Resistance Is Futile Vs. The Fight For Life

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
jackc

Resistance Is Futile Vs. The Fight For Life

Post by jackc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi All,

Back with another question that I've been stuck on.

"Resistance Is Futile" has become my mantra. I'm learning how my anxiety, depression, and frustration stems from nonacceptance and my "unconscious resistance to what is". This helps. Sometimes to the point that I could cry for joy.

However, I'm troubled with truly adopting this disposition. We are taught that an End doesn't always justify a Means. Fighting, Resisting, and Unacceptane are all negative emotions/actions, a Means by which can not bring about a positive End.

Thats fine... but,

What would have happened if people like Martin Luther King and other Civil Rights leaders would have accepted "what is"? Just for an example. How do you balance Peace and Acceptance, the Now?

I mean, arent there things (even about the present) that one should not ever accept? Arent there times to stand up and fight? Is having goals and a vision of what you want for your future contrary with living in the Now? Is there no place to kick ass, take names, saying "f-this, I'm not living like this, I'm not accepting this, things are going to change"?

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Plorel

Re: Resistance Is Futile Vs. The Fight For Life

Post by Plorel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Hey jack

You don`t do acceptance. A state of acceptance is your natural state, its an expression of what you truely are. If you think you can create acceptance somehow, you are on the wrong track. You have forgotten that you are one with life. You have created a me and something outside of me which is subject to your opinion. Thats the beginning of seperation. Just let go and see that you are already accepting without doing anything. And from that state of peace and freedom, you can change whatever you want.
Who am I without my story?

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 pm

This acceptance is the letting go of inner resistance of the ego to what is presently unfolding. It is already unfolding--only the ego is crazy enough to resist.

The ego tries to change what has already happened through thought-stories. It thinks it can get energy and motivation to act by resisting and suffering.

Acceptance is not necessarily passivity.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:16 am

Hey Jack,

Acceptance does not mean inaction. "You" accept the present moment only, not your story about the present moment. ET uses the example of being stuck in the mud. "You" accept the you are stuck, you cannot change that right now so there is no use in fighting what is already happening. "You" do not resign yourself to being stuck and do nothing. "You" accept the situation and take the appropriate action. Action taken place from acceptance is more powerful and effective than action taken place from the position of resistence. I hope this helps to answer your question.

enigma

Post by enigma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm

karmarider wrote: The ego tries to change what has already happened through thought-stories. It thinks it can get energy and motivation to act by resisting and suffering.
Since the original question has been answered very well, I'll address this because it's very interesting, and very true. It seems to go something like this: Mind will interfere with a spontaneous action, perhaps due to internal conflict, or the desire to control, or fear; some self identifying overlay. By 'spontaneous action' I mean one that has not already been distorted by an egoic motivation. If the thought arises to murder your wife so that you can marry the neighbor lady and not have to go through a messy divorce and lose half your income, this is not a spontaneous thought uncontaminated by ego attachment, but if the thought arises to form a neighborhood co-op or stop a mother from beating her child in the grocery store, or just to sit down and get your bills paid, this may very well be spontaneous until mind goes to work on it.

When mind starts thinking about all this, resistance may form. I don't mean thinking about how to accomplish the task, which may be necessary, I mean adding an overlay of internal conflict (Do I have a right to interfere with a mother's God given right to beat the crap out of her kid?) or the desire to control (I resent having to pay the bills so I'll show those bastards and send it in late).

The internal conflict, fear, judgment, what if's, etc are the suffering resulting from this sort of thinking, and it is the failure of acceptance; acceptance being the absence of this self supporting egoic overlay of thought. In spite of the suffering, it benefits the ego identity in many ways. It creates the illusion of control, the illusion of safety and reinforces the illusion of personal identity. The common denominator being 'illusion'.