OCD and anxiety vs the quiet mind - any suggestions?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
hawksnest

OCD and anxiety vs the quiet mind - any suggestions?

Post by hawksnest » Sun May 07, 2006 7:55 am

For years I have attempted to meditate and work on my consciousness
in spite of the distracting "gremlins" of OCD generated negative thoughts, fears and anxiety of varying degrees. I have learned to manage with this mental pathology yet I keep hoping to find a key to silencing the disturbing intrusive thoughts (they seem deliberately designed to push the negative emotional buttons of whatever one finds repusive,obnoxious or fearful) which make my inner life miserable at times.

I know Ekhart Tolle says that he had extreme anxiety, fear etc. previous to his trasformation experience, but I haven't been able to find much written by him about these "mental health" conditions (like OCD, anxieties and fears) and how to heal them or deal with them in a conscious way.

The millions who suffer from these conditions are in a sense struggling with extreme aplifications or distortions of processes that are going on in "normal" people (just in more obvious and disturbing ways).

Any ideas, insights or info. relating to this challenge to inner peace would be appreciated.

heidi

Post by heidi » Sun May 07, 2006 2:48 pm

I'm no doctor, but there is one practice that helps everyone shed compulsive thinking. It's deep breathing. If you stop and take a few, say just three, long deep breaths, pausing at the end of each breath, it quiets the mind.
HTH
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

MatthewCromer

Post by MatthewCromer » Sun May 07, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks Heidi. That was very helpful and refreshing!
mc

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Mon May 08, 2006 12:57 am

Short and sweet, works for me also Heidi! Thanks buddy.
John

heidi

Post by heidi » Mon May 08, 2006 1:47 am

:)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Tue May 09, 2006 1:51 am

I myself am agoraphobic & am always trying to find ways to deal with the symptoms of anxiety, panic & racing thoughts. Trying to apply what i've learned during such moments is a challenge indeed.

Something that I have become very aware of recently is my own resistance. The other day I had to force myself to go to the local shop . As much as my thoughts told me I couldn't manage it ,I knew I would learn something valuable if I went , I always do.

My thoughts were racing, I felt dizzy & incredibly vulnerable but from previous experience I knew that as long as I didn't put up any kind of inner fight I would get there & back without too much trouble. No amount of therapy or reasoning with these thoughts would change the fact that this was how I felt in that moment.

As I stood in the queue in the shop I could see & feel all my resistance rising up . After all I wasn't in control here & just completely having to trust that letting myself be uncomfortable would be ok.

My rising resistance to that moment was telling me to run, leave the shop , panic , try not to think , blank it all out etc. All of this is resistance . For one brief moment I didn't do any of those things & suddenly there was no resistance. In that moment I comprehended fully that those thoughts & feelings were not the problem at all. Only the resisting of them caused the problem . Suddenly the thoughts & feelings were seen for what they were. I seemed to come back to myself instantly .

As I walked home I felt completely at ease. The same thoughts & feelings I had experienced just didn't bother me once I stopped fighting them. They were no longer true either, just themselves.

I'm sure this is something i'm going to come up against again & again but I'm hoping what I learned may help me the next time i'm in such a situation. Not sure if it's helpful to anyone else but thought I would share this just in case :)

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Wed May 10, 2006 1:11 am

Hawksnest....the very best of luck and love in dealing with your challenges. I'm sorry I haven't much else to offer you on this one as my experience of OCD is pretty limited.

Moonlight....wow.

Thank you both very much for sharing so honestly your challenges, your hopes and your selves. Well inspiring.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

summer

Post by summer » Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 am

Hi Moonlight,
In that moment I comprehended fully that those thoughts & feelings were not the problem at all. Only the resisting of them caused the problem . Suddenly the thoughts & feelings were seen for what they were. I seemed to come back to myself instantly .
I really enjoyed reading about your experience, and admire the courage it took for you to face these fears. While you experienced this "inner light" under extreme circumstances, it is so, so, so, true for all of us.

Our thoughts and feelings are never the problem. Our resistance to what is happening is what is causing our discomfort.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri May 19, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi Hawksnest,

I sympathize with your struggle with OCD. Although I don't have it myself
I have a close friend who has been diagonized with Anxiety which peaks into OCD. Heidi's recommendation about conscious breathing is a good one. But you have to be careful not to make this into an OCD ritual. Always remember that even though things might not "feel right" and you are compelled to engage in OCD rituals or behaviours, everything is "right just the way it is" so you don't have to engage in those behaviours to make it feel right. Stay centered with that and know that you are not your thinking mind and those OCD gremlins are just pretending to be you, you are beyond the reach of those gremlins, don't energize them, let them play out and see them for what they are. Let them float by like clouds against the sky.

Also, I know Howard Stern, the famous (and obnoxious to some) radio personality was on Larry King talking openly about how he overcame his OCD. You might want to look for his autobiography. I wish the best of luck.

Lazypoet

Re: OCD and anxiety vs the quiet mind - any suggestions?

Post by Lazypoet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Im interested in hearing how it is going for this person today :)

I, similarly but differently, have strange OCDs that are related to the body. For example I might scratch my scalp a lot to "fix" my skin, pick my nose, scratch my feet in the evening etc. I don't know if these are OCD's, exactly.

But I find they occur when i'm not fully present.

For example staring into a computer and watching a tv-show, my mind drifts away and there is an automatic body that might scratch the scalp, pick the nose etc.

THIS should not be diagnosed and sympathized, I think it is easily treatable with present moment practises!

For example holding up my hand in front of my eyes and staring intently to discover the different lines and paths that is on the skins surface.

Conscious walking.

Drinking a glass of water very slowly.

Dividing the grains in one packet of rice into two piles.

(The two latter inspired by performance artist Marina Abramovic)

Taking the body out of the mind.

For me an OCD is the mind trying to perfection something.

Tell me your thoughts,

I have a boyfriend and I dont want nose picking to ruin my image as a handsome don juan.

Like anything could?

Christoffer