What is life like now for you?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
tolleforum

What is life like now for you?

Post by tolleforum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:39 am

This is a question to those who are awake, but I would also love to hear from those of you who have just started out and those who feel they are someway along the journey.
I'd like to know where you feel you are and then how your day to day life has changed as a result. How do you perceive your friends, the man in the shop, your job, your future etc.
What has changed for you? How does it feel? How is it different to before?
:)
Look forward to hearing from some of you.

the key master

Re: What is life like now for you?

Post by the key master » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm

How do you perceive your friends,
---same bunch of jackasses I grew up with haha.
The same mind and body that was here before remains. Sense of humor, personality, remain intact. The relationship with thought is by far the biggest change. I can sit in silence, mind stillness that is, for hours on end if I choose to--although I rarely do. On the day to day grind mind still feels compelled to tell its stories and judge what is, to reconstruct the story of separate self. Yet even if judgmental or so called "egoic" thoughts arise, the inherent falsity of the thought is almost immediately recognized. Mind simply cannot build momentum in the egoic stream of thought to create corresponding identification. I don't get lost in thought anymore. "Velcro" thoughts, as Adyashanti calls them, no longer stick. I no longer get depressed, even when ***t hits the fan :D --which is what got me into this spirituality business in the first place.

I don't think about future much. Right now I'd say my biggest issue is balancing priorities. Sometimes I forget that I'm even here. Just because I'm content doing nothing doesn't mean that I should be doing nothing. Its ok to have fun just for the sake of having fun, indeed thats what life's all about. I can forget this sometimes, seemingly anyways, not that I actually think about it, but you know what I'm saying.

I do feel a genuine sense of compassion/love for others, particularly those who are suffering, which wasn't always there. I never liked seeing people down and out, but now there's a sense I can help others, that I should help others. So if I can, I do. Whereas previously if I felt like it, I did. That's a huge difference for me.

In terms of feeling, which is somewhat related to the new relationship with thought, I'm always aware of the present moment. This is not to say that thoughts don't pass through my awareness with some frequency throughout the day, although that frequency seems to be decreasing, but that the background of stillness remains present, which is to say, I remain present. Consequently, reacting to thoughts about situations is rare. Most daily activity seems to unfold of its own accord. I've heard people say there is no doer. That;s not what I'm saying. I'm still here doing stuff. If I dig a car out of the snow I'll be happy to tell you I dug the car out--so thats certainly a "story" about a little me. I just don't identify with the sense of doership. If someone doesn't believe I dug the car out, what do I care? This same example holds true pretty much across the board.

Not only does awareness remain aware of itself throughout my human experience, so does the realization that in essence we are all One. I know on every level of my Being that each individual, that each moment, is a unique expression of Source timelessly manifesting within the field of awareness. So there is also a steady feeling of Oneness. This is most easily noticed when mental noise is at a minimum--although especially when I'm in nature or alone in silence. I do possess the same sense when around other humans--but sometimes I do catch myself doing certain things, or acting a certain way, to directly affect how the others might perceive me. Sometimes I'm even aware of it while I'm doing it. But since ultimately I am still unable to believe thoughts, I don't identify with even these temporary egoic reconstructions of separate self. I don't judge myself. I laugh.

--Jason

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:58 pm

I am going through a depressive, painbody jag right now after many months of gradually increasing clarity. It is kind of interesting to watch it all happen; the same familiar pattern of negative thoughts and behaviors--eating too much, surly/grouchiness, etc. I know that it is time-limited and that there is a usefullness to this state. One thing is that it connects me to previous states and makes me more aware and compassionate to those around me. Another is that I can burn through pain and negative experiences in meditation.

It is what it is and I can see it for the thought/emotive construct that is and is not me.

Am I free? no. Does it matter? Not really!
Be present, be pleasant.

goldenbirdies

Post by goldenbirdies » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 pm

tolleforum wrote: I'd like to know where you feel you are and then how your day to day life has changed as a result. How do you perceive your friends, the man in the shop, your job, your future etc.
Only started reading Tolle less than a year ago, but it has had an impact.

Perhaps the most noticeable thing is feeling more relaxed in general, and with less conflict in life. Probably related to becoming more accepting, and not needing to "win"... In turn related to the Oneness...

David
David

Steal Softly through Sunshine, Steal Softly through Snow - Don Van Vliet

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 am

Loved your post Key Master. :D

There was a time when I tried to hold on to the present moment, now I enjoy just resting in the peace and clarity of presence.

WW

mmy

Post by mmy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 am

One of the biggest things for me was realizing that my life is never not now. I have no need anymore for my past story and the analysis that used to go with it. I try to keep myself out of the future so I don’t harbour the worries and fears I used to – I will be with and handle whatever arises, struggling isn’t going to make any difference. I think my shift was gradual, I sense that it all lead up to this moment yet no starting or end point – can’t explain that. All I know is the peace and contentment I feel and always sensing the underlying stillness no matter what arises.

