Family doesn't like my spirituality...

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
lucy

Re: Family doesn't like my spirituality...

Post by lucy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 am

sevenworlds wrote:We can keep our structure of language but we don't need to keep using the same terms to describe this.

We cannot describe this. It is what we are, so what does it matter what term we use. Jesus used parables, ET uses Being.
sevenworlds wrote:It either dawns on you or it doesn't
Exactly.

sevenworlds

Post by sevenworlds » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:49 am

lucy wrote:It is what we are, so what does it matter what term we use.
It doesn't matter, but I find it interesting that when you stick a teacher like UG Krishnamurti in front of those who claim they are hearing Tolle and other more tradition-bound teachers often they are repelled. They seem to see a conflict there. His level of notoriety in relation to his contemporaries clearly indicates this. Pretty language and expression is much more appealing to the mind so in that sense you could say it matters.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 am

lsevenworlds wrote:It doesn't matter, but I find it interesting that when you stick a teacher like UG Krishnamurti in front of those who claim they are hearing Tolle and other more tradition-bound teachers often they are repelled. They seem to see a conflict there. His level of notoriety in relation to his contemporaries clearly indicates this. Pretty language and expression is much more appealing to the mind so in that sense you could say it matters.
I know what you are saying 7worlds but in your own word:
sevenworlds wrote:It is not on the level of language that we 'get it'. It either dawns on you or it doesn't.
Perhaps it is not yet time for them to "get it", they are exactly where they should be. Remember we are already home, Being is not ready to give up the game yet in so called others.

mmy

Post by mmy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:55 am

sevenworlds wrote:Why must we call it 'love'? That word is so overly familiar to the mind
I think so too and what about the word “family”? Another very familiar word to the mind and what constitutes “family”?, can mean different things to different people as well. It conjures up all kinds of images and ideas. I use the word as little as possible because it doesn’t really hold any meaning for me.
sevenworlds wrote:It made me see clearly what I'd suspected before - family is an illusion. If you get on with your family, great, but many of us stick with our families because we feel obliged to. It's all an idea programmed into us the moment we give a name - mum, aunt, brother, etc - and wrap an image around it.
I really resonate with that sevenworlds and thank you for expressing it.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:38 am

sevenworlds wrote: It made me see clearly what I'd suspected before - family is an illusion. If you get on with your family, great, but many of us stick with our families because we feel obliged to. It's all an idea programmed into us the moment we give a name - mum, aunt, brother, etc - and wrap an image around it.
I agree. Everytime we apparently break off a piece of reality and label it, we are in the world of illusion. My point is I don't think it matters what label we put on the illusion, it's still illusion and apparent separation has taken place and suffering is not too far behind. The only way to stop this is to see that it is all the same substance, but we have no control over how to see this. Not believing thoughts is the first step, but to get to the place where this is known beyond doubt seems to take time.

sevenworlds

Post by sevenworlds » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 pm

lucy wrote:Perhaps it is not yet time for them to "get it", they are exactly where they should be. Remember we are already home, Being is not ready to give up the game yet in so called others.
Yes, but that is in operation both ways. I am also where I should be, playing my part, which gives me the right to point this out. It is one movement. I am like the running water of a stream. It runs freely and if it hits a blockage, it simply finds a new course to express itself without complaint. Let me stress again, I am not saying it is wrong or that those people are somehow inferior. How can these things be brought to light if everyone is patting each other on the back talking of love and saying "you're exactly where you should be"?
mmy wrote:I think so too and what about the word “family”? Another very familiar word to the mind and what constitutes “family”?, can mean different things to different people as well. It conjures up all kinds of images and ideas. I use the word as little as possible because it doesn’t really hold any meaning for me.
Yes, exactly. Even Jesus was trying to point this out, telling us our enemies were the ones in our own household. To me, if we're going to use the word 'family', it is nothing to do with biology and genes, but an energetic thing. This happens in an effortless way because it can't be denied. Those around you at this time are your 'family', whoever they are. That might stay the same for the period you spend in this body or it may change many times.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:04 pm

It is true that some words are more emotionally charged than others and have acquired baggage along the way, but words and language are largely "mind" stuff. The love that you are is not mind stuff, and can be felt directly by the heart. When the mind settles down, the heart is free to feel the purity of what the word is pointing to.

sevenworlds

Post by sevenworlds » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:50 pm

They are but you can't deny they play their part. From what I am seeing and hearing in my time here, there seems little doubt a different choice of words is bringing stuff to light that might otherwise have been left under the surface.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:04 pm

sevenworlds wrote:They are but you can't deny they play their part. From what I am seeing and hearing in my time here, there seems little doubt a different choice of words is bringing stuff to light that might otherwise have been left under the surface.
Yes they definitely play their part and that is why I pointed out in an earlier post that ET's dualistic language can sometimes be a hinderance. But no matter how neutral the word, it is still a only a sign post that has to be gone beyond.

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:09 pm

had lunch with my Pops today and it reminded me of this thread. He told me something Grandma said before her passing. She said she still felt young, but when she looked in the mirror she was an old lady. I told Pops about something I saw Tolle talk about in a video.. about how there's something that never changes in anyone from birth to death, one's true essence. I said that perhaps Grandma got in touch with that prior to her passing. My dad looked at me strangely and cut the conversation off. I'm never bringing up these topics again unless he wants to talk about it.