What does presence feel like?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
kokujindayo

What does presence feel like?

Post by kokujindayo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 am

-Pretty simple. What does it feel like to you? Where do you feel it? What happens to your body, your thoughts, etc.

I feel not only is it interesting to just read about and perhaps open your eyes to a few new things, but it could help me and others to recognize it as it happens.

Go~

Hand

Re: What does presence feel like?

Post by Hand » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am

When you are not thinking.......
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:33 pm

It's a shift in perspective from the experiential engagement and identification with thoughts imaginings and feelings, to the clear effortless awareness of being here and now. It is the cognizance that all conditions perceived are just content within the essential nature of unfettered awareness. It is a sense of being without the encomberance of assumed identity.

I'll probably change my mind about this later :wink:

WW

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:37 pm

We've all read the definition of it, but what do you FEEL.

I don't know how else to put it. ?? :?

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:53 pm

kokujindayo wrote:We've all read the definition of it, but what do you FEEL.

I don't know how else to put it. ?? :?
Clarity. Freedom. Intimacy. Connected. Natural.

WW

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 am

*sigh* no un-vague answers so far. Ah, well. I think there was a really good description of some stuff in the "My Awakenings.." thread by a female poster - forget the name. That was fun to read if anyone already knows what I'm talking about.

-does your body feel warmer?
- do you feel some sort of surge in your belly? your arms? your chest?
-do you feel heavy? light?

etc. things that anyone can read and make direct sense of. "Clarity" though a pretty word, doesn't really help lol.

Hand

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 am

What does it feel like to you?
why can't people who ask questions actually tell us their experience instead of just throwing a question to everyone else

We've all been present - even for a split second. I don't think when you are present you are thinking what your body is doing etc you are just HERE

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:09 am

I can't answer 'cuz I'm not so sure I feel all that qualified. I think it's something that is describable, though. Based on my experiences I could def. say more than "clarity," or something like that, though. I could tell ya and what I feel, but like I said, not sure I'm all that qualified so I wanted to hear from someone with more experience than I. If they say similar things, then maybe I can re-confirm some stuff.

Hand

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:07 pm

We are all 'qualified' as we all have personal experiences, obviously some have more experience than others but all our experiences are valid.

So, your experiences and ideas of what being present is worthy of expression, no matter if you are not sure if you are 'right'.

For me, being present is when i am not thinking, when I am 'at one' with what i am looking at, there is a sense of 'peace', it 'takes over' for example looking at a sunset.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm

kokujindayo wrote: "Clarity" though a pretty word, doesn't really help lol.
It probably doesn't help to one seeking mental pathways to experiential realities. The point is to experience presence directly, outside the concepts of mind. Thinking and analysis is not the path to experience presence - silence is. Look, listen, feel, but don't think, don't label, don't compare or decide. Sit with a sense of open curiosity without specifics. In this mental stillness, sense your own being. Clarity grows in experience without thought or filters. You can't figure this out in mind as mind takes you away from the presence you seek into more words and analysis.

Taste an orange without calling it tart. Touch the desk in front of you to feel its texture while giving no thought to discription. Feel the sense of awareness with a quiet mind. All of these things are portals to a general sense of presence. And in presence clarity of being returns. Warmth and tingley sensations, while enjoyable and sometimes indicative of alignment, can be just as distracting as any other sensations if one is going to analyze them and seek them out as proof of awakening. They are spontaneous, not created.

The book "Stillness Speaks" is well titled. Clarity thrives and grows in stillness. It's the fertile ground from which insight flows. And while the word "clarity" is no more than a finger pointing to the moon, the reality to which it points is beautiful indeed. Mind is a valuable servant, but a blind master. It may put words to insight, but it can never be its source. Take a moment, be still..., and know the essence of that pretty word.

WW

kokujindayo

Post by kokujindayo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:27 am

Warmth and tingley sensations, while enjoyable and sometimes indicative of alignment, can be just as distracting as any other sensations if one is going to analyze them and seek them out as proof of awakening. They are spontaneous, not created.
Hmmmm. Interesting point. Hard to throw away my attatchment to those 'warm and tingly feelings' - especially as indicators of "hey! I'm doing this right! yay for me," but I suppose I must. Though I'm curious what makes you say they are spontaneous and not created. I'd almost they are willfully created in that the times I take some time off and choose to listen to my body, I start to feel them.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 am

koku -

All anyone can do in an internet forum is type in words that have meaning to them. If I were to say "awake," "on edge," very calm," even "warm and tingly," would that be the right answer to your question? No one can ever know how it will feel for you because, in form, they cannot BE you. So we are left with words or pointers.

If you were totally present as your car approached a cliff, it might feel very different than if you were totally present deep in meditation. Sorry, I just don't think you can get a satisfactory answer to this one.

Except to say when your are there, you will know it, unequivocally.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

peleke4

Post by peleke4 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:00 am

effortless

zulubear

Post by zulubear » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Dear kokujindayo,

Been asking for word patterns on what does Presence feel like?

Better yet In awareness of awareness In awareness of awareness there is indeed observable sensation in the form.

Are you asking the physical sensation of this?

If so then maybe this will point for you...idunno...it sure does for me in the relationship Presence engages within body.
Seems the body has an awareness where the mind has not.
Feels warm in the cells as they register the Presence of Peace, like a liquid honey filling the space of relaxation, almost as if the body
is a container for flowing, emanating, radiance of Consciousness of a photon of Love beyond the form of words.

The eyes feel free from focus and yet peripherally attuned to 'see' beyond the teachings of their conditioned seeability.
Did you know there are muscles in the ears just waiting to hold nothing...the relaxation of the form feels so relaxed and empty yet full
of an energy that holds up the form... In the space bewteen floating and not floating,
drop into that and there are feelings the mind cannot yet register.
Maybe you can help me out on this one.

As if in the heart area there is an eye of it's own now seeing out through the 'known' physical eyes.

Breathing feels like it has it's own dance and
as the breath drops 'In, it breathes the entire body into and through all mentalized tensions.

As the mind tempts to bring it's focus, "hey what just happened to 'my' aching hip joint?"
The very next 'breath' melts the tensions of the mind, feels like the warm liquid honey is melting thought patterns into a pool of silence full of awareness.

In contrast when IAM not 'in awareness of awareness, the overall vibration of mind is quickened moving faster, as opposed to feeling gentle and still as a mill pond.

Thankyou for asking, your question just triggered persence to respond on it's own behalf in the doing of such IAM feeling quietened 'In the Inner peace of feeling the aliveness of Self.

There is more IAM sure for now gee whiz a part of me has just disappeared. :wink:

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Adya has a book titled "Emptiness Dancing." That has just the right kind of Zen koan ring to it...and some of the experience of presence. (It's also a great book!)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce