constantly aware

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
adkins42

constantly aware

Post by adkins42 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi y`all,

where i am:

I am able to get rid of thouhgts i dont like when they come up by being totally conscious, and also to not judge my emotions (most at the time).

What i need:

When i am with people talking or for example doing sports, it happens that bad thoughts come up, sometimes more sometimes less. So i think i need to practice in being constantly aware. I decided to spend some more time on myself, trying to make any action slowly and as aware as possible.

Does anyone have any advices i could work with to improve myself?

PS: I also think thats what i need to be able to rest longer in myself in meditation.

Onceler

Re: constantly aware

Post by Onceler » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 pm

What do you mean by bad thoughts?

I don't think thoughts are good or bad...it is our connection to them, our association with them that can cause problems. Are your thoughts who you are? Do they define you, or are you something else? If you move, shift your perspective, to awareness you can observe your thoughts from a neutral vantage point....then ask, are your thoughts you (good or bad)?

It seems most people don't get rid of their thoughts, exterminate them, just learn to let them pass by like a parade.
Be present, be pleasant.

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Well, to be honest: i guess i am able to get rid of thoughts by awareness, be sometimes what i really am, but get fooled by my ego sometimes as well.

Maybe i should just try to spend more time with myelf, to get to know me better - getting rid of thought-association ;)

thx

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:40 pm

i`m sorry, i think i used the wrong word. "Getting rid of thoughts by being present"

i think i need to live more in the presence than just be present whenever i dont like the thought.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:10 am

i think i need to live more in the presence than just be present whenever i dont like the thought.
This is important, to live consciously in the presence that is always here. While resting/living/being consciously present thoughts have a way of extinguishing themselves. Use ordinary moments to refamiliarize yourself with this natural state, to become more firmly established in it in a conscious way so that when more challenging situations arise there is that familiar state to fall back into.

Let go of any ideas that "I have to remain present" - it's an unnecessary burden that the imaginary ego attaches itself to. Instead, just feel the sense of existence that is always radiating out of your form - the feeling/knowing-ness of that radiance of "am-ness" is presence. You don't have to go anywhere or "do" anything - just feel what's already here, just notice it. Then let what have been called "bad thoughts" slide right through that sense of "am-ness"/existence, that awareness, without resistance. Everything else just comes and goes in That (the authentic you) - watch all of it without trying to do anything with what is seen.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Juno

Post by Juno » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:13 am

"This" is not a me improvement. "This" that's right here, right now, alive, is "seen"/sesned as what you and everything already is, always was and always will be. Therefor is the elimination of the me, because there isn't two. There isn't you and being there is only Being/aliveness. What everything is, is aliveness. There is only "this aliveness". You can't find it in words. It is always right here right now. When the me is trying to improve itself it will be tied in knots. That's the classic way of dealing with the ego. To try and improve it. That's a form of suffering, nothing is ever good enough for the me. Let the me take a back seat for a while and sense with your bodystillness and silence. Really. Keep it simple, exactly what an ego doesen't want to do. What is looking is already here! But this illusory me that's made up in the mind want's it more complicated than that. The me says here? That's boring. It's avoiding what is, this aliveness that's always here, because once the truth is seen anything that's illusory including the me, will be seen for what it is illusory.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:30 am

Thank you both.

I think i thought too much about what i want/need to do.

I`m gonna hurry now to relax *jokingly*

Have a good ......day!!!

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:08 pm

hi,

was working fine yesterday, i was only feeling into my body, noticing everythin, letting any thought passing by concentrating more on my body than on thoughts.

but been running back and forth today. I know i just need to get more familiar with this present state and dont need to achieve something, but the ego tries to fool me by sayin "where do u wanna go" the more i try to rest in myself. It is hard to get back into presence when u got foold already.

Juno

Post by Juno » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:10 pm

i was only feeling into my body, noticing everythin, letting any thought passing by concentrating more on my body than on thoughts.
There is no "i" to feel the body. There are just feelings. The i is illusory. There is no i noticing everything. There is just noticing. There is no i concentrating. There is just concentrating. You can not understand this. There is no you to understand. It can only be sensed with the body. Sense what's going on right here right now! You are not doing the sensing there is just sensing. I am not doing the typing there is just typing. There is just "This" aliveness happening.
I know i just need to get more familiar with this present state
You can't get familar with the present state because there is no you. There is just "This" right here right now. What ever is happening is just what's happening. It's the mind that's seeking and it's going to seek. What "You" are is beyond the mind. What "You" are is this Aliveness that's right here right now that can only be sensed. Don't get caught on words like aliveness. It's a pointer to the felt sense. It can't be thought. Your thoughts about ego are just what's happening. They are going to happen. But what you are is beyond thought's. "This" is only found right here because it's alive. Aliveness can't find be found in thoughts. It can only be sensed right here right now with the body.
by thinking of something you create an entity and by thinking of nothing you create another. Let such erroneous thinking perish utterly, and then nothing will remain for you to go seeking!
Huang Po

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:37 pm

so what is awareness? the knowing that being present is all there is? Is awareness knowing what u are?

