More consciousness leading to better decisions

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
innerpeace2u

More consciousness leading to better decisions

Post by innerpeace2u » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am

Hello everyone,

For those who have reached a state of practising less "thinking" and more consciousness, I am curious about your experiences. Have you actually felt a strong guided or inner body sensation that prompts you now and again to take action? My understanding is that as thinking subsides and our spiritual muscle develops, we begin to notice a higher calibre of decision making not just through our programmed thoughts, but from being in harmony with consciousness.

Although this practise makes intuitive sense to me, I have yet to reach a point where I feel an inner impulse that leads to more harmony with consciousness which would lead to more quality decision making. I am not attempting to make this into a goal (since it is creating future, rather than now) yet after about 10 months of personal practice, my personal spiritual GPS system has not been in operation.

Quality decisions would be of great help at this point in my life. I went through financial disaster, lost wife to alcohol, job, house, health. Everything was almost essentially pulled away from me. Although this "little me" has accepted what is albeit some days is still very difficult, the transformation of a new spirit taking over has yet to take place. I'm also keeping in mind that this isn't something to be rushed and will come at the right clock-time.

This is almost a year later and divorce lawyers are still in needless battle. Mine lawyer is very passive and easy going, the other is ruthless and beyond reason. So far I have accepted the "isness" in a much larger plan at play. Another part of me is wanting to come back hard and say enough is enough, I no longer wish to play a victim and take a stand to defend myself. I feel though that this may even worsen the situation as I remember the quote from Tolle "what you resist, persists".

I look forward to any responses, and thanks in advance.

MeMeMine

Re: More consciousness leading to better decisions

Post by MeMeMine » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:43 am

Have you actually felt a strong guided or inner body sensation that prompts you now and again to take action?
That's a good question. I am noticing that problem solving is easier for me when I sit quietly in meditation. Sometimes I will let the thoughts flow and solutions arise effortlessly. For example if I'm working on a project that requires certain steps to be taken and maybe they are new steps that I haven't done before. Ping.... There's the answer :) This can work for relationship issues etc...

Other times in meditation I will focus on listening to the outside noises, birds and dogs barking, traffic sounds... this works well to quite the mind - it's the opposite of letting thoughts flow. The space between thoughts during these no mind meditations is much longer than it used to be which is very nice, and this puts a smile on my face. If it's done in the morning - this can set the tone for a day of good decision making I would think.

I still, at times, see the ego puff up when someone says something that's perceived as an insult or pushing my button sort of thing. And sometimes that ego flashes faster than I can stop it... damn I did it again... well, at least I'm aware of it now. It's better than being totally unconscious :lol:

I would like to add as this divorce challenge continues for you I wouldn't hesitate to break out the samurai sword when you have to... If you're being pushed too hard or taken advantage of, then you would be wise to gently and firmly press your case (free of ego).

So much of good decision making is rooted in common sense...
Seize the moment and ride that moment into eternity. J. Matus

nodoubt

Post by nodoubt » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 am

[quote="innerpeace2u"]Hello everyone,

Quality decisions would be of great help at this point in my life. I went through financial disaster, lost wife to alcohol, job, house, health. Everything was almost essentially pulled away from me.

I think the Dalai Lama said something to the effect, they have taken my country- should I give them my mind?

Take care of the needed business and surrender to the situation. I think Ekhart has spoken about accepting the unacceptable.

Even if you end up living in a van down by the river-realize none of these forms you lost was the real you.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Eckhart also talks about a quality "no." In form, you have a responsibility to your body/mind. Would you consciously feed it poorly? If attacked on the street, would you not defend it?

If what you say is true, another observation resides in an old joke: "One lawyer will starve in a small town, but two will do quite well."

I know very little about your situation, except that some intuition has surfaced through your wordy post (forgiven) that you are not doing the right thing in your divorce proceeding. My intuition is that such is the case. Knowing little more, here is my advice: (1) Fire your attorney in the next thirty minutes. (2) Ask around and find another who will be much more assertive. (3) If the reason for your divorce is your wife's behavior, then her karmic path may well include some suffering, and you will perhaps find support in the universe in your self-defense efforts.

Be well,

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:05 am

Very helpful responses and very much appreciated! :wink:

Mememine, you mention that good decision making rests in good common sense. However, sometimes, as in my case, common sense doesn't apply in a complex situation. There are many variables to consider, and any action could result in a further spiralling down. (I realize this is all still just form based, however still very painful which I have accepted). I recall from Eckhart's readings that if one would take actions that are based a higher source, they would be more in alignment with the universe. A way to recognize if this alignment is taking place is by the inner peace that resonates deeper within oneself.

