achieving goals

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

achieving goals

Post by fortune » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:02 am

i want to know how you can aim towards a goal without getting to wrapped up in the goal. i do boxing and whenever i train with my ego i don't improve that much i am thinking about how great i am and then when i have a off session my ego says how bad i am, it thinks about all the attention i'll get from girls, it gets motivated easily and then when the hard work comes which is in the present moment it says it cant be bothered, it thinks about other peoples perceptions of you, it basically only thinks about the future and the future doesn't even exist but the most important point is that it is trying to find an identity through it so it can find out who i am. It wants to say this is your name and a boxer is who you are but i am simply "i am".
When my ego is not involved i'm in what sportsmen call the zone. your totally focused on what your doing now, you want the hard work and enthusiasm and enjoyment flood in but it's hard to be like this all the time, it comes for a few weeks then fades off a little bit but it's fantastic.

How can i have a lot of motivation, enthusiasm and focus but stay in the present moment, want to be the best but not getting to egoic about it but also handle disapointment well?

i'd like to have as many replies as possible please, this is the biggest trick my mind is trying to play on me.

if i can slove this problem it would be a huge chunk of consciousness gained.

Mason

Re: achieving goals

Post by Mason » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:01 am

When my ego is not involved i'm in what sportsmen call the zone
That's one way to look at it, here's another:

When your ego is not involved, you are in the zone.
When your ego is involved, you are not in the zone.
But, if neither you or your ego is involved, you are not in the zone, you ARE the zone.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:07 am

I don't know how old you are, fortune, but Eckhart mentioned in the third or fourth Eprah webinar (Feb-Mar, 2008) that the ego is very strong in people in their 20's and younger. He did not say why, or that it was good or bad, just that it was. I think that egoic pursuits are still very much supported by mainstream society, and that Pure Awareness might "sound sweet" to novices, but actually is not a wonder tonic for forming relationships not based on ego.

Stop being an ego-cop. When you recognize egoic behavior, smile and let it go. Doesn't mean you continue it, doesn't mean you don't continue it. Just being aware of the egoic drive in you and in culture is a really good start.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Plorel

Post by Plorel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 pm

but Eckhart mentioned in the third or fourth Eprah webinar (Feb-Mar, 2008) that the ego is very strong in people in their 20's and younger.
From my personal experience this is true. I guess it may be because mind still believes it can find lasting happiness and peace in relationships, wealth, profession etc. There was no time to get disillusioned yet. I guess first we have to fail trying to achieve lasting peace through life- and self improvement. Then (if we are lucky) the neccessary humility can settle in to look inside and notice the peace that was always there.
Who am I without my story?

fortune

Post by fortune » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 am

what about disapointment? should i just watch how my mind labels the moment as disapointing or how do you deal with it

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 am

fortune wrote:what about disapointment? should i just watch how my mind labels the moment as disapointing or how do you deal with it
Like any other experience that comes your way, feel fully any disapointment you encounter, but know that it's just another experience passing through your true nature - clear, undefined, present awareness. To the degree that you identify with experience, resist it, or try to hold it, it will dominate your perspective and cause you more pain than it otherwise might. See it as just another passing form, or point of view, and it can have no lasting hold on you. All conditions are just forms of awareness.

WW

fortune

Post by fortune » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:23 am

the ego is trying to find an identity and we suffer because we can't find out who we are by a mental label but who are we, what is our true nature who am i because i'm not a mental label and not this physical body i am in

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 am

'You' is Ego, 'We' is ego, 'They' is Ego, 'Us' is Ego, 'Our' is Ego, 'Me' is Ego, 'Mine' is Ego, 'Yours' is Ego

If you are neither a mental label nor the body then you are not individual, and there are no others at all that exist.

Big Breath

Post by Big Breath » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 am

Check out "The Inner Game of Tennis"

It deals with “command and control” self-dialogue that interferes with learning and performance. When there is a lot going on in the mind of tennis students that prevents true focus of attention. Learn to explore ways to focus the mind of the player on direct and non-judgmental observation.

There are other INNER GAME books [ music, golf, skiing ], but the goal is the same, to get awareness of the task and lose the mind chatter.