Someone please help me re-define "prayer" now....

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
momtype

Someone please help me re-define "prayer" now....

Post by momtype » Thu May 25, 2006 3:27 pm

My view of "God" has shifted from "father figure" to "loving source". I am attempting to fit "prayer" into all this. Is it really then, manifestation? Would someone be so kind as to help walk me through this one? Thank you very much!

Egoicmidget

Post by Egoicmidget » Fri May 26, 2006 2:07 am

My view of "God" has shifted from "father figure" to "loving source". I am attempting to fit "prayer" into all this. Is it really then, manifestation? Would someone be so kind as to help walk me through this one? Thank you very much!
I find stillness itself to be a wonderful state to be in because prayer isn't offered by the mind rather it comes from the spirit, or as Tolle calls it the witnessing presence.
I think being in the silence beneath the minds chatter is abiding within in a very sacred place, which is the eternal now.
It is within and everywhere.

Try going to nature and dropping all word identifiers and see what happens.
Just look without labeling and listen, no internal commentary is needed.
I think prayer is a perfect fit within Tolle's teachings.

John

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri May 26, 2006 4:04 am

Every thought is a prayer. Thoughts are where your power is placed. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri May 26, 2006 5:03 am

Why not bypass prayer altogether and rest in source/Being? To "pray" is to keep one separate from that to which you pray - it implies "two-ness". What is it that gets in the way of source? - the one who practices anything, including prayer. Find the source ItSelf - the Beingness that lies beneath your idea of who you are. ET's portals and self-inquiry are aids in doing this.

Larryfroot

Post by Larryfroot » Fri May 26, 2006 8:17 am

Prayer is a portal too. but one that is usually accessed outside ot the daily routine etc.

try working with other portals whilst still maintaining your practice of prayer. If prayer is to commune with god then the very power of your presence will act as to allow you to live your life in prayer, even whilst you are engaged in so many external activities.

Prayer has been so degraded by the attitude that god is like a big warehouse. You just pop a prayer in, and an item of one's desires pops out.

Prayer that actually has real spiritual power is prayer of surrender, of offeriing, of love.
Many a mickle muches a markle.

heidi

Post by heidi » Fri May 26, 2006 5:21 pm

Thoughts are where your power is placed.
OR misplaced! :lol:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

JedEye

Post by JedEye » Fri May 26, 2006 10:04 pm

prayer - receiving peace, beauty, love, receiving stronger relation with the One from the One, letting go, giving everything problems, thoughts, situations to the One to be perfectly resolved, so no future or past will disturb this moment of close-ness. Using concious world`s help, guidance, presence. Letting grace and conciousness bring harmony to one`s life, not disturbing the flow. Choosing this moment to feel and receive fulness and loving care of life without postponing it even 5minutes.
To ask - what life wants to give now? by being open for anything
Also the state of agreeing with one`s not understanding of what is and knowing that life understands perfectly and knows what is doing. Agreeing with life which is doing what is needed to be done.

no more words

JedEye

Post by JedEye » Fri May 26, 2006 11:10 pm

As I was reading Papaji a moment ago my definition collapsed.

Papaji's morning prayer for everyone:
"Let all beings be happy, all beings of the earth, all beings of heaven, all beings of hell. Please, oh God, give them happiness". This will change your face.
When it is true, such intention brings so much love and heart opens. So different :o
no more words

momtype

This is wonderfully helpful!!!

Post by momtype » Fri May 26, 2006 11:19 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I had been struggling with revising my notion of prayer from my upbringing of praying TO someone, asking THAT PERSON to grant someone healing or peace or? Or giving thanks to THAT PERSON for blessings, as opposed to praying as a mediation, as a way to connect with the One and LETTING.

I especially like the way you said "asking what life wants to give now". This speaks to me. Thank you, thank you
Last edited by momtype on Fri May 26, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momtype

A sincere thank you to ALL OF YOU.....

Post by momtype » Fri May 26, 2006 11:40 pm

A sincere thank you to ALL OF YOU who responded with your thoughtful and insightful comments. This has been very helpful for me.

Thanks!

Mal2

Post by Mal2 » Sun May 28, 2006 7:17 pm

When you are living in the now everything you do is a prayer.

Mal2

Post by Mal2 » Sun May 28, 2006 7:21 pm

When you are living in the now everything you do is a prayer.

gina

Post by gina » Tue May 30, 2006 7:27 pm

Last edited by gina on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gina

Post by gina » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:35 pm

Last edited by gina on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.