So far I think I have made the correct decision by keeping low and accepting what has happened. Although thoughts of firing my attorney and starting over were suggested, that creates a "little me" based dilemna... where there is still no guarantees the next attorney will be much better, and they charge thousands of dollars of extra fees just to keep up with the existing case. Any action I would take right now seems hasty and aggressive, but staying passive has also taken its toll. I was hoping that taking a passive path and focusing on love and acceptance that in due course the universe would align itself to move me out of this situation. Although I feel I am doing all the right things, and being grateful for the things I have, there has been no cosmic response of encouragement. (Perhaps by even stating this, I've dug myself a further hole if one believes in the "law of attraction").

NoDoubt, I hear what you are saying about the world of form and not of it impacts "the real you". That being said, if one abides by conscious practice is grateful and giving, then living in a van doesn't seem congruent with an abundant universe.

Andy, I love that joke. Thanks for sharing. For some reason, being assertive at this point doesn't appear right either. It may end up costing more in the end, and plus I start putting up resistance which seems to go counter to the Zen monk that Eckhart mentions "No self? No problem".

Thank you.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:57 am

ip2u -

I was very aggressive in my comments, ip, not something I often do (...any more!!!) But I care about you - this is a weird cyber-form of tough love. Eckhart talks about accepting things you cannot change, and attorneys is something you can change. Why keep eating cold soup? Why not put a hat on when changing the tire in the rain? How could the next attorney be worse? If you want to truly passive, just write a check for everything you have, sign over the house and car and live on a park bench. Are there children involved???

I'm being stern, ip, because you are missing an important point made by Tolle - it is not necessary to be a doormat!!! He was about to step in when people were abusing an animal, but someone got there first (Oprah webinar #6). Eckhart did not know how to stop the suffering before his shift - you have some alternatives left.

It is hard to help people who won't help themselves. I think you are getting hosed.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks so much Andy,

Your assertive comments and genuine care are very much appreciated. And fortunately, there are no children involved.

In my case, its not a simple matter of eating cold soup or defending ones self when that is what is required. I can relate to how passiveness and acceptance are not necessarily the same. That being said, whether you are passive or not, in the grand scheme of things should not matter as long as you are responsible for your "inner space" by keeping yourself conscious. Would you agree with this?

This is of course applies moreso when one is enlightened. For one who is still working on detachment and ego, I'm searching for a temporary pain relief. The spiritual practice helps to some extent, but still hoping for an inner guidance system to lead me through. Essentially, that is the key message I would like to get across. To find out if anyone has started to recognize the transform within, on everything from the words they use to attracting positive things in the world, to finally (and for me most importantly) tapping into the universal source where they recognize their actions as no longer derived from mental noise, but from pure consciousness. I'm hoping I'm making some sense.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 pm

ip -

You are making absolute sense, and did so with the same comment in your first post. But my question is do you lose that consciousness by taking action to avoid being a victim? See p. 87 ff. of ANE. No, you lose the role.

Namaste, Andy

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:30 am

Andy, fortunately, having discovered more presence in my life, the ego has shrunk to a much smaller level. Hence I don't really see myself as a "victim" in this legal mess as much as I see it just as a challenging situation. Hence I have to a great extent gone beyond feeling sorry for the "little me" and moved towards accepting more presence in my life.

Going back to using ANE as an example. Eckhart uses the horizontal dimension of time intersected by a vertical line that represents depth (consciousness). What was exciting to read is that once one becomes more present in their life, it should follow that serendipidous events start to take shape, and decisions are moved more by consious awareness. Since I have reached the point of surrendering, there has been no real change in life thus far that coincides with this. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to eventual frustration, and creeping back of the ego. I'm wondering if this still means that I am still out of alignment or that things will just unfold as it is intended?

This is why I was curious to find out if anyone was able to observe their own consciousness taking over the drivers seat from the thinking ego, and describe in the best way possible what that was like.

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:03 am

innerpeace2u wrote:Andy, fortunately, having discovered more presence in my life, the ego has shrunk to a much smaller level. Hence I don't really see myself as a "victim" in this legal mess as much as I see it just as a challenging situation. Hence I have to a great extent gone beyond feeling sorry for the "little me" and moved towards accepting more presence in my life.

