Nihilism

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jugu

Nihilism

Post by jugu » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Isn't this all just disguised nihilism?

Webwanderer

Re: Nihilism

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 pm

I would not presume to speak for another, but my own perception is that life is filled with a beauty and opportunities that only became recognizable through increase clarity - far from a nihilistic perspective.

I agree there appears to be a risk in the "I don't exist", "it's all an illusion", "so it's all pointless" perspective. If this is yet another form of mental identity masquerading as clarity, such a depressive state as nihilism is indeed possible.

Buyer beware. We are each responsible for what we accept as truth, even if it's nothing at all.

WW

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:25 am

Reject everything = Nihilism

Accept everything = ???

jugu

Post by jugu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 am

Is acceptance passive?

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Good question. I don't know if acceptance is passive or active.
And I don't think anyone can either reject everything or accept everything. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 pm

jugu wrote:Isn't this all just disguised nihilism?
It may appear to be nihilism to the thinking mind, but no - it is not.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Glycine wrote:Good question. I don't know if acceptance is passive or active.
And I don't think anyone can either reject everything or accept everything. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle.
Maybe acceptance is passively active, or actively passive.

If one rejects everything, Nihilism must be rejected. One is in a paradox.

If one accepts everything as true, one chooses not to choose. Paradoxical also.

It seems the two extremes are actually the same. No individual can actually assume that position.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Is acceptance passive?

I see no difference in asking the question, "Is it passive to accept reality?", and asking the question, "Is it passive to believe an untrue thought?"
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

The emptiness is the fullness, grasshopper.

jugu

Post by jugu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 am

eputkonen wrote: It may appear to be nihilism to the thinking mind, but no - it is not.
Than what is it to the enlightened mind or the no mind? The very term "no mind" seems to epitomize nihlism.
randomguy wrote:I see no difference in asking the question, "Is it passive to accept reality?", and asking the question, "Is it passive to believe an untrue thought?"
What on earth do you mean random guy?

jugu

Post by jugu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:52 am

karmarider wrote:The emptiness is the fullness, grasshopper.
Beauty of a quote, but I've felt this never has rung any sort of truth in my life.

jugu

Post by jugu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:55 am

Dosn't nothingness just sound terrible?! How can anyone look at nothingness for comfort? How much sense does that make at all?

mikel

Post by mikel » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 am

How can anyone look at nothingness for comfort?
I get a sense here that you may be taking nothingness to mean a kind of dead lifeless experience.

to move closer to a more accurate view of this word, one could say "How can anyone look at relying on no things for comfort"
Car, house, sex, money, alcohol, good looks, praise, self worth...

If you close your eyes and truly rest as you are, can you say that I am comfortable with just being here? or do I have to think about who I am or what I have, in order to feel peace and comfort?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:01 pm

jugo wrote:
randomguy wrote:I see no difference in asking the question, "Is it passive to accept reality?", and asking the question, "Is it passive to believe an untrue thought?"
What on earth do you mean random guy?
You asked, "Is acceptance passive?"

For me fundamentally, the present moment always is, awareness always is and reality always is. The underlying sensation of that message feels true to me. When at peace with reality, what occurs is accepted while thoughts that emerge carrying messages to the contrary are recognized as not true and fade quietly away. All thoughts are not true. Believing a thought seems to redirect awareness from a state of agreement with reality to a state that is further steeped in imagination. Suffering is our awareness in imagination colliding with reality. Reality wins.

So each moment presents a choice (that is not really a choice) to either accept reality or believe an untrue thought. Which is more passive? Only you can answer whether accepting reality is passive or not. What is passivity? To me neither acceptance nor thought identification has anything to do with the concept of passivity.

Nihilism is just a philosophy. A philosophy is just a story. I may believe a story. It may cause me to conclude that all Tolle readers are easily categorized as nihilists. This may temporarily make my imagined sense of self feel strong for knowing such a clever thing. But is it true? And how does that limit me? How could that create discomfort? What is more true?
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm

jugu wrote:
karmarider wrote:The emptiness is the fullness, grasshopper.
Beauty of a quote, but I've felt this never has rung any sort of truth in my life.
Presence and Awareness gives the experience of it. Nihilism is a mind concept with the connotation of "what's the point?" It is nihilism, but with fullness of experience. Reading back, my words don't make sense, but I'll leave them as they are.