To write or not to write?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Lawless

To write or not to write?

Post by Lawless » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:42 am

I have read "The Power of Now" and am fascinated with the concept of living in the present moment as much as possible. Being aware of the Now and being fully present feels great. There is, however, one thing that bothers me, and I would like to hear your opinion about it.

I am writing a novel. I'm really excited about it and most of the time, I feel that I really, really want to complete it and have it published. Sometimes, however, I feel that writing that novel keeps dragging me away from the reality.

Let me explain what I mean. While I walk around or brush my teeth or listen to music or whatever, the novel keeps playing in my head. Good ideas about various scenes in the novel keep occurring to me while I'm doing all kinds of other things that don't require full concentration. Whenever I get the chance, I write those ideas down, and polish them later into fluent prose. However, I feel that thinking about the novel drags me away from the Now.

It's like I'm living in a dream world much of my waking hours. As I writer, I am glad that useful ideas come to me so easily, but on the other hand I feel that I should be more present in the real world instead of constantly inventing something that doesn't exist.

Has anybody else had similar exeperiences? Do you have any idea how to solve this dilemma?

kiki

Re: To write or not to write?

Post by kiki » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I feel that writing that novel keeps dragging me away from the reality.
Finish your novel - enjoy the process, try to have it published, but watch out for investment in believing that it "must" be published. You are familiar enough with what presence is to let it deepen as well. As you write, periodically just stop momentarily and feel the silence and stillness within - that will help keep you anchored in reality as you play in dream land.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Welcome, Lawless! We read about enlightened people who go through their days with only a few passing thoughts, and know that we aren't like them. Gary Weber says that thoughts are like a few birds in an otherwise clear sky, much different from his earlier years. My dear friend kiki speaks about thinking now being reduced by 90%.

That's truly fine for them. Perhaps they live in perpetual, essentially thought-free Nowness. But you are where you are. The novel is inspiring to you, it represents a source for enthusiasm and joy. Remember those two vital elements of awakening, from the end of ANE? Worrying about staying in the Now is a mind-trap. I say, relish the wonderful thoughts which surface - perhaps they are little Source-beams!! Pull them into your novel and cherish the lovely mind you have. Escape it some other day/month/year. Practice Pure Awareness consciously when you have a chance using some/any technique that works, but don't fret about your creative juices -- how else can they manifest for a novelist besides as thoughts?

Gary's book "Happiness Beyond Thought" offers some advanced techniques for dissolving the ego-veils.

And stick around. I'm also writing a novel - have been for 12 years...am frustrated by the slow progress from time to time, but that glacial pace, too, is what it is -- ya gotta love it, according to Byron Katie!

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 am

Keep writing. It is conducive to awakening. Thoughts happen, imagination happens....a passive watchfulness will see all of this and use it in writing without identifying with it.

johny

Post by johny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 am

Similar question for me was to draw or not to draw. I love to draw. Mostly what you may call egoic nudity. I decided to draw anyway. I don't know what you may think but the night I had my awakening experience I had drawn two sketches of buddha against my usuality. I was feeling an urge to do so.
Surrendered laziness is my birth right --Johny
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Here's the deal. I find that in the act of creation - in the moments when engaged in creating - be it painting or writing, I find that time ceases to exist and I allow the creation to happen through me, and in that allowing is where I experience divine presence. To me, when I'm lost in the writing and a character has taken over, or when I am painting, I am in the most present state. It's simply divine.

The planning to paint or write, I think is what you are talking about, not the act itself. The hoping to finish and publish. And there's certainly nothing wrong with taking notes when an idea pops in, since it's the popping in part that's present. As far as the attachment to getting published goes, as Kiki said, everything will be fine so long as you don't attach yourself - your happiness - to that outcome. I hope my book gets published and becomes a movie, but I'm certainly not basing my happiness upon that outcome; I'm simply allowing it. ;)

Also, a willingness to allow "failure" is a wonderful thing too. When doing art, if you detach from the outcome (every piece needn't be a masterpiece) some amazing things happen, and often the "failure" is just the part of the process that was a necessary step in your development.

Oh goody! I get to quote my favorite Goethe quote
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.

Carry on :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:56 pm

I recommend a book called "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." With very simply techniques, it teaches not only drawing, but how to be present in creativity.

johny

Post by johny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:15 pm

^^^^ I took a test on left/right brain activity on about.com yesterday and the result was 50-50. I rule.
Last edited by johny on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

johny

Post by johny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks KR for mentioning the book.

eagle2phoenix

Post by eagle2phoenix » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Go with the flow and write. Do as your heart tells you. Let it guide you. Be creative. Write until you feel you need not any longer. Then stop.
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.