What does presence feel like?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Tara

Re: What does presence feel like?

Post by Tara » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

I get all this and may have had some moments with space. But when I (try/want to) taste or touch with out thought, it doesn't really work. I am going to put my hand on the table and thoughts immediately come up..image, thought seeking the feeling etc. Do I just keep trying and eventually the mind/thoughts will quiet? I have noticed when I stop before acting on a thought I catch it and kind of come back to present situation.
Webwanderer wrote:
kokujindayo wrote: "Clarity" though a pretty word, doesn't really help lol.
It probably doesn't help to one seeking mental pathways to experiential realities. The point is to experience presence directly, outside the concepts of mind. Thinking and analysis is not the path to experience presence - silence is. Look, listen, feel, but don't think, don't label, don't compare or decide. Sit with a sense of open curiosity without specifics. In this mental stillness, sense your own being. Clarity grows in experience without thought or filters. You can't figure this out in mind as mind takes you away from the presence you seek into more words and analysis.

Taste an orange without calling it tart. Touch the desk in front of you to feel its texture while giving no thought to discription. Feel the sense of awareness with a quiet mind. All of these things are portals to a general sense of presence. And in presence clarity of being returns. Warmth and tingley sensations, while enjoyable and sometimes indicative of alignment, can be just as distracting as any other sensations if one is going to analyze them and seek them out as proof of awakening. They are spontaneous, not created.

The book "Stillness Speaks" is well titled. Clarity thrives and grows in stillness. It's the fertile ground from which insight flows. And while the word "clarity" is no more than a finger pointing to the moon, the reality to which it points is beautiful indeed. Mind is a valuable servant, but a blind master. It may put words to insight, but it can never be its source. Take a moment, be still..., and know the essence of that pretty word.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:02 pm

I have noticed when I stop before acting on a thought I catch it and kind of come back to present situation.
I'd suggest for you that some ritualized form of meditation would be helpful at this stage so you can get a better taste of the empty mind. I started with TM, as have others here, but there are many techniques with fairly universal appeal. You will know the clarity of the present moment and become much more familiar with it -- then you will start to live there. Gary Weber's new book "Happiness Beyond Thought" has a number of techniques...based on the original Advaita Vedanta works.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Tara wrote:I get all this and may have had some moments with space. But when I (try/want to) taste or touch with out thought, it doesn't really work. I am going to put my hand on the table and thoughts immediately come up..image, thought seeking the feeling etc. Do I just keep trying and eventually the mind/thoughts will quiet? I have noticed when I stop before acting on a thought I catch it and kind of come back to present situation.
Tara, consider this portal to presence awareness: curiosity. Genuine curiosity does not presume to know answers. It's open and humble and innocent. Whether it's touching a table for the first time or surrendering to our relationship with Source, only a direct, in the moment willingness to let life/experience be what it is, without the bias of existing concepts, will give a clear perception into the moment's true nature. Honest curiosity steps outside our conditioning in favor of a direct experience. Do not look for soaring revelations, as this is the mind applying conditions for awakening. Rather look for clarity in what ever measure it comes. It is in that clarity of perception that awakening dawns.

Make a practice of a curious perspective. Set aside some time to be curious about your being and your relationship to life - not to analyze, but just to get a clearer sense of it through direct experience. Then throughout your day return to this clear (of conditioned thought) perspective as opportunities arise and rest here for a moment. You'll soon find it a sense of home. From here forays into the world of thought will be a bit like leaving your home in the morning and going into the world of work and responsibilities, yet you always know your way home and appreciate the rejuvenating peace and sanctuary that stepping back from the world offers.

WW

Tara

Post by Tara » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanx you all! I will check out TM and Gary Weber. WW your post made much sense as curiosity has been the word or thought when I am looking/touching etc at things. Like looking at nature and trying not to label has been a curios attempt for me:)

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:07 am

I will check out TM
I do not usually make this kind of public statement, but I do not endorse getting involved with the TM movement. If you don't mind paying exorbitant fees to learn it, using mantras that come from Hinduism, or the "puja" ceremony used at "initiation" (religious, ie Hindu) then go ahead. Many practicing Christians were unaware of the derivation of the mantras or the nature of the puja at the time of their initiation. The TM organization is very slick looking at first, but it is also deceptive, and there will be subtle pressure to add more to the basic technique (at great expense). But if you do learn TM then let that be enough, and don't get sucked into learning "advanced techniques" or any of their special "sidhi" techniques.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:12 am

I don't know anything about TM, but there is no reason to pay to learn meditation. ARO meditation online offers an excellent, free email course. The explanations are simple and clear. Even if you don't plan to meditate, it is still an excellent resource.

Vippassana meditation is also good, but it's a little rigorous and specifically teaches Anapana and Vippassana techniques. It's a free ten day, silent, course, that can be very rigourous for beginners; you are asked to meditate at least three times a day, one hour at a time, and that's quite a challenge for a beginner, at least it was for me. The organization runs on donations, but donations are only accepted from graduates, and there is never any pressure to donate.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:30 am

Tara wrote:I get all this and may have had some moments with space. But when I (try/want to) taste or touch with out thought, it doesn't really work. I am going to put my hand on the table and thoughts immediately come up..image, thought seeking the feeling etc. Do I just keep trying and eventually the mind/thoughts will quiet? I have noticed when I stop before acting on a thought I catch it and kind of come back to present situation.
Try it with sounds. Try this:
(from the Paradox of Effort, beyond-karma.com):
Here’s a small taste of no-effort. Close your eyes. Listen to the sounds around you. Hear a sound without labeling or interpreting. All you are doing is sensing the sound. Meet the perception half-way. See that there is no time-delay between hearing and sensing the sound. There is only a time-delay if there is interpreting or labeling or figuring out the sound. When sensing and hearing are one, thereis no delay and no effort.

