like it is right thing to do. I talk about living in the now and it helps her deal with my father’s death. My mother is so shallow in so many ways but saying that is judging her. Accepting her and everything she does is a challenge that I deal with on a daily bases. It is not personal either although I take it that way. I do need to be reminded that it is not personal and it is just where she is in life….her journey. I have my own and my guess is that you’re taking your own journey too! (First time blog! - not sure what I am doing!!!)

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Catherine Ingram is aboutt to have a live webcast 12:00 Pacific. May be to late to register. The title is called Sacredness Without Religion. She's an amazing spirtiual teacher. Search Dharma Dialogues Catherine Ingram if interested.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Hello Lisa27- welcome to the board.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Intel

Post by Intel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:33 am

kiki wrote:At a certain point we have to go beyond any religion if we are to grow spiritually, which is what is happening to you.
I disagree. I believe you can grow just as spiritually within religion as without. Those that consider themselves spiritual tend to view religion as a stumbling block, yet how does religion block you from now? How does religion block you being what you already are? How does gardening stop you from being who you are?

Like Adyashanti said, "I have never met a spiritual person".
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am

Below is a link to a video on thework.com dealing with getting understanding from mother, among other mother issues. It's a gem.

http://www.thework.com/video_mother.asp
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho