Insomnia

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
colinw

Insomnia

Post by colinw » Wed May 20, 2009 9:05 am

Hi everyone

Has anyone else experienced problems with insomnia? It has dogged me seriously for many years (after a period of anxiety and depression), and continues to make my nights difficult. I've tried many different remedies over the years, but none has really worked. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach insomnia from the point of view of Presence - how to bring some of Tolle's teachings into my experience of it? Perhaps inner body awareness, and trying to convert it into something positive? I'm still quite new to Tolle's work (just finishing A New Earth!), so still finding my way around his ideas.

Thanks, and hope everyone is happy and well! This is a great forum.

Colin

pieutr

Re: Insomnia

Post by pieutr » Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 am

Hello Colin,

I am glad to bring you my contribution on this question.
Has anyone else experienced problems with insomnia?
I did. When I was young I used to have insomnia until a certain time I remember well. My mother came into the room to say goodnight to me. I told her I didn't want to have an insomnia again, and that I was annoyed with this because I thought it was going to make me tired the day after, and so on. My mother then just told me (and after she told me that, I haven't had any insomnia anymore) that if I didn't fall asleep, it was because my body didn't need to rest.
I've tried many different remedies over the years, but none has really worked
I assume that the very fact to try remedies and to want to "solve the problem" makes it be a real problem and gives it consitence. the more you resist it, the stronger it is. I would say to try to forget about the word "insomnia" first, which also give consistence to what happens to you. Then what could help I guess is to come to a place of acceptance of what is going on, I explain : when you are in your bed, and you don't fall asleep, bring no opposition to that, just accept that now, at this moment, you are awake. That is this moment, it is as it is, and resisting to what is brings suffering.
In life, there is always what one wants, and what is. Awakening is about aligning one's will with what is. No longer "getting what you want, but wanting what you get" (this is from Tolle). This applies to everything including the so-called insomnia. Who wants to fall asleep ? Well, your ego does. When you resist to the fact that right now you are not asleep, you are strenghening your mind made sense of self who wants to fall asleep now and who is telling you : "you should be sleeping, you are going to be tired" (making you feel guilty) or "oh no, again this insomnia, why do I have it ?"(making it into a personal problem).
Recognize the ego when you are trying and wanting to fall asleep. Let it be by simply observing it, and little by litle it will dissolve itself.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach insomnia from the point of view of Presence
Tell me if I am wrong, but I think a driving force for insomnia are thoughts itself. Thoughts excite the mind and so it doesn't go in the right way when you want to fall asleep. What you could try is to feel your inner body, as you said it. It will remove your attention from thoughts, and place it in your body. As a consequence you eliminate time from your preoccupations (thoughts are only time, because all the content of your thinking is directly derived from your past conditioning), and then time is no longer a "problem" since it does not exist anymore at this moment when you have removed your attention from your mind. Insomnia (or I'd better say "the fact that you don't sleep right now") is no longer a problem without time.

I hop this can help ;)

Pierre

colinw

Post by colinw » Wed May 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Thank you so much, pieutr - thank is so compassionate and helpful (and very beautifully expressed).

Colin

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed May 20, 2009 4:18 pm

colinw wrote:Hi everyone

Has anyone else experienced problems with insomnia?

Colin
Yes. Insomnia goes with anxiety and depression. My experience with it was that insomnia-depression feed on each other.

Yes, presence (awareness, effortless meditation) will help in the long term, but sometimes the symptoms of awakening can bring about insomnia (and detachment, apathy).

What worked very well for me is a combination of Release and Awareness. Release helps heal the past, and helps us let go of the "negativity" which binds us to depression, anxiety, insomnia and similar. You may notice that as destructive as these things are, we have a certain attachment to them; as ET says, we take a peculiar pleasure in pain. Releasing can help.

Awareness leads to effortless meditation, or just being, natural being.

colinw

Post by colinw » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 am

Thank you, karmarider! Your website is fantastic - I've just been reading about Releasing (a new idea to me).

Hope you are happy and well.

C

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 am

Personal experience:

Waking up with "fear" -> why am I feeling fear ? -> finding (many) reasons -> searching for solutions and getting stuck -> getting depressed -> shit I cant sleep -> getting more depressed -> shit my day will be ruined -> further depressed -> conclusion: life sucks

Just looking and accepting | <- depressed <- my day will be ruined <- I cant sleep <- solution searching <- "causes" <- fear

a brighter looking | <- ok, I cant sleep <- ok, let the day be somewhat ruined <- some searching (let go) <- fear

clear looking | <- ok, awake <- thoughts (let go) <- fear

crystal clear looking | <- fear (getting smaller, smaller, smaller.........)

Clarity | <- fulfilment ....., whoops, there you go: zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

For me, this process did not happen over one night, it took a little more.
But thats just me.

------------

Just like Eckhart states, somewhat like this:
Your awareness will be fed by the energy of the painbody, when you look at the painbody.
Your painbody will get smaller and smaller, the brighter it is looked at.
---ooOoo---

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Thu May 21, 2009 11:27 am

Your awareness will be fed by the energy of the painbody, when you look at the painbody.
Your painbody will get smaller and smaller, the brighter it is looked at.
The light of consciousness disperses all illusive darkness. There is no darkness, but the absence of light.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 am

colinw wrote:Thank you, karmarider! Your website is fantastic - I've just been reading about Releasing (a new idea to me).

Hope you are happy and well.

C
Thanks. And, yes, I am very happy and well, and I want this for everyone.

johny

Post by johny » Tue May 26, 2009 4:47 pm

Count from 500 to 1. This is what I used to do when I had depression and I could not sleep.
Surrendered laziness is my birth right --Johny
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

avadhut

Post by avadhut » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:19 am

Hi Marcel,

Can you be more elaborate and tell EXACTLY what you did to sleep?

I'm suffering from insomnia since last 3 years. How can I use Eckhart Tolle's methods for sleep?