Arjuna Argadh has an excellent short audio on being present with sounds at the end of this article: http://daily.finerminds.com/mind/awaken ... al-growth/

Also Leonard Jacobson, on his website, has a Q/A section that may be helpful.

Badger57

Post by Badger57 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 pm

A connectedness to life and some great controlling power is definitely what I feel. I don't think it's possible to adequately describe this feeling but I promise you'll recognize it instantly when it happens to you!
If you are asking what sensations I have then ....
A tingling under the skin that can erupt anywhere in my body but especially in my head. Slight and sparse to begin with but increasing in intensity and enveloping more and more of my body the more connected I get. You know the feel of a magnetic field? That's how I feel. Like an electro-magnet that is being given more and more charge by some kind of controlling device. (like used on a train set? - I can't remember what you call them? Transformers?) Sometimes my head can feel it is totally numbed by Novocaine. When the intensity gets very high it feels similar to an intense orgasm but in a non sexual way. Tingling in the toes gradually creeping up my legs then increasing in speed until there is a complete rush which totally overcomes my whole body in wave after wave of incredible pleasure! These days I feel some kind of presence to a greater or lesser degree 90% of the time. As this is my first spring after having my awakening towards the end of last year I have to say I'm totally enraptured with life. It is just SOOO very beautiful! :D :D :D

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 am

Very nice Badger57! After 36 years, I still feel big surges through my body...

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

James

Post by James » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

To me the word Presence does not denote any particular feeling, to do so is to objectify it. Any feelings associated with Presence are byproducts, and they are always subject to change, coming and going. I see Presence as the impersonal, pure awareness; that which notices all experiences and forms, yet is the substance of all experiences and forms. It is the nothingness that is everything. That being said, there seems to be some common byproducts or feelings associated with Presence. But looking for or expecting impermanent byproducts, can be a distraction or diversion, a form of bondage to states and experiences; whereas Presence itself always is.

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."

ib42

Post by ib42 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 am

On one of the rare, spontaneous experiences which came my way, I was standing next to a fig tree ( really ), and without any conscious effort or thought, everything became very still. There was a leaf in front of my face, very close, and I became aware of being one with the leaf. Nothing else mattered except the reality of no me there, just a dense, yet almost magically light feeling of utter peace. Nothing mattered but that flowing yet unmoving field of awareness beyond words. There was a sound, like a constant low drone or hum all around and in my being. Not an audible sound, like that made by an instrument or voice, but more like it belonged with the experience I was having.
It's very hard to write this experience down, but I would say that for the few moments it lasted, (Maybe 20 seconds of 'clock time'), i was not afraid or worried or even concerned about anything and felt what home must be like. Not earthly, not concrete...just a certainty of safety.
Not since that moment of glorious freedom have I felt it again. In fact, writing about it makes me ache to live in that state forever. Worry, depression, anxiety and general unhappiness are more the norm for me, but This experience, if I was truly there, is an inkling of what bliss is.
I can't make it happen. That was a once in a lifetime glimpse into eternity, I think.
Thanks for reading this far.

OnthePath

Post by OnthePath » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Hand wrote: For me, being present is when i am not thinking, when I am 'at one' with what i am looking at, there is a sense of 'peace', it 'takes over' for example looking at a sunset.
Would you feel the same if instead of the sunset you have a mountain of garbage in front of you? What I'm trying to say is that I hear everybody talking about feeling presence when they are looking at trees, flowers, beautiful landscapes, the ocean... etc. . Why does it have to be beauty? On a no-mind level, there is no ugliness and no beauty. I'm wondering if someone can feel presence when he/she is surrounded by ugliness and feel one with it. I have never read of such experiences.

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 pm

OnthePath wrote:
Hand wrote: For me, being present is when i am not thinking, when I am 'at one' with what i am looking at, there is a sense of 'peace', it 'takes over' for example looking at a sunset.
Would you feel the same if instead of the sunset you have a mountain of garbage in front of you? What I'm trying to say is that I hear everybody talking about feeling presence when they are looking at trees, flowers, beautiful landscapes, the ocean... etc. . Why does it have to be beauty? On a no-mind level, there is no ugliness and no beauty. I'm wondering if someone can feel presence when he/she is surrounded by ugliness and feel one with it. I have never read of such experiences.
Mystical experiences seem to be "someone can feel presence regardless the surrounding, beautiful, neutral, or ugly".

OnthePath

Post by OnthePath » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Tony-S-Ma wrote:
OnthePath wrote:
Mystical experiences seem to be "someone can feel presence regardless the surrounding, beautiful, neutral, or ugly".
That's what I think but I don't know why presence seems to be always related to something beautiful: a flower, a mountain, clear water, stars in the sky, green landscapes....
Last edited by OnthePath on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:03 pm

Ugliness is the absence of perceived Beauty. It is more artificial, or it activates the mind more. Mind tends to focus more on negatives due to the fact it is evolved from surviving instinct. When the mind is in a more positive state (or it perceives the surrounding is safe), it tends to be less active, and the presence is therefore more easily felt.

Surrounded by Beauty in a peaceful environment, one's mind tends to be more calm. This is a conditioning exercise. After mind becomes habitually calm in that surrounding, it becomes calmer in other surroundings, and eventually quiet down that one feels presence all the time.

Some practice Presence Awareness in busy daily life. It is called Karma Yoga. Gandhi was an example.