What's the difference between WANTING and NEEDING?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
arel

What's the difference between WANTING and NEEDING?

Post by arel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 pm

What do you guys think?
What I say is only my viewpoint.

Mason

Re: the difference

Post by Mason » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 am

It's always the case that you want what you want, but it's rarely the case that you need what you want.
"Presence is your absence" ~enigma.

Ananda

Re: What's the difference between WANTING and NEEDING?

Post by Ananda » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 am

Wanting comes from thinking, needing comes from the body itself.

tod

Post by tod » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:18 pm

As seen here, needing is a more obsessive form of wanting.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

randomguy thinks:

Is there such a thing as need?
There is aparent movement to take water into body.
This is only story. What thinks it needs to happen? It happens. This is.

"Need" is thought. The interpretation of the felt experience of "need" is dream.
(Dream is, is experienced, yet less than necessary, less than efficient, reality illuminates the folly.
This and the realization of this is all part of the experience of a human story)

In jumping from the path of a moving bus, "need" may or may not be introduced with conceptual interpretation.

What believes it needed to jump? What believes it can or did jump?

This is. This jumps is story. This needs is dream. This wants is dream. Dream is an experienced human story.
This is. This thinks it experiences story.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Max Power

Post by Max Power » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:00 am

Both are words that define egoic lack.

As the universe (you) are always complete, then anything added is only ego defining something it thinks is missing.

Money, peace, love, joy, these define things the ego seeks and often thinks are lacking or in short supply and yet they are everywhere 24/7, by definition the ego can't survive when there is full abundance, that's why the efgoic you creates lack on purpose.

The ego (thinks) it has taken over, while all the time you observe.

You can never get what you want or need, for everything wanted and needed has an opposite by creation, so even when you get what you want and/or need, it never lasts.

It's best to not need or want anything....then everything will be added.

Max

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:26 am

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion in here.

Need comes from necessity, the body has various necessities, or needs, it has in order to maintain itself and stay alive. There will always be needs for as long as the body remains. Wanting is not the same as needing, because wanting comes from choice - the desire for choosing something over something else. Want is the product of thinking, but necessity is the needs of the body. There's a clear difference between the two. You can go without wants, but needs you will always have to fulfill.

arel

Post by arel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:01 pm

I sense that fear plays a part in the difference between wanting and needing.
So I wander, if I had no fear of physical death, would I ever need anything?
I have no personal experience of having no fear of death, so I wander...
What I say is only my viewpoint.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:37 pm

They're both present participles. :D

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm

>Need comes from necessity,

What is necessity?

>the body has various necessities, or needs, it has in order to maintain itself and stay alive.

It seems to tend that way, yes. Can you really really know that it is even alive though? What clasified that with unchallenging authority? What holds to this as truth?

>There will always be needs for as long as the body remains.

What is all the needing about? What viewpoint of reality requires acceptance of the story: life in the body, alive bodies need x? What falls apart when one "dies"? What are the consequences of specific identified needs not being met? What identifies them? Has someone died of thirst? Was this an unfulfilled need? What decides that? Does reality cry at death, does it prefer life? Is anything violated at death? Is death a consequence of needs unmet? Unmet by whom? What knows need? What is need without thought?

>Wanting is not the same as needing, because wanting comes from choice - the desire for choosing something over something else. Want is the product of thinking, but necessity is the needs of the body. There's a clear difference between the two. You can go without wants, but needs you will always have to fulfill.

What is the body? Why the distinction between the body and reality? Does reality have needs that "you will always have to fulfill?" (Who identifies and fulfills them?) Isn't the only distinction between the body and reality that there is identity with a viewpoint and a conceptual story of what is?
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Mason

Post by Mason » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:29 pm

randomguy wrote:What is the body? Why the distinction between the body and reality? Does reality have needs that "you will always have to fulfill?" (Who identifies and fulfills them?) Isn't the only distinction between the body and reality that there is identity with a viewpoint and a conceptual story of what is?
That is certainly the case from the ultimate perspective, but every time I read a post like that one I can't help but think of the relative. This one minute rant [see link] puts it about as well as I have ever heard it said; it's a little blunt, but it makes a good point also... http://tinyurl.com/y9x7pfr

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:33 am

randomguy
Let the body go for a week without food, water, or excretion. Then you will see what need is.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:41 am

Ananda wrote:Let the body go for a week without food, water, or excretion. Then you will see what need is.
Oh man, at least give me excretion! :) (You had me at food and water, you had me at food and water...)
I have fasted, actually. The experience of wanting and needing seemed to reduce as the fast went on. Just my experience though.
Mason, that link is funny. I don't mean to be an experience denier and advocate placing yourself in pain to test the "realness". That not the intention, just to explore from where the concept of need arises. Only in attachment to thought can it exist with validation. In my experience, pain and discomfort are experiences that do not necessitate attachment to a belief that something is needed. Just a viewpoint. What I noted as dream and story weren't intended to be painted as a somehow unreal portion of reality. Oh well. Won't be the last blathering post from me I'm sure.
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 am

randomguy wrote: Only in attachment to thought can it exist with validation.
It's got nothing to do with the "dream story" nor the "individual". The body groaning and wracked with malnutrition is enough to show that there are obviously things which it NEEDS. In the same way that a diseased body is in NEED of medical treatment. If you do not think it's needed, by all means I dare you to not seek medical attention in the event that your body becomes ill. Such denial can only come about from folly, who would equate the Self with a body? The needs of the body are not your needs, why would you be concerned with denying their reality? The body has needs, whether or not thinking is present. Belief isn't required in order to know the body is hungry, it tells you directly when it needs food!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Ananda wrote:If you do not think it's needed, by all means I dare you to not seek medical attention in the event that your body becomes ill.
OK, now you have my poor body thirsty, starving, ill and worst of all not excreting. Hey, what are friends for? :)
The tests you propose are not necessary, only exploring what is the body. But let's go there hypothetically for fun. Lets say I'm starving, ill, in pain, and have a ruptured bladder. At last a cup of apple juice is placed at the feet. Let me ask you this, what thought if any is required to be believed for the body to take a sip (or not take a sip)? Does this belief have any affect on whether the body takes a sip? What (if anything) thinks the body needs to take a sip? What is attached to the outcome of whether the body takes a sip or not?
The needs of the body are not your needs, why would you be concerned with denying their reality?
There is no concern or intention in denying reality. I am merely asking about these identified needs of the body: what is their reality?
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho