Does this Book have its Facts Wrong?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Glen

Does this Book have its Facts Wrong?

Post by Glen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:23 pm

I was doing a google search for 'ego validation' in regards to an up and coming blog post and found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=QTF4oB ... #PPA221,M1

(NOTE: The book is called 'How to be a sexual god' - but that is not what I'm referring too). If you read the first paragraph under the subject of 'Ego Validation' it says this:
Buddism teaches that when you no longer have an ego, you cease to be. So as long as we are stuck with our ego, we have to make 'it' happy, to be happy.
While I commend them on their understanding of seperateness between the two, surely this isn't the message that buddhism teaches?
Personal Development / (Diminishment) - PluginID

DWBH1953

Re: Does this Book have its Facts Wrong?

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:45 pm

Glen wrote:
Buddism teaches that when you no longer have an ego, you cease to be. So as long as we are stuck with our ego, we have to make 'it' happy, to be happy.
While I commend them on their understanding of seperateness between the two, surely this isn't the message that buddhism teaches?
It very well could be Glen. There has been many Buddhist monks and also some that were leaders of there own group I forget what the title is for those it starts with a R anyways these folks think nothing of sitting down with a bottle or 2 of Jack Daniels or whatever and having fun in the sack as much as they can. This is not uncommon among Buddhism.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana

Glen

Post by Glen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:57 pm

I assumed (I guess that's the problem) that buddhist teachings lie very closely to the teachings of Tolle

I don't feel the need to keep my ego happy in order to be happy. Anyways, thanks for the response :)
Personal Development / (Diminishment) - PluginID

DWBH1953

Post by DWBH1953 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Glen wrote:I assumed (I guess that's the problem) that buddhist teachings lie very closely to the teachings of Tolle
)
I have no idea about ET personal life. Certain sects of Buddhism are very close to Advaita teachings.
Peace
Randji
Do not meditate-be!
Do not think that you are-be!
Do not think about being-you are!
Sri Ramana