Procrastination / Resistance - help!!!

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
lowki

Procrastination / Resistance - help!!!

Post by lowki » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello all,

I am glad I have found this forum.

I'll cut right to the chase. Is there anyway to apply the teachings of the "Power of Now" in a way that I can cut through procrastination, discomfort and resistance?

Sometimes for me, it seems the only way I can get through all that procrastination/discomfort/resistance is to turn up my anxiety and plow through it or simply forget about it and let the worries pile up in my mind.

For example, I enjoy having goals in my life, but this seems contradictory to the teachings of the "Power of Now", unless I misunderstood something. But when I do go after a goal, I often hit discomfort/resistance. Is this a sign I should give up or should plow through?
Last edited by lowki on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mason

Re: Procrastination / Resistance - help!!!

Post by Mason » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm

lowki wrote: Is there anyway to apply the teachings of the "Power of Now" in a way that I can cut through procrastination, discomfort and resistance?
Yes.
lowki wrote:...when I do go after a goal, I often hit discomfort/resistance. Is this a sign I should give up and plow through?
No.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:52 am

>I am glad I have found this forum.

Nice to have you here, lowki

>I'll cut right to the chase. Is there anyway to apply the teachings of the "Power of Now" in a way that I can cut through procrastination, discomfort and resistance?

What is to be applied from the teaching besides from it simply recognizing the truth within/of yourself that the teaching merely points to? Procrastination, discomfort and resistance are manifestations of a dream identity. Find what is uncomfortable and you will find attachment to thoughts. To cut through attachment, observe your self, observe what is, observe what you think you are.

>Sometimes for me, it seems the only way I can get through all that procrastination/discomfort/resistance is to turn up my anxiety and plow through it or simply forget about it and let the worries pile up in my mind.

This one is very familiar to "me". What would it be like to "get through" with no attachment to the outcome? Are you so sure that you do nothing or not-enough without worry? How would you know? To what extent have to seen the degree to which you are animated by reality? Did you make those bones grow inside your body? Do you turn the earth about the sun, circulate your blood and breath yourself? Maybe "personal will" is not "yours/ours" either. Has the body ever just gotten up and gone to the refrigerator and "you" realize, "Oh, I'm going to the refrigerator"? Have you seen how much is taken care of for you (without thoughts anchoring life energy in dream)? This is, this moves everything, you and your thoughts. But don't take my word for it. Find out.

>For example, I enjoy having goals in my life, but this seems contradictory to the teachings of the "Power of Now", unless I misunderstood something. But when I do go after a goal, I often hit discomfort/resistance. Is this a sign I should give up and plow through?

What possible truthful answer can come from a "should" question from any view? Experiences marinated in attachment to thoughts of "should" or "shouldn't" are dreams. Believe nothing, discover what you are, all truth is there.
Last edited by randomguy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 am

We have trouble with goals and desires because mostly these come from conditioning, and there is a lot of conflict in conditioning. There are all sorts of conflicting and limiting beliefs.

I've written about releasing emotions on my site. I haven't written about releasing the emotions around desires and goals. I suggest reading the Sedona Method.

And, goals are not contradictory to the Power of Now. It's the shoulding and limiting beliefs and conflicts that are unnecessary.

sweet inspiration

Post by sweet inspiration » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:05 pm

I think that what the teachings refer to as "goals" is not actually the problem. Practical future is ok - you still do what you have to do. Its fine to make plans, set appointments, or even acquire more knowledge and skill.

The issue is psychological future - the hopes of completing the mind made image of me through the accumulation of more stuff - if you do that you get anxious, worried, and stressed. All forms in this world, internally like thoughts and emotions and externally like the physical world, does not matter - they matter relatively but not absolutely.

What matter absolutely is if your aligned with life here and now.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:45 pm

> Is this a sign I should give up and plow through?

Discomfort and resistance.
It is a sign of negligence.
There is nothing wrong with heading for a goal.
But something has been neglected.
First, there is no not need to call it discomfort or resistance.
It is just a feeling, an emotion.
And there is no need to stop labeling it.
When a bottle is there, it doesnt matter if you put a label on it.
The bottle is there.
You can put a label on it with text A, or text Z, it doesnt matter.
You can put no label on it, that doesnt matter either.
Just let the labeling be.
Just know it doesnt matter.
And forget the goal for a sec. And forget the labeling.
Where is this feeling located ? This emotion ?
You have not really looked at it, you have not feeled into it.
What is it really ?
In the past you have labeled it, and you have tried to solve –the problem-.
Or you have tried to push it away.
Dont plow, give up, or do whatever.
Just give it your full attention.
You have never looked at what it really is.
You were heading for a goal, and there is this feeling.
Then stop.
This is an opportunity.
Where is this feeling ?
Where is it located in your body ?
Which body-part ?
Has it got one or more locations ?
It is asking your attention. It is begging you.
What is the feeling really ?
What does it do in your body ?
Does it move, is it an itch, a wave,….. what is it ?
What is it really ?
And when you see the emotion, when you feel it….
Then you know that you are, right ?
Otherwise that feeling would not be there.
Look at that too. At the fact that you-are-here-rightnow.
How does that feel ? The fact that you are ?
And then look at that feeling again.
Are there more feelings –behind- it ?
It is not your enemy.
See what happens.
Yes ?
---ooOoo---

lowki

Post by lowki » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 pm

The resistance/anxiety/stress feeling is in my head area, it's like this black mass in my head that just slows me down. It's just a "blah" feeling in my head mostly.

I'm not sure how to feel this though? It makes me feel bad, so how would feeling this help me through this?

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts on this!

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:17 pm

lowki wrote:I'm not sure how to feel this though? It makes me feel bad, so how would feeling this help me through this?
A big part of the reason the feeling hangs around is that you're resisting it.

Allow the feeling. See that this emotion is actually a set of body sensations. You say it's around the head: feel the tension, the tightness, probably around the face are but elsewhere as well. See that an emotion is a pattern of body sensations which we connect to a thought-story.

Allow the emotion.
Ask yourself: can I let this go?
Yes or no, go ahead and let it go in this present moment.

Repeat whenever you feel the emotion.

enigma

Post by enigma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 am

As everyone knows by now, I'm more into noticing than practicing, and so from that perspective, it can be noticed that neither thought nor feeling can be experienced except as a movement. IOW, a thought is noticed only as it comes into being, and it cannot continue to be noticed unless more thoughts chase it around and continually bring it back to life.

The same is true of feelings. There really is no such thing as a stuck feeling that remains and can't be gotten rid of. Again, feeling is only noticed as it arises, and left alone, it stops moving and fades away very quickly.

It's our attention to thoughts and feelings that hold them in place, and then we imagine that they are stuck there. The reason it is suggested that thoughts and feelings simply be allowed and noticed is that by allowing them, we don't chase them around, thereby continually bringing them back to life.

As Eric said somewhere, we can become interested in the drama, or the feeling itself, or the need to be right or to win or to feel self righteous or whatever the reason. This is why we keep recreating thoughts and feelings, and it's this that needs to be let go of. Don't ever try to stop a thought or feeling, just let go of the desire to chase after it. Lose interest in it, and it will lose interest in you. If you can't let go of the interest, you are obliged to let go of the victimhood.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:11 am

Hallo Lowki !

Ah..., I see...
There is this turmoil in your head telling all kinds of stuff...

Now, besides this turmoil, and besides this slow down,
there is 1 other fact you can be absolutely sure off.
Can you please tell me what it is ?

Greetings,
Marcel.
---ooOoo---