Do "i" get aware by being present for a long time? will it be some short moment after a certain time of being present?

(I use the "i" to describe) If "i" am feeling, its for me like jumping through my body, once i am in my feet, then in my hand, on my heart, on a thought,......I mean i cannot experience more than that, can i? so its being, but what is being aware?

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 pm

is it really good to say: I`m now taking time for myself to be present, just lay,sit,eat, being present and nothing else? #What if a thought comes up like "would be nice to have a walk outside" should i let this thought slide through my presence, dont give much attention to it, because i still not know if that would be a decision of the "being" itself?

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:15 am

Use ordinary moments to refamiliarize yourself with this natural state, to become more firmly established in it in a conscious way so that when more challenging situations arise there is that familiar state to fall back into.
That made sense to me.

But:

"refamiliarize yourself"

If there is no "yourself" ......

What needs to "fall back into" if there is no something?

Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 am

Awareness is a pointer to our true nature which can not be put in a word. I use to try to be "constantly aware" and it actually kept the mind spinning. The teachings of Adya's True Meditation and Eckhart's sensing Stillness are very helpful alternatives to trying to be constantly aware.

Pointers like sensing stillness, being in the now, allowing, are all relaxing the mind so it will get out of the way. What we are can't be experienced as words, thoughts, concepts, ideas. Words and concepts blind us.

Being or God or the Tao is the one and only thing being aware of itself and you are it.
Huang Po

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:38 am

adkins42, you are making it much more complicated than necessary, but don't fret about that because most do. What "you" are is utter simplicity; what you are cannot be further reduced. Now just stop a moment and pay attention to what's happening - notice what is going on that moves away from the simplicity of being. Perhaps attention/awareness goes to a question in the mind that "must" be answered; perhaps attention/awareness goes to a feeling/emotion that "must" be gotten rid of or held on to; perhaps attention/awareness has gone to a thought that tells you "this can't be it"; perhaps attention/awareness has gone to a thought that hopes for something different and looks to the future to get it.

It could be anything, but whatever it is become alert to its arising and when you see something has come up then just relax and think to yourself, "No, it isn't necessary to have that question answered"; or "No, it isn't necessary to get rid of this thought or emotion"; or "No, it is necessary to ... (whatever) and then just "let go". Let go of whatever has drawn attention into the complexity of mind/thinking and just relax down into the sense of just being here; relax down into the sense of existence; relax into the sense of life flowing through you. What is found when that happens is that there is a kind of "remembering" that wordlessly/thoughtlessly realizes this idea: Oh, yes! Just this, this simplicity, this is what I am - this is what has been called "Self-realization".

It's a realization, not a thought, not a conclusion drawn by the mind. What you are, awareness, becomes self-evident. This is what I am referring to when saying things like "refamiliarize yourself". There has been a kind of "forgetting" of what you are; there has been a loss of "familiarity" with your essential nature because attention has strayed away from the simplicity of being and onto the complexity of mind and form, but now you are "remembering" again, and becoming familiar with it once more when attention returns to awareness/being/presence instead of being fixated on mind and form. But these are just more words, just more pointers to the nonconceptual sense of being, awareness itself. Unfortunately, we are left with words in describing "it" and all words are concepts, so it isn't surprising that people get hung up on them and miss entirely the simple pure awareness in which those words arise. Because "you" are simple (awareness) let attention return to that simplicity whenever you have found yourself caught up in something complex - the mind.

The sense of existence within the body can act like a sort of "beacon" for this, like a lighthouse that shines a light through the fog, but in this case the "fog" is the fog of form. Let your body become the "homing device" that leads you back into the sense of awareness that is always present. Discovering this awareness is in your hands and nobody else's, but it is nothing complicated and is not hiding anywhere at all.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

adkins42

Post by adkins42 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:51 am

I think i`m just gonna live on like i have been and everytime a thought comes that wants an answer i rest in the moment. If i got fooled i will just rest in presence as long as i want and any thought that reminds me to that situation will be slided through my presence because it is the past, its not real.

The more i try to take time to be present the worse it gets.