The Am I doing it right? Thread

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
kokujindayo

The Am I doing it right? Thread

Post by kokujindayo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:35 am

Hey, guys I'll keep it short (haha, it ended up being long).

So I picked up Eck's PON book about a year ago. Went through it, really liked it as it kind offered a 'fix all solution' to lifes drama. I'm a person, with an ego and body pain so of course I thought it was an attractive idea. I flirted it with it a bit, even felt what I thought was presence a couple times, but eventually due to never reaching happy nirvanna land went back to normal life.

Well recently I went back to the book, and I would again say I felt what I thought was presence, perhaps even more so this second round, but now I am once again on the roller coaster ride back down (it comes and goes, eh!), and I'm having one major road block:

SKEPTICISM! I ask myself all the time "Is this feeling real? What am I feeling?? Is that just not the feeling of holding my breath, or breathing slower? Isn't just my muscles contracting?. Are we all just coping and fooling ourselves like fools like any other religion?

I REALLY like Eck's ideas, A part of me REALLY feels it's real, it makes sense and it is the truth in the world, but this skepticism that it's all fake/etc. is really keeping me from continuing on devoted . Perhaps I just haven't felt enough presence *(so far it's a warm feeling in my chest and tummy, once or twice in the lower back I believe)* but even then I've just been rationalizing what I felt with skepticism. :?

So, if there are some posters who basically have went through the same thing, can acknowledge, that yes, presence is real, they do feel it, and I'm just 'not quite there yet' or whatever, let me know...so I can basically continue where I left off.

I hope this all makes sense. I kinda wanna just know "God is real and I have seen him" (in the power of presence/now point of view) so I can continue on without questioning it.

And I guess it's impossible to confirm if what I do feel is presence so we'll just skip that.

OnthePath

Re: The Am I doing it right? Thread

Post by OnthePath » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:32 pm

kokujindayo wrote:due to never reaching happy nirvanna

Hi Kokujindayo and welcome to the forum :|

Don't you think that you're so attached to reach the higher state that you 're unable to feel simple presence?

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:32 am

OnthePath wrote:
kokujindayo wrote:due to never reaching happy nirvanna

Hi Kokujindayo and welcome to the forum :|

Don't you think that you're so attached to reach the higher state that you 're unable to feel simple presence?

The upper part is truthness with a litlte hyperbole in it, but ya I'm sure I'm also caught in the trap of "wanting it"/making it a future goal like a lot of people are.

BUT WHAT I WANT FROM THIS THREAD IS NOT THAT.

Someone dismantle my skepticism!

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 am

Hey kokujindayo

Your mind cant know anything. All skeptisicm in therefore corrupt in itself.

That leaves you with a very simple choice. Do you want peace or not? It doesnt get any more complicated.
If you choose peace, you will also choose a life style which gives you peace (e.g. living in the present).
That is the ultimate choice of every moment, your entire life.
Who am I without my story?

Lisa27

Post by Lisa27 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:26 pm

I have been studying and rereading PON for a year too. I find that my skepticism might be the pain body dragging me out of the present. That part of you that wants the past and wants to rerun it over and over.... When I find myself there I try to listen to my thoughts and then I find my thoughts stop and I am back in the now. I am trying to listen with my whole body and be where I am. If something comes up that will not go away.......I try to deal with the feelings that I feel..... Then try to release it....not dealing with the specific problem and not bringing up the "poor me" stories on why it is so hard for me....those things in the past that come up...... I am trying to deal with just what I feel.

All of this ,the way I see it ,is a little multitasking......feeling the aliveness and still doing what you have to do while being in the now......I certainly haven't mastered it yet......and I am not the expert so keep that in mind...

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:47 pm

kokujindayo wrote:BUT WHAT I WANT FROM THIS THREAD IS NOT THAT.

Someone dismantle my skepticism!
Not going to happen. This is the path of direct, personal experience...not faith and belief in what others say.

There is nothing I or anyone here can say that should dismantle your skepticism...unless you are looking for a belief system; and if that is the case, just believe now and let go of the skepticism.

You must find your own answers. Play with what you are reading about...experience it for yourself.

Skepticism is actually a good thing...although a purely neutral stance of neither believing or disbelieving would be better.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Well put Eric! ( no pun intended!) And "yes" it IS real but for some people like myself very very RARE, but a truely wonderful thing, dont go seeking it ... just wait....it will come. To try and reason this out!!!!....I think what happens is one digests things then one just forgets everything....and what happens is it comes from the subconscious. :?

sjshhjss

Post by sjshhjss » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

I am facing the same situation as well.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:39 am

Ok - take your critical mind, turn it onto your experience, or even the memory of your experience of "presence." Dissect it and analyze it and deeply and critically evaluate it. Fully and exhaustively deconstruct it. If it comes up short, which of your experiences in life pass that test? Are you sure you enjoyed that song? Do you really love your mother? Was second grade all that bad? etc.

My point is that our little critical thinking engine can find fault with anything - can cast doubt on any experience. Especially one that threatens the big ghost, the ego.

The experience of the present moment is outside of time and outside of mind, and........very natural!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

domokato

Post by domokato » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:37 am

Yes, skepticism is healthy. If you want, you could just take the practical messages from Eckhart and ignore the spiritual ones. Presence is one of those practical ones, and it's real :)
~housecat