Inner body or mindfulness?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
xkatex

Inner body or mindfulness?

Post by xkatex » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Which for you is the best way of becoming present, trying to connect with the inner body or noticing things around you? I have experienced problems with both portals, I feel as though when i try to feel my inner body there is too much trying involved, i become tense and too concentrated on trying to feel the inner body that I miss what I am trying to focus on, but when I practice mindfulness, I find myself sometimes doing things a lot more slowly when they need to be done quickly, e.g. exams! And I tend to think lots about being in the present moment without actually relaxing and enjoying it. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and has overcome them?

Marcel Franke

Re: Inner body or mindfulness?

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm

You are already present.
The experience there is right now,
whatever it may be,
the bare fact of all that is here right now,
can that be denied ?
---ooOoo---

enigma

Post by enigma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:13 am

I'm going to step out of character and for once suggest a practice. You may need to devote several hours to this practice, so clear your schedule. For the first hour, chant a mantra of your choice, then relax the body and put yourself into a deep meditation, and then use whatever means necessary in order to NOT be present.

In God's universe, all things are possible.....well, except being absent.

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 pm

enigma wrote:I'm going to step out of character and for once suggest a practice...
I ran outside to see if cows were jumping over the moon... :D

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

My experience of being present was similar to yours. It feels artificial and dull. The mind simply prescribes itself a slow and dull period and calls it presence.

I recommend Awareness and Release. Awareness is simply effortless noticing, instinctive recognition, or passive watchfulness. If that doesn't make sense, try 'observing thought' or stringing together short moments of awareness many times over till it is automatic (greatfreedom.org).

I recommend Release because many of us come to this from misery and Release can help with that, and can show us that holding on is a choice we make.

The practices can help settle the heavy points of view in awareness and show at some point that practice itself is just another point of view in awareness.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:55 pm

I bet they WERE karmirider!! I just said "Urrgh" but am still sticking with Marcel :lol:

enigma

Post by enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:18 pm

karmarider wrote:
enigma wrote:I'm going to step out of character and for once suggest a practice...
I ran outside to see if cows were jumping over the moon... :D
I don't think that happened, but it's possible hell froze over! Hehe.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 pm

How about a practice of visualizing hell freezing over....and then thawing it?
Be present, be pleasant.

enigma

Post by enigma » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:35 am

Okay, why not? Sounds about as useful as any other practice. :twisted:

thenow

Post by thenow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:46 am

From my experience, I would say the reason why "now" is so hard to focus for people is because we just have too many stuff layered on us--emotions, body tension, thoughts, memories. I know that in theory we are supposed to be able to "just be", "just be aware of all things around you."

Without a process, without a trigger, I never was able to "just be."

Looking back, I think I just have too much conditioned responses to things, past, present, and future, that I don't know how to just be present anymore.

A lot of the responses are hidden that have gone into our subconsciousness. Without a process, it's hard to reach just by will power.

For me the trigger was a breaking up of my own self-identity, due to a traumatic loss of relationship. The process is to undo the conditioned layers of reactions---through intense meditation.

This is my route any way. And this was the only way that worked for me.

I would also say that inner energy (inner body) is the thing that centers us in the now, no matter what route we take. Get it out and then get it settled, we will be totally present and can't be affected easily.

jackh

Post by jackh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:42 am

Kate, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Ever since I found Tolle about a year and a half ago, I've made it a point to be in pretty much constant contact with the inner body, but while it definitely helps keep me from being lost in thought, Tolle says "Please notice where your attention is at this moment. It is on these words and peripherally on your surroundings. But there's no reason these have to take up all of your attention".. and says to keep some attention within, but I've found that it's actually very difficult for me to feel the inner body and pay attention to anything else.. in fact, if I'm taking an exam as you say, I have to make it a point not to feel the inner body, because when I do I'll move really slowly on the test and frankly not even process what I'm reading a lot of the time. It's almost like you say, I'm thinking about being present more than I am being present.. like maybe feeling the inner body actually directs my attention to getting more distracted by individual thoughts. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong because I should be able to keep doing what I'm doing while feeling the inner body. It feels right now like I have to oscillate between them.

The breath is helpful though..

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Ok so I tried both portals recently, the inner body at the weekend and the mindfulness approach yesterday and today. I find that the inner body portal made me extremely peaceful, but I kept losing the peace after a while and kept trying to return to the state I was in before; my mind just would not stop and it made me focus less on tasks etc. I found I was missing the beauty around me by trying to focus on the inner body. However when I tried mindfulness, although I fall out of presence occasionally also, I find it is much easier to bring my attention back to the task I am doing, paying attention to every little part of it, all my senses etc. It brings me lots of joy, and I find the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh particularly helpful with this. Mindfulness is the portal I will be using from now on, although everyone is different and some people prefer the inner body or the portal of silence etc. :)

Thank you everyone for your help, it would be nice to hear further thoughts on this. :)

xkatex

Post by xkatex » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm

And also in school I find it best to focus completely on the task XD
This is a video that I found really helpful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mKJGOiOQBE

Remember that all portals are the same, so when you are walking, pay attention to how your legs feel, how it feels to breathe, how the rest of your body feels, the clothes on your skin, life is so rich. :)
Listen truly attentively to people, feel the closeness of that person when you hug them or kiss them. It is all so beautiful :)

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Well I don't know! Give it any name you please but here is an eg. of my take.....was washing up with tea towel in hand, two saucers also, going to swap them and dry them together, you know as one does? or does one? (No one does not if one has a dishwasher!!) Anyway all of a sudden I said " you are not ........!"(fill in the blanks with your own words!!) my mind was thinking of other things ....suddenly I "saw" the saucer, the skin of water, the tea towel....that's what I call ....welll give it any name you please :lol: In other words you just need a "shake up" or did the Chinese monks slap you on the head? Nah as Marcel says its just here, that's a bit further than I have gone, I used to say " I am beyond Zen!" :lol: You can be 100 yards down the road or several million miles, me the former and Marcel the latter(that's if I understand him rightly!!! :roll: )

enigma

Post by enigma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:21 am

Attention cannot be divided at any given moment. You cannot attend to the body and also attend to a thinking task, but awareness is not the same as attention. Attention is focused and constricted while Awareness is not. The purpose of giving attention to the body is that attention is presumed to be in the thoughts and bringing attention to the body forces attention into the present because the body is always present.
Awareness cannot be divided. You are aware as a prerequisite to being aware of anything. Awareness is the foundation on which attention is formed.