I stopped searching and seeking and I found what was there. No words to describe how grateful I am for that. I always connected with trees, the ocean, birds, and nature in general. Now though, it just seems to smile back at me even more.

I recognize more quickly when I’m impatient, egoic, resisting, or trying to understand something. My pain body doesn’t visit as often, thankfully, but she’s not gone and that’s ok.

I don’t feel the need to be understood by others. The essence of what we are speaks for itself. Silence has always spoken more to me than words.

Now, a lot of the time, I can joyfully say “I am out of my mind”.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:18 am

tolleforum wrote:This is a question to those who are awake, but I would also love to hear from those of you who have just started out and those who feel they are someway along the journey.
I'd like to know where you feel you are and then how your day to day life has changed as a result. How do you perceive your friends, the man in the shop, your job, your future etc.
The perceptions are the same...the commentary of the mind is absent...also absent is clinging or repelling what is, was, and will be.
A generally quiet mind and constant peace & contentment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

moonmissy

Post by moonmissy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:44 am

Sometimes I get velcro thoughts, but it arises and fall. The peace and present is always there.

Sometimes I still have the sense identity, feeling my body and knowing there is another. At other times, the doer is gone, there is no other.
Before and after there exist not one
Why attachments?

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:55 pm

An experience of Peace beyond words combined with great curiosity and rudderless, spontaneous doing.
Peace

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

It seems that awakening liberates the mind only, and not the body.
After awakening, the mind escapes from the dream/illusion of self-created identity. Mental suffering ceases.
However, the body does not escape the dream of form (cause and effect) - at least not until "complete" physical death. Even after death, the body is still in the world of form, in one way or another. If the body is in a dream, it seems to be different than the mind's dream.
We are not our mind, and we are not our body. However, only the mind seems to escape from illusion after dis-identification.
As WW quoted in another post, after awakening the body still "carries water and chops wood" - but it's not a problem anymore, since the mind is "liberated".
I guess this could be another way of seeing that the body/individual does not actually awaken. Instead, the ego disappears and the body becomes sort of irrelevant.
CAVEAT: The text above is based on what I read from books/posts and felt suitable for me.
I think the description given by HermitLoon is the best one!

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Glycine wrote:It seems that awakening liberates the mind only, and not the body.
<snip>
We are not our mind, and we are not our body. However, only the mind seems to escape from illusion after dis-identification.
Actually, it is closer to say that there is a liberation from the mind and body, which has become a trap for most people as most identify with the mind or the body or both (and we are not the body or mind).

Neither the mind or body is liberated...it is liberation from the mind and body.
Neither the mind or body escapes from illusion...they are the illusion.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Yes Eric - and it might be even closer to say that there is a liberation from attachment to the illusion -
and that is one ("my") definition of "freedom".
Peace

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 pm

eputkonen wrote:Neither the mind or body is liberated...it is liberation from the mind and body.
Neither the mind or body escapes from illusion...they are the illusion.
HermitLoon wrote:Yes Eric - and it might be even closer to say that there is a liberation from attachment to the illusion -
and that is one ("my") definition of "freedom".
Hi Eric and HermitLoon! I understand what you're saying and I agree.
However, it seems to me that there is a difference between the effect of awakening on mind versus body.
All awakened individuals mention the end of mental suffering, the end of preoccupation with past and future. Their mind does not react to thoughts and other people/minds as it did before awakening - and the change is quite evident to other people around them. This is why I'm saying that the mind is liberated, at least partially. The mind is still in the world of form, but is not worried anymore. On the other hand, the body continues to react to the physical environment pretty much the same way!

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Glycine wrote:Their mind does not react to thoughts and other people/minds as it did before awakening
Here, it was seen that the "individual" and the mind were really the same thing. Neither exists. Now there is a response to life rather than a reaction to it. The response is usually fresh and not deliberated.
Glycine wrote: On the other hand, the body continues to react to the physical environment pretty much the same way!
Actually, recently, there is a noticing that the body seems to function more effiecently without the interference of thought. The senses are more acute and an "Aliveness" that wasn't noticed before is there.

Fidelma

Post by Fidelma » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 am

The best way that Tolle's writings have changed my life is that I don't see people as potential threats anymore. I appreciate their beauty and innocence so much more (especially children!) and I feel sorrow when I see that some of them are hostile/confused/stressed/etc.

I used to react defensively and suspiciously of others. Now, I feel that I react the way an understanding, patient, loving grandparent might react. I've even changed my career to teaching because I am compelled to use my skills to help where I can. I've "awakened to my Life's purpose"!

I haven't lost my sense of humor or my indignation at the injustices in life. I think I still have these last two emotions because they balance each other and allow me to work for positive change. I can be a duck and flap away my negativity, as Tolle likes to say, but I can't stay complacent and accepting of ALL things negative when I know my efforts can be applied to improving Life for myself and others.

My life is still in the process of change because of Tolle's work, but it is definitely becoming easier to see things more clearly with time, instead of through the delusional, murky lens I used to look through.

I don't live in fear any more, and I am very grateful to Tolle for that.