Where is Morpheus' red pill?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
karmarider

Where is Morpheus' red pill?

Post by karmarider » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Once we have the insight that we are not the mind, why don't we awaken instantly?

The awakened state, it seems to me, is more natural to us, and there is always a pull towards it. So what gives? Why isn't it instant?

I've asked this of many, and the answers have been: "conditioned reflexes", "it takes surrender", "it takes time and space because the mind/body are in time and space." All of these make sense, but the question still remains: where is the red pill?

Onceler

Re: Where is Morpheus' red pill?

Post by Onceler » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Or as ET stated, have you found the "off" switch to your mind?
Be present, be pleasant.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm

One reasonable answer I did run into is contained in a succinct quotation by Ramana Mahirishi: “You impose limits to your true nature of infinite being, then, you get displeased to be only a limited creature, then you begin spiritual practices to transcend these non-existing limits. But if your practice itself implies the existence of these limits, how could they allow you transcend them?”

letitgo

Post by letitgo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:58 pm

It may be more of a question of intent. Most of us have no idea of the power of our own thought processes, and especially the energy that we carry relating to those thoughts. If we don’t have a spontaneous awakening like, you-know-who, then it takes a constant awareness of our own personal thought processes - without judgment - to begin to create a new intention towards that place where there is a constant peace.

This has been “constantly” in my mind and heart for the past few years and this is the simplest way I can put an answer to a very complicated question… or maybe it is that simple…

Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

karmarider - again, nice to have you join us.

You say:
Once we have the insight that we are not the mind, why don't we awaken instantly?

The awakened state, it seems to me, is more natural to us, and there is always a pull towards it. So what gives? Why isn't it instant?
It is necessary to discover what we are, experientially, not what we aren't. Ramana and kiki remind us to ask "Who am I?" The great irony of this exercise is that it uses the mind as a thorn to remove the thorn of the ego. What remains is who we are...pure awareness. But that statement is not enough. If I (or anyone) say "You are Brahmin," why don't you just awaken as you read that sentence? Same deal...a non-mental (or as the Buddhists say "Big Mind") experience is necessary. For Gary Weber it happened in the middle of a yoga pose, it was a three-stage event for Adyshanti, it was a blow-out cataclysmic shift for Eckhart (oddly linked to his parsing a simple sentence: "I can't live with myself.") For most it takes time and some spiritual practice usually defined as a form of meditation. Eventually the mind gets quiet enough that we cease to identify with it entirely. Our personality remains...the rest is discarded.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 am

Andy, thanks for the welcome.

I understand and agree with what you say. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of lynchpin that makes the final surrender possible. Maybe a phsiological change? You pointed how some others have awakened, and everyone's awakening is different. But I wonder it there is a common thing that happens. Arjuna Ardagh in the piece you pointed out said that the obstacle is "accumulated concepts" which makes sense. But it's not just the dropping of accumulated concepts; it's the permanent dropping of concepts that seems to make us ripe. I'm just wandering here, but I wonder what the red pill is.

arel

Post by arel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm

This is an entertaining question. I think the "red pill" would pull the plug on our brain center for memory. Without that I'm guessing imagination would be impossible as well. So what remains is the awareness of the present moment. However, I wander if in that state, awareness would be curious enough to become aware of itself. I think it would take the "blue pill" (or whatever it is) to get our mind back to have it do that :) To see the difference.

You know what, I think in the future people will come up with those kind of pills! ha
What I say is only my viewpoint.