How long can you stay present?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
johny

How long can you stay present?

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 am

As the subject says. I started practising being in the present after reading Osho some years back. I would awaken from habitual thinking every few months in the beginning. Now I am able to stay present for few minutes and wakeup within an hour after being lost in the thinking or doing. How about you?
Surrendered laziness is my birth right --Johny
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

cobra22

Re: How long can you stay present?

Post by cobra22 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:33 am

[gansta speak]I'm present all the time, bitch.[/gangsta speak] :wink:

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:38 am

Wow. Your words speak for themselves.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am

How long can "you" deny being present?
For some, perhaps, an entire "lifetime".

Presence/Awareness IS - beyond the limitations of "time" - eternal.

"We" are "That".

Peace
Peace

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:17 am

^^^^ Not bad hypothetical answer for a practical question.
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Impossible to answer.
For then there is neither -how-, -long- or -you-.
---ooOoo---

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Let me ask this way, "how long can you stay aware/present before the thinking mind takes over, and how fast you can get back to presence once you have been taken over?"

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm

It's a question which might pique your curiosity but will any answer serve your own awakening? Does it serve your awakening to compare yourself to anyone else? Doesn't that just set up the possibility for a subtle sense of failure or sense of superiority? That's a trap that one can easily fall into, so be alert as to motivation for the question, and be alert to how you respond to any answers you get. Heightened alertness to very subtle egoic strategies will serve your awakening and lessen mental entrapment.

Edited: line 5 :wink:
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

OnthePath

Post by OnthePath » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Johny,

That's the question that has been on my mind ever since I learned about mindfulness and the present moment. When I first started to pay attention to the "here and now", it was very hard. But somewhere I read that finding hard to stay present is actually a good sign. Whenever we find it hard to stay awake, that means we're awake, even if it's for a fraction of a second. That's how you start noticing gaps. They are tiny in the beginning and they grow bigger and bigger each day, the more we notice them.
Another thing that might help you is deciding that each startling sound that you hear: an alarm, ringtone, beeper, any sound that you notice and that interrupts your ongoing thinking, as a means to get your attention to the present.
I have been suffering lately of some itchiness. I sought medical attention and the doctor gave me a cream that I have to put each time my skin gets itchy. The cream is very expensive which means it's very strong. I try to put it only in times when the itchiness is unbearable. I've noticed that my skin gets itchy whenever I get slightly frustrated or a little anxious( I don't get really anxious anymore). I would have never come to this conclusion, if I hadn't paid close attention to my body and its reaction. So now instead of running to get the cream, I use the itchiness as a reminder to be present. And the more I do that , the less my skin gets itchy. The point I'm trying to get to is: try to find a reminder in your everyday life that gets you to come back to the present time. There are plenty of them if you ask me :)

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:59 pm

@Kiki
Well, I just asked it because I wanted to ask. I am surprised that there could be so many reasons for such simple question. Thanks for replying.

@MF
Marcel Franke wrote:there is neither -how-, -long- or -you-.
You wouldn't be saying that if I had borrowed 100 bucks from you.

@OnThePath
Glad to hear that. Even I had dust allergy which has vanished somehow. BTW I had stopped taking any kind of medicine way back.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:04 pm

LOL Johny....determined thing! Onethepath has just come up with the new "Theory of Everything" !! Next time I get hungry I shall remind myself I need to be more in the present! Hell of a way of saving on food!! :lol:

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:07 pm

And there is no competition from my side regarding awareness. I quite enjoy the company of my egoic mind. Don't want to be aware to a point where I have to remember that Wed Jun3 is when the cells of my epidermis need to replaced or whether the food is still stuck somewhere in the intestine. :lol:

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Peaceman wrote: Next time I get hungry I shall remind myself I need to be more in the present! Hell of a way of saving on food!! :lol:
Certainly good if you try. If people ate with awareness there won't be so many overweight people.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:38 pm

John:
> Let me ask this way, "how long can you stay aware/present before the thinking mind takes over,
> and how fast you can get back to presence once you have been taken over?"

The thinking mind does not take over.
That is just a silly belief we keep holding on to.
The thinking mind believes itself to be the Core,
and that it is being able to take over, but it can not.
It is just a silly blasphemy.
---ooOoo---

johny

Post by johny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Thinking mind takes over or we loose awareness whatever. I do not bother with terminology. This topic has 14 replies and 50 views and not even a single answer to the question. Whatever has happened to simplicity?.