meaning of life and fullfilment

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

meaning of life and fullfilment

Post by fortune » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 am

simple question What is the meaning of life and how do we feel fullfilment? we spend our whole lives working and searching so we will feel a sense of abundance. we start school at 4 and if we go to university as we are told we should we usually leave in our early 20's then we get a job that pays well and there's still a deep sense of lack and unfullfilment for a lot of people, we go out partying and having girlfriends or boyfriends and getting married or having kids and even though they love their partner a lot of people still feel a sense of unfullfilment.

The only reason this forum exists is because we feel a sense of lack thats why you signed up for the forum. a good quote that the dalai lama said was that every single action that we take in life even if it is a hateful one is done because we want to be happy. what i'm saying is that our whole lives are spent working and searching for fullfilment. Even though i am only 18 one thing that i have learned is that fullfilment isn't something that is external, a good quote from an indian guru (can't remember his name) said that the external world is there just to make us comfortable and that we lived better than we did a thousand years ago so what more could we want.
i suppose i want to know how to do something simple like walk down a street and not feel a sense of lack because i'm not at my destination yet (and you know what hapens when i get to my destination).

Hand

Re: meaning of life and fullfilment

Post by Hand » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:24 am

This is (roughly speaking) some of what Eckhart says.

A life's 'inner' purpose can be to be deeply in the moment, to accept what is, to enjoy whatever is happening right now and not to be attached to the outcome/results. To inhabit your body as much as possible. To savour every experience, using all of your senses. The 'outer' purpose will take care of itself as you will be revelling in the 'bliss' of being present and not resisting what is happening now. To use the clock only for practical purposes and remain anchored in the now.

Byron Katie says if you totally accept what is happening i.e. reality then there are no problems, nothing is being resisted, therefore no suffering.

I used to be depressed and constantly thinking "How can I make a difference"? How can I help other people? How can I leave my mark on the world? Ha ha what arrogance.....now I understand. It is to be at peace within myself, to offer no resistance to the world, and, therefore, no suffering is projected (and thus having a knock-on effect through the world). Then, if people benefit from that that is great, if they don't so be it. I don't have to 'do' anything, I can just 'be' without attachment to the outcome.

The same with this post - it is helpful to me to summarise some of what Eckhart says and BK says just out of the top of my head - if no one else benefits (or even reads it) it doesn't matter.
Last edited by Hand on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is. Accept Life. Peace reigns.

sweet inspiration

Re: meaning of life and fullfilment

Post by sweet inspiration » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 am

Hello -

Well I guess that from this teachings point of view is that the purpose of life is to be here now. There is no past and no future - thats all in the head. Of course in a practical level thats fine - we can plan, make appointments and such. But fear, stress and worry is all created when you project yourself to an illusion called time - past and future. Life is now and its already happening.

To fulfill your purpose - you simply need to be here now. If your walking, just walk, if your standing just stand - and if your planning, just plan.

There are a lot of elaborate answers to "life's purpose". And yes they are great - but I believe the simplest is the best - our life's is now - and to be fulfilled - we need to be here now.