Coping with others getting what you wanted & long commute

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Joseph

Coping with others getting what you wanted & long commute

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Hello,

I have been offered a job in another city. The commute is about 90 miles (1hr 30min) one-way, on good weather days and no traffic.

I am experiencing some emotional turmoil inside, because I am still in the process of being processed for the job and have not yet trained for the position. It is something I'm interested in, but am not quite sure if it's something that will work out in the end.

Regardless, my mind keeps causing stress in my body because I keep thinking "man if only they had selected me for the city I live in and love, not the one 90 miles away.." It also upsets my ego because there were people selected for the city I live in now, and I was randomly placed in another city. (Could have been any city in my state.)

Now I don't know what to do - I really want to accept the position, and I want to tell myself that I can commute 3 hours a day because I am living with a really good friend and getting a great deal on rent and my whole life is here and has been for 5 years, but it's just hard to internally accept knowing others have been offered the job in this city and I have not. I put in for a redirect request, but it is unlikely to be granted.

Please offer advice as to how I can overcome this through utilizing Eckhart's teachings.

My ego won't let go of others randomly getting offered the city I wanted, and it also can't get over the long commute I'll have if I accept the job.
"Surrender is not weakness. There is great strength and spiritual power in it. Through surrender, you will be free internally of any situation. You may then find that the situation changes without any effort on your part." - Eckhart Tolle

Juno

Re: Coping with others getting what you wanted & long commute

Post by Juno » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Trust. Put one foot in front of the other. Have you noticed that most of your thoughts are repetative and going nowhere. Everything is going to happen the way it's going to happen even if you the identity thinks otherwise. So relax. You will know what to do in each moment. It will just happen. Thoughts will happen and you may be guided by them. You will know when you actually act. Other thoughts just let them be. Don't resist. See what happens when you go with the flow. Start seeing with little things. Not resisting. You won't know what you are going to do until you actually do whatever it is you do. Become more simple and just see what Life pop's up and does. It's an adventure and much more fun and alive. Ego is dead and dull. I find when I don't resist and I let go of the steering wheel. Life steers much better. I bet it will turn out better than you ever "thought". But you've got to let go to see. Gotta get your feet wet.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Here I go, here I go....don't go!! Tolle's teachings? mmmmmm PON pp22 "the emotion will be the truth" (taken out of context of course!") Seriously you will only find the answer in Stillness.

doug

Post by doug » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 am

3 hours is a long commute not to mention the gas...

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Joseph, I "lost" my home of many years because I couldn't tolerate the irritating behaviour of a group of people who began visiting the neighbourhood. After several years of hell, my husband suggested the radical idea of moving. I didn't know it then, but I was learning to let go and trust things will work out. Also, lost my brother suddenly around that time, Dad had to go into a home and Mom's health started to nose dive. Found myself a year later with a gorgeous home, more property than I had even dreamed of and finally a little farm, something I had always wanted.

Had to let go, was very scared but did it.

Kath

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Welcome to the board, Kath - and thanks for the input.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Dying to know what Joseph did!