Why the body?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
lucy

Why the body?

Post by lucy » Thu May 18, 2006 8:14 pm

I was reading through some quotes by Adyashanti and one really hit a chord with me "The body is the sensing apparatus of awareness". I always wondered what the purpose of the body was, why would awareness create something that mislead us to identify with it to a point where we forget who we are. The idea of "Leela" just wasn't satisfying fo me. It's far more satisfying to know that awareness created this sensing apparatus so that it can truly know itself in everything. When we look at a tree, it's really awareness looking at itself...brillant!!!

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu May 18, 2006 10:42 pm

Very nice insight Lucy. No, Awareness did not create the body for the sole purpose of misleading us into forgetfulness. Forgetfulness, and separation identity, is but a by-product of immersion into physical form. In the ultimate scheme of things, a time of forgetfulness may be necessary. If so, it serves a grand design indeed.

As to the purpose of the body, it is a far more intimate and educational experience in living to go diving in the ocean, than to sit back and watch the fish tank.

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Fri May 19, 2006 12:52 am

When I was a young boy I layed out on my lawn and got lost in the immersive experience and pure joy of looking into the night sky, I saw so many stars and my young mind voyaged towards them, that was the remeberance point for me, I realize now my own awareness completed that view of eternity. Before the conditioned mind there was, just this.

One.

John

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri May 19, 2006 2:33 am

Well said John.

I too, as a youngster, recall looking up into the night sky and wondering about, where was the end of the universe? And if one was at the edge, what was there? Was it a wall, a barrier, and whatever it was, the next inevitable question was, "what was on the other side of it?" Of course no answer came back then, being I saw the universe as "out there".

How different, how incompassing, how very intimate the universe looks when one shifts perception to seeing the universe as "in here".