Going back to using ANE as an example. Eckhart uses the horizontal dimension of time intersected by a vertical line that represents depth (consciousness). What was exciting to read is that once one becomes more present in their life, it should follow that serendipidous events start to take shape, and decisions are moved more by consious awareness. Since I have reached the point of surrendering, there has been no real change in life thus far that coincides with this. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to eventual frustration, and creeping back of the ego. I'm wondering if this still means that I am still out of alignment or that things will just unfold as it is intended?

This is why I was curious to find out if anyone was able to observe their own consciousness taking over the drivers seat from the thinking ego, and describe in the best way possible what that was like.
i'm no expert psychologist, but based on what you wrote, I'm under the impression you're still looking too much into the future; you're expecting something to happen: "Since I have reached the point of surrendering, there have been no real change in life thus far... hoping this doesn't lead to eventual frustration, and creeping back of the ego." It seems the ego has cunningly crept back in already through the back door. Watch ALL thought that comes to mind & don't identify with anything. I forgot exactly which Tolle audio program it was, but you realize from what he said about his own experiences that sometimes things don't manifest right away. For Tolle it didn't. He talked about how he was filled with joy and abundance from within; however, his outer life didn't reflect how he felt on the inside. If I remember correctly, it wasn't until many years later, like decades perhaps, that his outer life started to reflect exactly how he felt on the inside.

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:34 am

Peleke,

Thanks for reminding me on something about Eckhart's personal journey on how it took many years for his pristine "inner space" to be reflected in the outer space. Half jokingly I'll add its much easier to wait for the outer space transformation once enlightenment happens. :mrgreen:

(I acknowledge of course, if you attain enlightenment, success in the world of form is only secondary)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:42 am

I have found that doing nothing, which I believe can be as much of an action as anything, can be very productive. If one doesn't have a knee jerk response energized be an emotional reaction, reality seems to have a way of working out unexpectedly. For example, my health insurance recently went up by almost 10,000 per year--the board changed the companies payment unexpectedly. I was upset and my wife was very scared. I thought about looking for a new job. I decided to accept the situation, but also go quietly to my boss and tell her that while I did not like the situation, I liked working there and accepted the situation. A week later, out of the blue, I got a 10,000$ raise. I never even imagined that would happen and somehow felt it was connected to both my acceptance and my ability to voice my opinion calmly without freaking out and narrowing my options mentally and emotionally.
Be present, be pleasant.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:47 am

ip2 -

I did understand your original question and purposely ducked it. Sort of to feel you out on the victim role. Both pk4 and onceler have made typically wise comments which I certainly support. I also understand you know Eckhart took a long time to abide in presence, and lead a life manifested from there.

When you are enlightened, I guess, the many (all?) twists and turns of life are preceived as less important. If losing thousands of dollars by having a non-confrontational lawyer in a divorce situation is not important to you, then you probably would not have enquired here, however.

Many times synchronous things like onceler mentions have happened to me in the last year. Many. As an answer to what I perceive to be part of your larger question, perhaps the extended or shortened period preceding the settlement will be "just exactly the right amount of time" for something very fortunate to happen. We do not and cannot know. But we certainly can accept it...or not. Seems like having a good lawyer is simply a quality statement of "no, you can't have everything."

I have myself been through two divorce settlements without much strife...also no kids.

Namaste, Andy

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Andy, I believe you have a good point about the lawyer and I don't mean to imply non-action is always the way. That is a far more intense situation than my own. I just have seen that as my life has a little more space in it, there is an allowing of options and greater creativity. I don't feel quite as locked into what I usually believe will happen. This goes for the behavior of others as well; I try to give them more freedom in my mind and sometimes they suprise you.

Caveat, Ip2; I am not awakened or enlightened nor all that wise (but thanks anyway, Andy) I just wanted to give you context for my reply. Just a guy who has been struggling (I know, stop trying) to live in presence for a long time.

Hope things work out.
Be present, be pleasant.

innerpeace2u

Post by innerpeace2u » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:44 am

Onc and Andy,

You are correct in mentioning that a passive lawyer to some degree is of some importance to me. It is for this reason I hinted that I wasn't completely free of ego. I was just opening up myself for positive energy to unfold as I clear my inner space. There is talk about having it take a bit of time before the stars align in the favorable universe that we live in, but then we are faced again with the whole question of brining time (or ego) back into the equation.